Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Who's down for Downton Abbey?

I am woefully, inadequately, shamefully late to the DA party - especially for someone who's crazed about historical fiction like I am!

So, anyone here like this show and planning on tuning in for Season Two - it starts on PBS Sunday, and my DVR is set!

Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey Season 1  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Who's down for Downton Abbey?

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I am woefully, inadequately, shamefully late to the DA party - especially for someone who's crazed about historical fiction like I am!

So, anyone here like this show and planning on tuning in for Season Two - it starts on PBS Sunday, and my DVR is set!

I've heard lots of good things about it, but haven't seen it yet.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I'm with you Melanie - I fear I have to catch up !! I hear really good things about it so I guess I'll rent Season 1.

Anne

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I am halfway through season one - it is historical heaven! It makes even the servants dreamy...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

I LOVE Downton Abbey! I discovered it late too, really late.  In fact, I only watched the first season this past week.  Fortunately, PBS has the season 2 episodes to watch online.  I watched epi one last night and will watch epi 2 tonight and keep going from there.  I find myself crushing on Matthew Crawley.  :smileyhappy:

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

I'm even later - I just started watching Season 1 this weekend - LOVE IT !!!!

Anne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Downton Shabby: Unofficial collection of jewellery unveiled by U.S. TV network

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2090857/Downton-Abbey-memorabilia-offer-U-S-TV-network....

The unofficial collection and how much it will cost to look like the stars of Downton Abbey

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2090857/Downton-Abbey-memorabilia-offer-U-S-TV-network....

The unofficial collection and how much it will cost to look like the stars of Downton Abbey

I WANT ALL OF IT!!!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I WANT ALL OF IT!!!!!

I have a long string of (fake) pearls that I've had for ages - they look just like these. Maybe my old stuff will come back in fashion again! 

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik

I just found this thread and I'm thrilled. As a huge fan of the BBC and PBS period productions, I knew Downpton Abby would be a sure thing! I watched last season and of course I'm watching this season and DVR-ing too so I can watch over and over. If you like this time period you might want to read "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett, great book. Just hoping you are all enjoying, the only thing that could make this show any better would be if Colin Firth were in it!
Contributor
HollyBushBooks
0 Kudos

Downton Abbey

Hello! I thought this group may enjoy this picture my daughter sent me. I'm new to DA too but I'm completely addicted. Isn't wonderful to have a show with real actors and dialogue? What a change from normal TV!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Holly

Holly Bush
www.hollybushbooks.com
@hollybushbooks
Contributor
PoeticAnaphora
0 Kudos

I've heard good things about it and I adore period novels/shows. I'm currently on Season 3 of 'The Tudors'. I will have to check out this show too!
Twitter: PoeticAnaphora
Blog: Livejournal
Contributor
HollyBushBooks
0 Kudos

If you like the Tudors, you'll most likely love Downton Abbey!

Holly Bush
www.hollybushbooks.com
@hollybushbooks
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I have never seen the Tudors but heard a lot about it. Did you guys like it? And do you read a books based on that time?

Contributor
PoeticAnaphora
0 Kudos

I love the series for it's drama, romance, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and Henry Cavill. :smileywink: I've read a few historical books, including The Other Boleyn Girl (Tudor era) and the Cousin's War Series (The White Queen, The Red Queen, and The Lady of the Rivers - pre-Tudor era), all by Philippa Gregory. Each book is very intriguing in it's historical nature. Makes you almost want to live back in that time era, without being beheaded for treason. Ha!

Twitter: PoeticAnaphora
Blog: Livejournal
Contributor
HollyBushBooks
0 Kudos

The Red Queen (Cousins' War Series #2) 

I haven't read all the Phillipa Gregory books but the ones I have read are fascinating. We Americans tend to think our politics are over the top with drama but we don't have anything over the middle ages. The last one I read was The Red Queen.

Holly Bush
www.hollybushbooks.com
@hollybushbooks