Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

What about heroines who need to be saved?? Eloisa's new column is up!

Hi everybody,

Please check out my new romance column -- five fabulous new books, which I adored!

Eloisa's Romance Column

It's all about heroines desperate for a strong hero to come along and club the nearest evil-doer... and why we love that plot so much.  It features Claire Delacroix's fabulous new book, not to mention JR Ward's, Christine Warren's, Jodi Thomas's and Leanna Renee Heiber's exciting debut!

So what do YOU think of this particular plot?  Why are we so addicted to seeing muscled heroes take out the opposition?

Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: What about heroines who need to be saved?? Eloisa's new column is up!

Eloise,

Loved the article and am definitely planning on reading Claire's book as well as Covet.  I think for me I like reading these books is because I enjoy seeing how the Hero and Heroine complement each other.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Great column, Eloisa! Don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that I have nearly all of these books in my TBR pile already.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Becke, what books don't you have in that pile

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Becke, what books don't you have in that pile

Shhh! My husband might hear you, Debbie!
Frequent Contributor
cheri2628
0 Kudos

This was another entertaining article, Eloisa!  While I love to read about strong, feisty heroines who can take care of themselves, it is reeeally nice to fantasize sometimes about a big, strong man saving the day.  ;-)

It's hard to beat a story that features a hero/rescuer like a fireman, policeman, Old West sheriff, or Highlander.  As women, we have to be so strong in our families and at work, so it can be fun to relax and let a hero take charge in our world of romance novels.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

I agree cheri!  I haven't read any great firemen stories lately.  Harlequin used to do those regularly, but lately I'm swamped in cowboys.  Anyone have a great fireman to recommend?

Eloisa

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Under Fire 
EloisaJames wrote:

I agree cheri!  I haven't read any great firemen stories lately.  Harlequin used to do those regularly, but lately I'm swamped in cowboys.  Anyone have a great fireman to recommend?

Eloisa

Jo Davis writes about firefighters, and there's a good Nora Roberts, too:

Blue Smoke

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Really enjoyed the column, Eloisa, and it got me to thinking. In my everyday life, I always tend to take care of myself and am quite indepedent. But when it comes to romance, I really enjoy the books where the hero instantly likes the heroine and is bound and determined to protect/save her. I wonder why I respond so well to the damsels-in-distress heroines when in real life women like that drive me crazy! I guess it's because there's nothing more romantic than a man who will do anything for you...

Great book choices! After your home-run recomendation of Guardian, I'm anxious to read the others.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think I'm a pretty strong, independent woman but I know my husband has a strong urge to protect and save. Do any of you remember that last episode of Bonanza, where Bonnie Bedelia played Little Joe's wife? Ever since we watched that movie, my husband has had a thing for Bonnie Bedelia. I think the urge to fix the problem/save and protect the woman is hard-wired in some guys. Must be frustrating when we don't particularly want to be saved (or have the problems fixed)!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Great article as always professor ;-).

I'm totally with you Becke, I can fry up the bacon and all that jazz too and my husband is of the knuckle dragging variety of caveman and he does tend to grunt a lot if I seem to need protection/help/carried into the cave etc. Now in my romances I like the strong woman heroine, but I don't mind that she's not stupid enough not to ask for help if she needs it. Prime example is the mystery book for Oct. Chosen to Die, here we have very strong women heroines but in this situation they need the guys to step in and step up. So I see nothing wrong with it. Now if the heroine happens to be wimpy, well I wouldn't like her. But look even at Eloisa's heroines, all her desperate duchesses they are all strong women, but very in touch with their femininity. And it never hurt the male ego to let them think we need looking after now did it.

And I'll be out of the office tomorrow, we learn the results of my hubby's CAT scan to see if the C is back, so wish us luck and I'll see you all back here on Thursday.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Debbie, my fingers and toes and heart is crossed for good news from that CAT scan.

One of my early memories is of freezing Minnesota winter, and my father always heading out into sub-zero weather to start the car and have it warm so that we could all jack-rabbit into it.  I remember thinking that I was glad I was a girl...  And then I married a man who does the same thing.  Except we're in Paris this year, so I guess the equivalent would be wading across the street *g*  Eloisa

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Debbie - I know you're not here today, but we're all thinking of you and your husband and hoping for the best possible results.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Good morning everyone and Good News too, The spot hasn't changed in 3 months and the doctor says it not the right shape to be a tumor, he thinks it's scar tissue and so we're just going to wait another 6 months for another CAT scan. But it was very good news and thank all of you for your thoughts.

Eloisa, wow a year in Paris that's very exciting, but I bet you get homesick too. And wading across the avenue is very chivalrous especially if you're being carried in his arms.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Hurrah!  That's such great news.

And isn't it odd how much science hasn't changed all that much from the old days, when doctors could only know things by sight and feeling?  It was so odd for me when a surgeon told us that my mother had ovarian cancer rather than metastasized breast because "it feels different on your fingers."

Weird!!!

Such good news for your husband -- fabulous!

Eloisa

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824

EloisaJames wrote:

Hi everybody,

Please check out my new romance column -- five fabulous new books, which I adored!

Eloisa's Romance Column

It's all about heroines desperate for a strong hero to come along and club the nearest evil-doer... and why we love that plot so much.  It features Claire Delacroix's fabulous new book, not to mention JR Ward's, Christine Warren's, Jodi Thomas's and Leanna Renee Heiber's exciting debut!

So what do YOU think of this particular plot?  Why are we so addicted to seeing muscled heroes take out the opposition?

Eloisa

Funny reading this today Eloisa. I just posted on a romance forum asking for less alpha males, still sexy, but more beta maybe than alpha- and one of the books recommended to me was Kiss me Annabelle- by you. :womanvery-happy:

I love the alpha's at times, but it's fall and I'm feeling snuggly and feel a need to read more nurturing men. OTOH, I still want the muscles and the ability to save their heroines if needed!

Bonnie