Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Texas Trio: Three Recommended Reads, with a Q&A!

[ Edited ]
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: Texas Trio: Three Recommended Reads, with a Q&A!

Q&A with LORI WILDE!!!

Q: You're a Texan born and raised. Are there any real cowboys/girls in your family?

A: On both sides, my family members were farmers so in that regard everyone is familiar with cows and horses and other farm "critters". We favor boots and blue jeans and we've been known to wear cowboy hats. I was raised on chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy. But as far as "real" cowboys go, that's my sister's husband who was involved with team roping, worked as a farrier and still raises horses even though he's also a high school history teacher. My husband's mother was a "real" cowgirl woho could do handstands on the back of a horse and had her own pet bull. She was raised on  the King Ranch in South, Teaxas, and still fills my ears with colorful stories of her girlhood.

Q: The fictional town of Juliee, Texas, is billed as "the horse cutting capital of the world." Is there  such a place?

A: Yep, it's my hometown, but I changed the name to protect the guilty.

Q: You make small town Texas seem like an amazing place to live. The whole town welcomed Mariah (from The Cowboy Takes a Bride ) as family, whether she wanted it or not. Is Texas really that friendly? Would you ever consider moving somewhere else?

A: Texas is a friendly place. My sister-in-law moved here from California seventeen years ago and still comments on what a friendly place this is. Texas can be a harsh land. We have tornadoes and hailstorms, sizzling summer temperatures that regularly shoot over 100 degrees, frequent droughts and grass fires, grassburs, briars, thorns and sting bull nettles, rattlesnakes and snapping turtles. My theory is that folks are so welcoming here because the land is not. My roots run deep in Texas soil. I'm fifth generation Texan. So I haven't ever really thouhght about moving away from home. Plus, we don't have a state income tax.

Q: Joe Daniel's (also from The Cowboy Takes a Bride ) horse Miracle is inured after a car accident. Miracle is physically healed, but our new leading cowboy, Brady Talmadge is a "horse whisperer" brought in to heal him mentally. What exactly is a horse whisperer? Is this a real occupation?

A: Yes, poor Miracle goes through quite a trauma. Horse Whisperer is a real occupation. Although "horse listener" might be a better term. Horse whisperers are people who instinctively know how to observe horse behavior and draw conclusions from it. They speak the language of horses and because of this talent they are able to heal psychologically damaged horses where others cannot. Two famous horse whisperers are Monty Roberts and Buck Brannaman.

Q: What do you think makes cowboys so appealing as heroes in romance?

A: Cowboys are strong, stalwart, and possess a code of honor. While they are loners, by and large, they are also natural caretakers and protectors. What's not to love?

Q: Princess Annabella's favorite movie is Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn playing Princess Anne who escapes for a brief interlude of common life. Did you draw inspiration from any other classic stories, or fairy tales?

A: Every fairy tale ever told! I cut my teeth on Grimm's fairy tales and what little girl doesn't dream of being a princess? I do turn the princess mystique on its head a bit with Annabella, as she dreams of being an ordinary girl.

Q: Next up for Jubilee, Texas, is a A Cowboy for Christmas . Can you give us an insider's sneak peak at who's falling in love next?

A: After the death of her husband in Afghanistan, Lissette gets an unexpected second chance at love.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

The third Texas-set book I read this week is....

drumroll...

True Blue  by Diana Palmer. This Harlequin edition came out at the end of last year, and it's been sitting on my desk along with a growing collection of Palmer titles. I was so wrapped up in Texas that I finally picked one up - a book that was billed as part of the "Long, Tall Texans" series was just what I was looking for!

Set in San Antonio, this is the story of Detective Rick Marquez, who has many friendships with women but hasn't been able to find the right one. There's one woman who catches his eye, Detective Gwen Cassaway, but they work together, and, to Rick, that means hands off.

Of course, you know, it's a romance. Hands off doesn't last very long. However, this is what you'd call a sweet book. Rick and Gwen's courtship is pure and romantic, and if you like a story where the sensuality level is on the light side, then this one is for you.

I enjoyed it. I wish all the men in Connecticut look the way they do in romance-land Texas.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

I've read all of the Whispering Mountain books, and they're all really good. Jodi thomas is amazing at capturing the historical West. I can't wait to read it. But, for reference, Do you know if this is Duck's story? the one who the brothers took in from an outlaw gang?

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Cheyenne_Catina wrote:

I've read all of the Whispering Mountain books, and they're all really good. Jodi thomas is amazing at capturing the historical West. I can't wait to read it. But, for reference, Do you know if this is Duck's story? the one who the brothers took in from an outlaw gang?

Yes: it's Duck's story.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

That makes me so much more anxious! ever since she started on the next generation I've been waiting for his book.

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"