Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lydia1087
0 Kudos

The Time Travelers Wife

[ Edited ]

Im in the process of reading this book and even though its not one of the most exciting books I have ever read it is still a good read. After I finished with the book Im heading straight to the movies.What do you think of the book?

"Loves not what we see in our eyes, but in our hearts." My personal quote

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: The Time Travelers Wife

Hi Lydia1087,

This book was our book club pick last October, so we had quite a discussion about it. You can read it here.

Hope you like it! I didn't see the movie...

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie, are you going to check out the movie? If so let us know what you think about it.

I have a hard time with books that become movies because they murder it so much sometimes.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Melanie, are you going to check out the movie? If so let us know what you think about it.

I have a hard time with books that become movies because they murder it so much sometimes.

I won't be able to see the movie until it comes to DVD. But I agree with you, I always distrust movies-from-books, especially books that were good. [For an example of what I mean, see the debacle that is The Other Boleyn Girl. :smileywink:]

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Can someone who has read this please explain to me about how being abandoned could in any way possibly be romantic?

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Can someone who has read this please explain to me about how being abandoned could in any way possibly be romantic?

Are you referring to Clare being left by Henry when he time-traveled? I really didn't see it as being abandoned, more like dealing with circumstances beyond their control.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Hi Tig,

first of all I really don't think this was a romance novel, however, I do think it was a love story.

And how could Henry not have left her. I don't see that there was a choice that he was given. I guess if fate had been kinder the outcome might have been different. But without the knowledge that Claire had about him from knowing him all of her life, how could she not have fallen in love with him. I mean really she knew what she was getting into far better than Henry ever did. And I can see her frustration when he suddenly disappears from her life for who knows how long, but where were the choices.

I don't feel that he abandoned her at all, if he could have stopped time traveling he would have in an instant.

Any way that's my opinion for what it's worth.

New User
Sadeerose
0 Kudos

I like your style.  I agree, I had a hard time reading this book and it was hard for me to understand how this book was a true romance.  The whole time Clare waited on him.  Even in the very end after he died, she waited forty years to see him one last time.  I guess you can see it sweet in some levels but for me it was depressing.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Debbie, I am reading Time Travelor's Wife. I am liking it but how sad would that be to have the person you love come in and out of your life. but never how when. I don't know if I could do that.  You have to have a very strong love to endure years of that.

It is a good book. I like the way it is written. I do want to see the movie. It looks good from the trailers I have seen on tv.

ReadingPatti

New User
kaylatowne
0 Kudos

I loved the movie but the book dives into such detail that the movie can not even compare to it. I think it is a romance in the sense that Clare is so in love with him that she waits twenty or so years for him to begin with and has the patience and selfless love to deal with his constant disappearances and knowledge of how the future and the past that she will never know. It is not the usual stereotypical storybook romance where they live happily ever after but that is what makes it such an amazing story I think. That is just my view though, it is interesting to see everyone elses.

New User
KatRM67
0 Kudos

I just finished reading this book and found it difficult.  I do understand the premise of love traveling over time and the romance of this, however Clare waiting into her 80's just seemed so...hollow to me.  It truly made me ache for her.  I think this is the gift of wonderful writing but it did impact me.  It is tragic, sad and moving.   

Kat