Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: What BOOK are you reading now?

My granddaughter read all 3 in a week and half. She couldn't put them down. Jo
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Christina2377 wrote:
I just started reading Laird of the Mist by Paula Quinn. In the wings I have Mr. Knightley's Diary by Amanda Grange and another one by Lisa Kleypas that I can't remember the title of. I'm new to Paula Quinn... so far so good.

I loved Laird of the Mist, give me a Highlander anytime
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Speaking of Scots, does anyone watch Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show? Last night Denis Leary was on it and I seriously thought I was going to do myself injury I was laughing so hard.

You have Ferguson, the Scot, and Leary, the Irish-American both going off in their usual way. Ferguson: "I always thought the Irish were just Scots who couldn't swim." Leary had a great line about millions of Irish people dying in the great potato famine (not the first topic you'd think of for a joke) when they were surrounded by fish! I am sick, sick, sick but that was one of the funniest shows I've seen in ages.

Ferguson is not like any Highlander I've ever come across in books, but I may have to add him (along with Denis Leary, who's already there) to my hot actor list.
Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
0 Kudos

>>I loved Laird of the Mist, give me a Highlander anytime

I'm not sure how I feel about the book yet. I have mixed feelings especially about the way the author spells out the Scottish brogue. I don't dislike it, but I've found it distracting and its slowed me down.

Truth be told, I've only been re-reading Garwood and reading new Kleypas books for the past year so any new author will take getting used to.

So far, the main female characte, Kate, is quite a warrior herself! This is a new twist for a female lead that I haven't come accross in years. The only one that comes to mind is Zared, from Jude Deveraux's books.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Christina2377 wrote:
>>I loved Laird of the Mist, give me a Highlander anytime

I'm not sure how I feel about the book yet. I have mixed feelings especially about the way the author spells out the Scottish brogue. I don't dislike it, but I've found it distracting and its slowed me down.

Truth be told, I've only been re-reading Garwood and reading new Kleypas books for the past year so any new author will take getting used to.

So far, the main female characte, Kate, is quite a warrior herself! This is a new twist for a female lead that I haven't come accross in years. The only one that comes to mind is Zared, from Jude Deveraux's books.

Well if you feel that the brogue slows you down Paula Quinn uses it in all her Highlander books fyi.
Deb
Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
0 Kudos

>>Well if you feel that the brogue slows you down Paula Quinn uses it in all her Highlander books

Thanks for the heads-up, Deb. If I love Laird of the Mist, I'll overlook it, I promise. :smileywink: Right now I'm on chapter 4 and I'm liking it.
Frequent Contributor
shannon_burke
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

shannon_burke wrote:
I'm reading Twilight now by Stephanie Meyer. It's amazing so far. It's been in my TBR pile for awhile and i wish id gotten to it sooner. I can't wait to finish it and get to the second one.

I just read that a couple of weeks ago, finally. I've got the other two on my shelf, waiting patiently for me to get to them.

My friend let me use her copy and she's reading the second one. I'm trying to slow down on this one though because she's barely half way through with the second one and i wanted to start it right away. But i dont think it's going to work. It's a REALLY good book:smileyhappy:
Shannon~
Frequent Contributor
stardrifting
0 Kudos

I'm reading Jude Deveraux's Someone To Love, but I'll finish it tonight.

Has anyone read Wizard's Daughter by Catherine Coulter? Did you like it? It's the next book I'll start on.

Stacy
Frequent Contributor
DianneRoq
0 Kudos

I'm trying to read Time off for Good Behavior, but I am having such a hard time getting into it. I have picked it up half a dozen times already and still can get past the first few pages. Has anyone read it, is it any good, if yes, when does it get interesting.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DianneRoq wrote:
I'm trying to read Time off for Good Behavior, but I am having such a hard time getting into it. I have picked it up half a dozen times already and still can get past the first few pages. Has anyone read it, is it any good, if yes, when does it get interesting.

If you don't get into that one, give The Fortune Quilt a shot. I really liked that one.I may be wrong but I think Time Off was her first book.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

DianneRoq wrote:

If you don't get into that one, give The Fortune Quilt a shot. I really liked that one.I may be wrong but I think Time Off was her first book.

Time Off was her first book. I loved it, I thought the character's voice was excellent. Haven't read The Fortune Quilt yet, but I know you're a big fan, right, Becke?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's funny, Crazy in Love seems to be really popular but I liked The Fortune Quilt a lot better. Lani also read excerpts from her new book, which comes out in a few days, and it sounds really good. If you like Jennifer Crusie style snappy dialogue, Lani is really good at that. Maybe we can get her to stop by the boards sometime. She is a very funny lady.
Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
0 Kudos

I finished Laird of the Mist by Paula Quinn yesterday. I mentioned before that I'm not used to the "spelling out" of the Scottish brogue. I didn't really appreciate it at first, though I grew used to it by the middle of the novel. I prefer to not have that attribute, I think, as I don't really need it since I can imagine the brogue in my head without the help of the author.

Here's what I liked about the book (no spoilers):

All of the characters were good. The main characters, Collum and Kate, were equally entertaining and had a lot of depth. The author did a fine job developing the characters by adding very meaningful insight into their childhood and upbringing which was essential to the development of the plot. The supporting characters were all worthwhile on their own. I was happy to learn that two of the characters will reappear in a different novel. There wasn't suspense, per say, but a lot of danger elements that were intense. It was sort of like Braveheart in a way, one of my favorite movies, but without the grotesque ending, of course. :smileyhappy: Quinn's descriptions of the Highlands and the MacGregor clan were superb and almost poetic. I felt like I was there with the characters, they were so acute. The romance between the main characters was tender and heartwarming, and typically frustrating with the perpetual ups-and-downs (in a good way) between them. By the later part of the book, I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know what would happen between them. I was very satisfied with the ending.

Here's what I didn't like:

I have to say that I don't like having the brogue written out for me. It was distracting at first and while I got used to it, I prefer to have it left out. I don't hold that against the author, as I'm sure it is very helpful to some readers to imagine the characters better. The female lead was won over just a tad too easily for me, and without enough persuasion (or any) for my taste. While I liked the fact that she was an expert swordswoman and warrior, which is a first for me as a reader, I found it a tad hard to swallow that she melted into love in the manner that she did. It wasn't totally ridiculous or anything, but I would've expected a different development for a she-warrior to fall in love with her clan's greatest enemy that supposedly killed her grandfather and father!

In summary, I enjoyed the book and will be reading more from this author very soon.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Thanks for the fine review!
Frequent Contributor
shannon_burke
0 Kudos

DianneRoq wrote:
I finished reading Charlie All Night. It was a real cute book. I enjoyed it, it was fast to read, although i would pick the book up in segments.

Message Edited by DianneRoq on 11-08-2007 02:43 PM

I agree with what you said about it not really getting ahold of you for awhile. In the end it was pretty enjoyable for me as well but it's not my favorite by her.
Shannon~
Frequent Contributor
shannon_burke
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
I just finished the Circle Trilogy and loved them. I had read the first of the Three Sisters Island books and really could not get into but with the Circle books I could not put them down. I hope I can find more like them.

Toni

If you give it some time, the Sisters trilogy gets very good. I loved it after it was all over. The third one was definitely my fav.
Shannon~
Frequent Contributor
shannon_burke
0 Kudos

I'm reading the second of the Twilight series. I haven't really had a chance to get into it yet but i plan on doing so tonight. I've been so pumped to read it because i loved the first one so much. I hope im not dissapointed:smileyhappy:
Shannon~
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

shannon_burke wrote:
I'm reading the second of the Twilight series. I haven't really had a chance to get into it yet but i plan on doing so tonight. I've been so pumped to read it because i loved the first one so much. I hope im not dissapointed:smileyhappy:

Will you read the third one as soon as you're done with number two?
Frequent Contributor
shannon_burke
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

shannon_burke wrote:

Will you read the third one as soon as you're done with number two?

possibly. im not sure though. it depends on how soon i get my hands on it. hopefully sooner rather than later:smileyhappy:
Shannon~
Frequent Contributor
DianneRoq
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Alright i couldnt get into it at all" Time off for Good Behavior'" so i skipped it it, i'll try to pick it up later, Im reading LoRi FosTer's Truth or Dare, Cute I jsut cant get over them all getting married so far two down, I have a feeling Erica will be engaged to real soon, what is up with that. So unrealistic.

Message Edited by DianneRoq on 02-07-2008 12:28 PM