Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
The-Ladies-Room
0 Kudos

Susan Mallery Talks About Her Fools Gold Series and Only Mine

Only Mine (Fool's Gold Series #4)  

Susan:   Each book in the Fool’s Gold series is a stand alone novel, meaning that you won’t get lost if you read them out of order. Fool’s Gold is a town facing a serious (and seriously funny) problem – the 2010 census revealed that the town is suffering from a man shortage. Fool’s Gold has become the punch line of countless jokes on TV talk shows, which makes the strong, independent women in town pretty darn crabby... and which attracts the attention of a sleazy TV producer.

In ONLY MINE, it’s Dakota Hendrix’s job to interview potential contestants. After she recommends two handsome young twins for the show, the twins’ gorgeous, stern older brother demands that she declare them unfit. Finn Anderson wants his brothers to return to college. Finn has raised the boys since their parents died, and he won’t consider his duty done until they graduate. While Finn does everything he can to strong-arm or coerce his brothers back to Alaska, Dakota is struggling with a problem of her own, a problem so big that it will change the course of her life.

You can read free excerpts at www.foolsgoldca.com. You’ll find lots of freebies and fun bonus content there, too!

How did you come up with your Fool's Gold series?

Susan:   I knew I wanted to create a series based on a place. In the past, I’d written series based on a family, so once I ran out of siblings, I ran out of stories. Readers kept asking me for more in every series. They loved that sense of connection, and they wanted it to go on. Debbie Macomber was the one who suggested I stop writing about families and start writing about a place. With a place, the story possibilities are infinite. (Debbie Macomber) is like my Mayor Marsha – I never say no to Debbie! She’s a genius.)

The place itself needed to have a strong identity. As I was brainstorming the series, I heard a story about the then-upcoming 2010 census, about everything a town can discover about itself from census results. I wondered, “What if there was a man shortage?”

So Fool’s Gold was born… the town with the man shortage. But instead of making the women eager to get more men to town, I tweaked reader expectations and made the women strong, self-sufficient, and kind of crabby that anyone would think they need more men. They can run the town just fine without men. Which means that any men who do move to Fool’s Gold have to earn the right to live there. . . and they have to earn the hearts of the women they love.

www.FoolsGoldCA.com http://www.foolsgoldca.com/ is my gift to readers who have been so loyal to me. I wanted to create an experience for readers that goes beyond the books. On FoolsGoldCA.com, readers will find amazing bonus content such as between-the-books updates, stories, and pictures from the characters’ weddings, Fool’s Gold magazines, a map of town, funny ads from local businesses… I could keep going, but the truth is, you have to see it to get it. Fool’s Gold is the Land of Happy Endings!

What draws Dakota and Finn to each other?

Susan:    At their core, Finn and Dakota both value their families more than anything. Finn thinks he wants to be done with his familial duty. He wants to get his brothers through college so he can return to his days as a carefree bachelor, but he will learn that he’s not that person anymore. Somewhere along the way, he grew up. At heart, he’s a family man.

You love to write about families, such as the Hendrix triplets. Why?

Susan: I was an only child, so I love writing about the big, boisterous family that I never had. Triplets are an extension of that – three sisters who have been together since birth. Each of the triplets has her own personality, but the experiences these three women have shared throughout their lives make them as close as it’s possible to be.

You’re known for both the depth of your characters and for your humor. Do both come naturally to you?

Susan: I think men and women falling in love with each other is inherently hysterical. Who came up with that bright idea? Men do everything they can to avoid emotion, and yet they’re irresistibly drawn to women, who overflow with emotion. When I get teary-eyed over a commercial, my husband looks at me like I’m completely nuts. There’s this constant push-pull between men and women that never really goes away, and it will always be funny to me.

Most of my storylines are not funny in and of themselves. My characters deal with some very serious issues in their lives, but their ability to find the humor says a lot about their resilience. I like people in real life who can laugh at themselves, and I like that in characters, too.

Do you plot your books before writing?

Susan:   I do a lot of plotting in advance, which means I can write the story quickly, which further means that I don’t lose interest. For me, the creative rush is highest during the plotting process, and the actual
writing of the book is more about getting the story down on paper. I’ve tried writing without a plot, and it just doesn’t work for me. I enjoy the aspect of surprise, but I dread revisions. Even when a book is thoroughly plotted, though, the characters can sometimes surprise me. I was sweetly surprised by a secondary romance in ONLY MINE.

How many more Fool’s Gold books will you write?

Susan:   There will be at least seven more books after this year’s. In 2012, three delicious cowboy brothers and their younger sister will move to Fool’s Gold.

And in 2013, I think I’m going to establish a bodyguard academy on the edge of town. After that, who knows? If readers clamor for more from Fool’s Gold, anything’s possible. (You can let me know you want more by writing to me at www.facebook.com/susanmallery, www.twitter.com/susanmallery, or
www.goodreads.com/susanmallery.)

Are you working on anything new outside of Fool's Gold?

Susan:   BAREFOOT SEASON, my next women’s fiction novel, will be out in April 2012 and will launch a new series set on quaint Blackberry Island. The story is about two former best friends who form a turbulent truce to save the inn they both love.

Contributor
The-Ladies-Room
0 Kudos

Only Mine - Fresh Fiction's Top Pick

Fresh Fiction has chosen Only Mine for it's TOP PICK!

New User
AngelaMac
0 Kudos

Re: Susan Mallery Talks About Her Fools Gold Series and Only Mine

I love Susan Mallery's books! I read the "Perfect" trilogy last year--the first books in the Fool's Gold series--and just fell in love with the characters and the town. This year, we get the triplet's stories! I loved Dakota in Only Mine. She's incredibly strong and smart. I love how she stands up to Finn and their dialogue is just fantastic! I can't wait for Only Yours and Montana's story. Keep writing Fool's Gold, Susan!! We LOVE it!!

New User
Charlotte64
0 Kudos

Ive read 90% of Susan Mallery's book and loved every one of them.  But this Fools Gold series has me in stitches and tears when I read them.  She is a wonderful author and I am a total fan of hers for any of her books.  She can write a book with so many twist and turns it keeps you guessing till the end.  Has you laughing so loud everyone looks at you funny and crying and they ask what's wrong.  I love delving into one of her books to bring out the triplets Dakota, Montana and Nevada in this 3 book series.  ONLY MINE is the first and Dakota meets and falls for Finn and they are a awesome couple with a beautiful baby on the way.  Thanks for the AWESOME review with Susan.

Charlotte Sepulveda
Simply Beadwear
http://simply-beadwear2011.weebly.com/
New User
ReaderGirl87
0 Kudos

This series has been so wonderful, I wish it didn't have to end!  I know all good things must but for right now I am thoroughly enjoying it!  Susan's writing is a gift!

Contributor
The-Ladies-Room
0 Kudos

Susan Mallery Talks Abnout Book#5, Only Yours