New User
speedreaderPH
0 Kudos

What better? The classics or the new ?

With me i'm always confused on what I should get from the book story, the loving classics of Nora Roberts with her timeless stories of love I totally want, or the steamy renditions of Rachel Gibson and her to die for males and quirky humor. Of course I'm not prejudice I read all types, from many different authors, Susan Mallory, Catherine Anderson, Susan Anderson, Jessica Bird, Shelly lurenston and soooo much more, but id like to hear how you decide what to read. Do you pick up a book randomly, go off one author, ask for advice, or go off a list?:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
WriterGurl1
0 Kudos

Re: What better? The classics or the new ?

I'm all over the board too, but presently I'm favoring the more contemporary romances from authors like Jennifer Crusie and Rachel Gibson. I do go back and forth though, depending on my mood:smileyhappy:

There is nothing better than getting lost in a great book!
If you enjoy romance, be sure to check out my novels:

An Unexpected Obsession  

A Dose of Reality

becke_davis
0 Kudos

speedreaderPH wrote:

With me i'm always confused on what I should get from the book story, the loving classics of Nora Roberts with her timeless stories of love I totally want, or the steamy renditions of Rachel Gibson and her to die for males and quirky humor. Of course I'm not prejudice I read all types, from many different authors, Susan Mallory, Catherine Anderson, Susan Anderson, Jessica Bird, Shelly lurenston and soooo much more, but id like to hear how you decide what to read. Do you pick up a book randomly, go off one author, ask for advice, or go off a list?:smileyhappy:

In my case, it's a little of everything. I've been reading romance for years - when I find an author I like, I read everything they've written. In some cases (Nora Roberts, for example), that can be quite a project! 

You don't mention Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jennifer Crusie, Lisa Kleypas, Kristan Higgins, Victoria Dahl, Anne Stuart, Anna Campbell, Heidi Betts, Dierdre Martin, Erin McCarthy, etc. Have you read those authors?

Contributor
doelily18
0 Kudos

I personally read everything i can get my hands on. But like becke_davis said if i really like an author i read everything they have written. My choices in books are generally the steamier the better. Like Cheyenne McCray or Lorelei James and Lora Leigh. Of course Lisa Kleypas, Stephanie Laurens and Susan Mallery are all great as well if your into the more "sugar and spice" rather than "naughty and nice."

dhaupt
0 Kudos

me I'm a romaniac so I'll read just about anything in romance whenever they come out, first come first read

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

me I'm a romaniac so I'll read just about anything in romance whenever they come out, first come first read

Ditto.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Contributor
Romance_Reader24
0 Kudos

I am all about contemporary!

I Love to Read!!!
Frequent Contributor
Amiee_Novelnose
0 Kudos

I follow my mood unless my budget is stressed, then I hit up my local library and pray I haven't sucked it dry.

Inspired Correspondent
reader_824
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I tend to stick to the classic author I've enjoyed...Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Rachel Gibson, Linda Lael Miller, Linda Howard, Susan Andersen and the early Jennifer Crusie until they disappoint me in a couple of their latest. That's the case for me with Jennifer Crusie. She's gone off on a paranormal tangent, and so I'll let her for those readers until she comes back (if she ever does) to her beginnings.

I also love the contemporary of Lisa Kleypas. 

When I do try out a new author, it's from the names readers here have given me, based on our mutual like of the authors I mentioned.  I've gotten some great new authors names that way.  Thank you to those of you who share my reading tastes.