Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

Re: What was the first romance novel you read?

the first book with any romacne was lurlene mcdaniels dont die my love...after i read like devourd her books i  read caroline b cooney's time travel series. its still one of my favs..then i started danielle steel which led to nora roberts...linda lael miller..and then too many to count
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

My first ever romance Fiction was" Whirlwind"  Part of Welcome to Tyler series,Author of this one is Nancy Martin,went on to read "Wisconson Wedding " by Carla Neggars. 12 Authors..Each Book is related to 'Welcome to Tyler"  same characters...When I remember I look for other books in the series..Really good......I just started 3,4 yrs ago...then took off to Nora Roberts..Three Sisters Island Trilogy,Anne River Siddons..is she considered a Romance Writer,and just love Dorathea Benton Frank..Sullivans Island...Can't wait for "Return to Sullivans Island"  Oh and Debbie McComber......going to spend more time here very refreshing  Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
My first ever romance Fiction was" Whirlwind"  Part of Welcome to Tyler series,Author of this one is Nancy Martin,went on to read "Wisconson Wedding " by Carla Neggars. 12 Authors..Each Book is related to 'Welcome to Tyler"  same characters...When I remember I look for other books in the series..Really good......I just started 3,4 yrs ago...then took off to Nora Roberts..Three Sisters Island Trilogy,Anne River Siddons..is she considered a Romance Writer,and just love Dorathea Benton Frank..Sullivans Island...Can't wait for "Return to Sullivans Island"  Oh and Debbie McComber......going to spend more time here very refreshing  Vtc
I LOVED the Welcome to Tyler series -- I only saved one of the books, and it was (you guessed it) by Carla Neggers.

Correspondent
WerewolfGirl101
0 Kudos

first romance book i ever read was twilight. yup. i never would have even thought of picking up a romance novel untill i read twilight
lost banner Pictures, Images and Photos
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:
I LOVED the Welcome to Tyler series -- I only saved one of the books, and it was (you guessed it) by Carla Neggers.

Welcome To Tyler Courthouse Steps  Tyler Brides  I am on a quest for all the "Tyler Books"  ...this summer will be strickly romance for me...will be looking "Just Released" here. A wonderful way for me to discover new Authors Found 2"Tyler Books" placed an order..now for my Quest.. Carla Neggars is a Vermonter..was here At the Northshire Bookstore last year...lots of fun...She has agreat sense of humor. Vtc
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think those books came out when I was subscribing to all the romance book clubs (they were delivered once a month). I remember I loved the whole series, but there were a few standouts. I'll have to see if I kept any of the others, but I don't think I did.
Inspired Contributor
jlrouse
0 Kudos

I had been reading the "Stephanie Plum" series by Janet Evanovich for a while and at the library, beside her books they'd taped a little card that said something like, "if you like Janet Evanovich, try Jennifer Cruise."  So I grabbed "Welcome to Temptation" from the library and I've been a romance reader ever since :smileyhappy:.  The only mystery books I read now are by Janet Evanovich...I still love Stephanie Plum :smileywink:.
New User
JJ_Ying
0 Kudos

I think my first was 'The Pregnancy Test' by Erin McCarthy. Actually my older cousin was reading it but then she stopped in the middle of the book so I asked her if I could borrow it and after that I was hooked in Erin.
Frequent Contributor
njoireading
0 Kudos

Jane Eyre---then Wuthering Heights
New User
thuff
0 Kudos

My first big romance novel was Beatrice Small's Skye O'Malley (I realize this dates me). Mom always had harliquin's and I had a whole collection of Barbara Cartland romances.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

thuff wrote:

My first big romance novel was Beatrice Small's Skye O'Malley (I realize this dates me). Mom always had harliquin's and I had a whole collection of Barbara Cartland romances.

The was probably the first "hot" book I ever read.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

thuff wrote:

The was probably the first "hot" book I ever read.

These were some of the others I recall: Fallen Angel by Diana Summers, Drumbeats of Desire by the same author, Princess Daisy by Judith Krantz and pretty much anything by Bertrice Small. And, of course, everything by Kathleen Woodiwiss.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Princess Daisy,when I saw it posted,I remembered,Did 90% of Barbara Taylor Bradford,then a few months ago I read Dance upon Air..always saying must must get the next 2..Loved it..

New User
LKayyB
0 Kudos

My first romance novel was One Bite with a Stranger by Christine Warren and now I am hooked.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

LKayyB wrote:
My first romance novel was One Bite with a Stranger by Christine Warren and now I am hooked.

I loved that book!

New User
FBswimchick060708
0 Kudos

My first romance novel was Haunted by Heather Graham. All of her novels are great as well as novels by Nora Roberts, Nicholas Sparks, Allie Mackay, Diana Gabaldon, and many more!!
Contributor
greytlady
0 Kudos

I can't exactly remember my first romance book - probably "Jane Eyre" or "Jamaica Inn".  I remember reading "Nine Coaches Waiting" to my mom while she was driving us to school (she was a teacher and we had a long commute).  But the book that triggered my love of romance books was Kathleen Woodiwiss "So Worthy My Love".  

New User
Nease
0 Kudos

The first romance novel I read was by Linda L. Miller. The book was titled Lily and the Major. I feel in love with that book. It took me almost ten years (I was about 14 when I read it), to read the other two books that went with it. The other two books were so hard to find.

After I read her book, I realized that I could write romance too.

LaNease Ross
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Nease wrote:

The first romance novel I read was by Linda L. Miller. The book was titled Lily and the Major. I feel in love with that book. It took me almost ten years (I was about 14 when I read it), to read the other two books that went with it. The other two books were so hard to find.

After I read her book, I realized that I could write romance too.

Lily and the Major  A great old book, and one to try to find if you haven't read it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It would have been a romance wrapped in a mystery. Probably something by Victoria Holt, Dorothy Eden, Mary Stewart, Susan Howatch, Velda Johnston or Evelyn Anthony. I started reading those in my late teens. Discovered Mills & Boon/Harlequin in about 1980. I think this was the first one I read: