Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What BOOK are you reading now?

[ Edited ]
Don't give up on Lani yet. Her new book, A Little Ray of Sunshine, just came out. I liked that one almost as much as The Fortune Quilt. Actually, I think I'd have to call it a tie.

I know how you feel -- I read one of Rachel Gibson's books and was pretty underwhelmed. But I saw a lot of her books at my local used book store, so I picked up a couple. (What can I say? It's an addiction.) This time, right off the bat, I found one I liked a lot, and I liked the next one, too. So now I'm careful not to base all my decisions about an author on one book -- unless I really couldn't stand it.

Message Edited by becke_davis on 02-07-2008 03:08 PM
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well I just finished two romance novels
1) A Warrior's Taking by Margo Maguire - It was great, a little paranormal activity and a great romance. Good characters I would recommend it to everyone. It was my first read by this author and I will definitely read her again.

2) Mango Summer by Phoebe Conn - I just happened to see it on the new release shelf of my library and picked it up. Let me tell you I had to read it while sitting under a fan if you get my drift. So if your sitting there in a cold house watching the snow and sleet and whatever else mother nature in dealing you this winter, pick it up believe me it'll keep you warm. I'm sweating just thinking about it.
Debbie
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
Well I just finished two romance novels
1) A Warrior's Taking by Margo Maguire - It was great, a little paranormal activity and a great romance. Good characters I would recommend it to everyone. It was my first read by this author and I will definitely read her again.

2) Mango Summer by Phoebe Conn - I just happened to see it on the new release shelf of my library and picked it up. Let me tell you I had to read it while sitting under a fan if you get my drift. So if your sitting there in a cold house watching the snow and sleet and whatever else mother nature in dealing you this winter, pick it up believe me it'll keep you warm. I'm sweating just thinking about it.
Debbie

This review of Mango Summer is fantastic. I get your drift!

I am finally finishing Atonement today, and then I'm going to sink my teeth into Whitney, My Love. A month late, but I have all year to tackle my new year's resolution, right?
Author
Anna_Adams
0 Kudos

I read these messages with a notepad beside me. I'm especially interested in the Stephanie Meyer series. Everyone who's mentioned them raves about them.

I'm reading Allison Brennan's Speak No Evil. I'm enjoying it so far, even though it's spooked me a little. ;-)

Anna

Learn more about Her Reason to Stay.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Anna_Adams wrote:
I read these messages with a notepad beside me. I'm especially interested in the Stephanie Meyer series. Everyone who's mentioned them raves about them.

I'm reading Allison Brennan's Speak No Evil. I'm enjoying it so far, even though it's spooked me a little. ;-)

Anna

Ooh! Anna, come back and post about Speak No Evil when you're done. We never talk about Allison Brennan in this thread and we totally should!

And welcome to the board!
Frequent Contributor
shannon_burke
0 Kudos

Well, i finished New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. I loved it. It was a sad story that had it's happy points. But there wasn't exactly a happy ending. I'm glad it was out of the ordinary. I should be starting the third one soon but im going to start Dead Sexy by Amanda Ashley today. Hopefully it's as good as i hope.
Shannon~
Frequent Contributor
stardrifting
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Catherine Coulter's Wizard's Daughter. I didn't like this book at all. Has anyone else read it?

It took me a long time to get through it.

Stacy

Message Edited by stardrifting on 02-11-2008 01:38 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just finished Sizzle and Burn by Jayne Ann Krentz. I liked the hero and heroine and the book was pretty good but it was just missing something. I really liked the one that came out before this (in the Arcane Society series. I like this author a lot but more as a cosy, comfort read. I don't know why she never makes it to the top of my favorites list.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

I just finished Lean, Mean Thirteen and now I'm on to Plum Lucky! Jo
Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
0 Kudos

I finished reading Mr. Knightley's Diary by Amanda Grange.  I was excited to read this book because I had read Mr. Darcy's Diary and really enjoyed it.

Overall, this book was so-so for me.  I tend to not like the story of Emma as much as P & P, and of course, Mr. Darcy is far more interesting and alluring than Mr. Knightley, in my opinion.  However, I do enjoy the characters and the humor in Emma so I happily read the book to the end.

What I liked:  There was no lacking for humor, that's for sure.  I always had a soft spot in my heart for Miss Bates, and I was pleased to see her quite a lot in this book and loved how the author worked her into the story.  It was very interesting to see through Mr. Knightley's eyes the antics of Emma and those around her.  His opinions of Mrs. Elton are a crack-up!  I really enjoyed the last 20 pages or so, there was insight there that was very special, indeed.

What I didn't like:  The transition of Mr. Knightley not being in love to being in love wasn't detailed enough for me.  I thought I skipped a page.  Yes, he does fall in love by surprise and gradually, but there wasn't enough to bring the reader into the light, I felt.  Unlike Mr. Darcy's Diary, this book had quite a few slow spots.  There were a lot of scenes with Emma's father which were drawn out and repetitive.

For Jane Austen fans, are there any other authors or novels you'd recommend from this genre?

Now I am reading Because You're Mine by Lisa Kleypas.
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

The Dragon Queen

The 3rd in the Shana Abe' dragon series. I haven't read the second yet, but I stayed up 2 nights really late finishing the first one (Smoke Thief) and couldn't wait for the second one to come (I had the 3rd). I am loving these romances- even though I admit the men were too much for me at first. I am not pick on the over alpha men usually.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Jo6353 wrote:

I love Stephanie Plum, although her in between the numbers lets me wanting for more. deb
Author
Anna_Adams
0 Kudos

Melanie, a belated thanks for the welcome! ;-) I'm moving slowly with the Allison Brennan because I'm under deadline myself, but each time I manage to read a few pages, I find it harder to put down! Anna

Learn more about Her Reason to Stay.
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I just finished "The Queens Lady" by Shannon Drake and I really enjoyed it.  It is Historical Fiction with a love story.

Right now I am reading a Paranormal Romance, the second in a series - Rises the Night, it also has quite a bit of romance in it.  Regency England and Vampire lore

Message Edited by PhyllisJ on 02-14-2008 01:25 PM
Phyllis
New User
mlodato704
0 Kudos

Hi - just discovered barnes and noble posting boards on books so I'm way behind but.... I read your post on a new author you tried and loved - Melissa Nathan. I always like to check out a new author so I went to Wikipedia to see what other novels she wrote. I was very sad to see that she passed away in 2006

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I know, I love Melissa Nathan's books and I was so shocked to read her comments in the front of Learning Curve, noting that the book would most likely be published posthumously.  She had breast cancer and if I remember correctly she was only 37 when she died, leaving a husband and a three-year-old son.

I thought I had read all of her books but I remember noticing that there was still one more coming out this spring, and there might be one more after that.

You will find her books in Literature, not Romance, and most bookstores and they can be hard to find. I really recommend her books, though, especially if you are an Anglophile. My husband is English and we lived in London for seven years (quite awhile ago) and her books made me really homesick.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Jo6353 wrote:

I love Stephanie Plum, although her in between the numbers lets me wanting for more. deb

I know what you mean. But, alas, I buy and read then anyway! Jo
Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
0 Kudos

I'm about halfway through Because You're Mine by Lisa Kleypas-- its so good!  I read the prior novel to this one (Somewhere I'll Find You, I think was the title) and this one is way better.  I find that with Lisa Kleypas I know if I will like it within the first two or three chapters.  I just finished another book by Julia Quinn and didn't really start to enjoy it until about 8 or so chapters in.  Good thing I have the virtue of patience when I read.
Frequent Contributor
stardrifting
0 Kudos

I just finished The Vampire Queen's Servant by Joey W. Hill.  Very interesting!  I have never read a book quite like it before and I really enjoyed it.  I am looking forward to the sequel The Mark of the Vampire Queen.

Next up is To Tame A Highlander by Karen Marie Moning.  Anyone else read this, yet?

Stacy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

stardrifting wrote:
I just finished The Vampire Queen's Servant by Joey W. Hill.  Very interesting!  I have never read a book quite like it before and I really enjoyed it.  I am looking forward to the sequel The Mark of the Vampire Queen.

Next up is To Tame A Highlander by Karen Marie Moning.  Anyone else read this, yet?

Stacy

I read the sequel to The Vampire Queen's Servant and it was surprisingly good.  I mean, this series is more erotica than paranormal when it comes right down to it, and that type of book doesn't always feature much plot or emotion.  By the end of the second book, I was totally caught up in the relationship between the two main characters.