becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tell Me Lies by Jennifer Crusie

I just reread this book, one of my all-time favorite Crusie books.  Here's why:

The whole frozen brownie scene that starts on page 7, especially:

"Uh, bad day?" he asked.

Oh great, he knew about Brent, too.  Maddie scowled harder at him.  "What makes you think so?"

He pointed at her left hand.  "The knife.  Big sucker, too."

She glanced down.  She still had the blade clenched in her hand, poised to jab.  "I was eating a brownie."

C.L. nodded, not looking relieved at all.

Also:

The scene with Maddie and C.L. that starts on page 90.  So many things I love about this scene, including the whole orange juice/vodka part and: 

"The crickets were vocal but slowing down, probably from exhaustion.  Maddie pictured them rubbing their thighs together frantically in unison.  They must have the thinnest thighs in the insect world."

And:

"If she'd stuck with C.L. twenty years ago, her back door would work."
And:

"And you both have kids."  C.L. shook his head.  "Hard to believe.  I leave town for twenty years and you both lose your heads."

"We just did it to fill the downtime until you got back," Maddie said.
Frequent Contributor
Jody1S
0 Kudos

Re: Tell Me Lies by Jennifer Crusie

Hi, Becke,

How are you?  I think I'm going to have to start this book this weekend......lol   Just thought I'd let you know that I LOVE Jennifer Crusie and the way she writes.....its all because of you.......:smileyhappy:  So far I've  read Bet Me, Anyone but You, Charlie All Night, and right now I'm currently reading Crazy For You.

I have just started Crazy For You, but I have loved them all........they are so fun to read and once you get started, you can't put it down.  I'm going to have to make a trip to the Half Price Book Store and pick up Tell me Lies.  I love having an actual reason to show up at the bookstore.  Unlike most of the other times I go there is usually just because I can't stay away.....lol

Have a great day!!!

Jody
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Crazy for You is the one with Davy Dempsey and Tilda, isn't it?  I loved that one.  I read that one before Welcome to Temptation and only later discovered those two are connected.  You don't have to read them in order, or as a series, but Davy's sister is the star of WTT.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Crazy for You is the one with Davy Dempsey and Tilda, isn't it?  I loved that one.  I read that one before Welcome to Temptation and only later discovered those two are connected.  You don't have to read them in order, or as a series, but Davy's sister is the star of WTT.

Faking It is the one with Davy and Tilda, no?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

You're right -- I've been on a rereading Crusie binge and I tend to mix up the titles.  Crazy for You is actually one of Crusie's darker books.  I think it would make a really good movie!

And Welcome to Temptation is connected to Faking It -- thanks, Melanie.  Having a senior moment, obviously.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I love anything Crusie. It's been a while since I read Crazy for you so I'll have to work out some of the cobwebs to remember it. I also like her books with Bob Mayer.
I think my favorite is Bet Me.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I think I'm going to have a Crusie month and just reread everything.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:
I think I'm going to have a Crusie month and just reread everything.

That's what I've been doing.  The last one I reread was Anyone But You.  What the Lady Wants is up next.
Author
J_Stephens
0 Kudos

There were so many funny parts of this book that I found it hard to put down.  Just CL's name makes me laugh, since it came about because he was called "Chopped Liver."

Crusie's heroes seem to fall in love with her ladies quickly, which is outside the norm. Then the men have to convince the women to love them back.  I like that her characters are not perfect, either. 

Julianna

Learn more about Escaping The Past.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

J_Stephens wrote:
There were so many funny parts of this book that I found it hard to put down.  Just CL's name makes me laugh, since it came about because he was called "Chopped Liver."

Crusie's heroes seem to fall in love with her ladies quickly, which is outside the norm. Then the men have to convince the women to love them back.  I like that her characters are not perfect, either. 

Julianna

Her books are a lot more realistic than usual, too, in that sex is not always perfect, women worry about what underwear they have on, the women aren't perfect and the guys all have quirks.  And there are always dogs or occasionally cats, and they have as much personality as the hero and heroine, which I love.  Plus her books always make me laugh.  Any book that can do that is worth the price, and then some.
Author
J_Stephens
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

J_Stephens wrote:

Julianna

Her books are a lot more realistic than usual, too, in that sex is not always perfect, women worry about what underwear they have on, the women aren't perfect and the guys all have quirks.  And there are always dogs or occasionally cats, and they have as much personality as the hero and heroine, which I love.  Plus her books always make me laugh.  Any book that can do that is worth the price, and then some.

I completely agree.  She has one book where the female character is so far in her own head she's comparing sex to a rumba.  Then the hero says "Come on!" and she finally gets it.    I wish I could remember the name because I loved that book. 

The dogs submissively pee on the rug.  And the cats look like patchwork quilts. 

Julianna,
who wishes she could write humor like that

Learn more about Escaping The Past.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think that scene might have been in Faking It, but there are similar scenes in a couple of the books.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I think that scene might have been in Faking It, but there are similar scenes in a couple of the books.

Faking It was my first Cruisie book and it really cracked me up. What a strange family! I guess most of the families are strange in her books but it's in a humorous way. That book had me hooked and I've read most of her books since then. I haven't had time for Agnes and the Hitman yet though and look forward to reading it.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Faking It was my first Cruisie book and it really cracked me up. What a strange family! I guess most of the families are strange in her books but it's in a humorous way. That book had me hooked and I've read most of her books since then. I haven't had time for Agnes and the Hitman yet though and look forward to reading it.

Agnes is a wild ride with everything from sad flamingos to a skillet-wielding heroine.  I loved it!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Agnes is a wild ride with everything from sad flamingos to a skillet-wielding heroine.  I loved it!

That's good to know! I really look forward to reading it. I already had it from the library but had to return it unread because I was too busy with book club reading. Sometime soon...                  *sigh*
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

ok so yeahive read some of her books...i get the titles mixed up though... . getting rid of bradley, crazy for you, tell me lies, welcome to temptation, strange bedpartners, and charlie all night, some titles. tell me lies was great...i read in sometihng like 7 hours....her books are funny and the romance is always the best:smileyhappy:
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"