Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Victoria Laurie

Has any one read any of Victoria Laurie's books and what do you think about them.  Are they mostly light reads or do they have a lot of depth to them.  A friend gave me three of her books:

Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Series #1)  

What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery Series #1)  

Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun (Ghost Hunter Mystery Series #3)  
Do  they need to be read in order or can they be read kind of stand-alone books.

Thanks for your help.  Also the Add Product button is working again.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: Victoria Laurie

I read the first one awhile ago. They're lighthearted, if I'm remembering correctly.

Correspondent
BookLoverDT
0 Kudos

I know this is 4 years too late but I thought I would reply in the event someone else comes across this post. I have read all of Victoria Laurie's books and they are great. My favorites are the Ghouls series with MJ Holliday and her ghost buster business. I recently picked up the Psychic Eye series and they leave me wanting more. Abby Cooper is funny, stubborn and great psychic. This is a good mystery book with a little romance thrown in. I highly recommend becoming a fan of Victoria Laurie.

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."-Marie Curie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reader
Cybearmac
0 Kudos

As with the last poster, I am responding a few years after the original posting... I love Victoria Laurie's books. I have yet to start the Oracle of Delphi Keep series, but the other two, Psychic Eye and Ghosthunter, have entertained me for the past few years. Though they are quick reads (4-5 hours for me), they are well written stories with characters that engage you.

The original question was whether these books have to be read in order. I would say, as with all series, readers don't HAVE to read them in order, but it's better if you do. That being said, Ms. Laurie takes time to fill in the back story so even if you miss a book or two, you aren't lost. However, that means there are "spoilers" if read the books out of order. No matter, because the mystery part of the book is inclusive. It's only the continuing saga of the characters' personal lives that span book to book.

I'd say start with what you have and get the others as you can. I was lucky enough to read them in order and have caught up to the most current editions in each series. Now they're all in order.

Like the previous poster, BookLoverDT, though I enjoy both series, I prefer the Ghosthunter series. MJ and Gilly are great character and the stories are not just mysteries, but adventures. But really, you can't go wrong with either. Enjoy!