Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Unusual Heroes?

I'm reading Elizabeth Hoyt's Wicked Intentions, and the hero, as often is the case in her books, is a little strange. He's got some traits that aren't exactly heroic. The most prominent thing is that the book begins because Lazarus Huntington is searching for the murderer of his mistress. Not exactly admirable at the time, right?

The other thing that's not precisely dreamy in the classic romantic sense is that his hair is long and gray.

Now, I am loving this book. I tend to love her books, even the ones with disfigured heroes. But is there ever a point in a romance novel for you guys where you just can't look past the realistic traits in your heroes and heroines? What are the dealbreakers for you in terms of when a character isn't such an ideal? And what are your most memorable "unusual" characters?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Unusual Heroes?

I don't think I have a limit. I tend to search these out more than any other type.

Mmm LKH's Lord Slotho is kind at the top of the oh so not normal pile.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

I don't think I have a limit. I tend to search these out more than any other type.

is that the book title, Tigger? I couldn't find it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Apologies, tisk I even spelled it wrong.

A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry Series #1)  You get your first look at Lord Sholto here.

Fair warning none of the paramours in this series are human, but Sholto wins the prize for most extreme.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Apologies, tisk I even spelled it wrong.

A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry Series #1)  You get your first look at Lord Sholto here.

Fair warning none of the paramours in this series are human, but Sholto wins the prize for most extreme.

Thanks, Tigger - I've only read one or two of her books and they weren't in this series. I'll have to check this out.

Inspired Contributor
Amiee_Novelnose
0 Kudos

I don't think I have one either. Viking novels have some awful heroes and yet I still enjoy them. Such as Catherine Coulter novels. There were one or two that made me extremely unhappy. An abuse the book mood. That would be Island Flame. There is another one that I can't remember the title or author. The hero rapes the leading lady and leaves her with the village idiot where she then miscarries. He also pretends to be a highwayman and rapes her. It was crazy and I was ready to commit violence myself.

Island Flame

Inspired Contributor
Amiee_Novelnose
0 Kudos

oh and then there was A hunger like No Other-Kresley Cole. I wanted to hate Lachlain but I couldn't. I loved the book even though he was awful to Emmaline. I guess he would be my favorite unusual one.

A Hunger like No Other (Immortals after Dark Series #1)