Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Will you read books in a series out of order?

I've posted this week about Barbara Freethy's At Hidden Falls. It's the fourth book in a series, and I almost didn't read it because I haven't read the previous titles. After I read it I was so glad I did, and I realize that I've probably missed out on a lot of good books because of my reluctance to read books if I know there are connected books out there I haven't read yet.

Do you guys do the same thing? Will you read a series of books out of order? Or are you strict about reading from the first book on?

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

Re: Will you read books in a series out of order?

Sometimes I have read series out of order by mistake but I normally try to read them in order because I'm just OCD like that.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Lexa555 wrote:

Sometimes I have read series out of order by mistake but I normally try to read them in order because I'm just OCD like that.

I'm with you Lexa, but sometimes, like Melanie, I done it almost by accident and than gone back and read the previous books ! I was introduced to Susan Wiggs and her Lakeshore Chronicles that way, and I'm glad that my OCD didn't get in the way !!!!!    Happy Reading...

Anne

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I'm the same way - OCD - but I'm worried that I'm missing out on great books because of this!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh yeah, I read series books out of order all the time. It usually doesn't bother me, but sometimes - if there are complex mysteries, like with Karen Rose's books - I do like to keep them in order. With hers, I like to read them altogether, too, but that only works if the books come out one right after the other.

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

This happens to me all the time. I don't do it on purpose though, most of the time I don't realize that the book is part of a series. Or I realize it but the book sounds too good so I go ahead and read it anyway. One of my most recent ones was with Acheron By Sherrilyn Kenyon in her Dark-Hunter series. At the time I had only read up to maybe the fifth or sixth book, but it was still sooo good. So reading out of order really doesn't bother me, I just go back and read the previous ones that I missed.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I read books out of order all the time too, not because I want to but because either I've been given one to review that I hadn't read the series yet or because it's by accident that I get one that I think is a stand a lone and it's not or if my friends here tell me it's okay to read them out of order.

Contributor
Fawn48340
0 Kudos

i've read books out of order alot due to coworkers throwing me anybook they found they didnt want anymore. most of which can be read out of order, but i like the full story that im reading into and if im interested i'll go get the first of the books iv missed and then include and re read the one i was given, then continue from there if more exist. for instance i was given sookie stackhouse #4, read it was hooked. went to library borrowed #123, then bought 5678910. what can i say i got sucked in and it wasnt the first time. midnight breed series was the same. great books.

Frequent Contributor
pjpuppymom
0 Kudos

I've read books in a series out of order but not on purpsose.  Usually, it's because I buy a book that looks interesting without knowing that it's part of a series.  Then I almost always go back and buy the rest of the series!

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

if i know that the book is part of a series and it isnt the first one, i will wait and order the ones that come first.

unless the first book doesnt sound good then ill just read that book as a stand alone.

...but i like to read my books in order

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

I'm glad to see some of you ladies have OCD just like me about reading the series in order. Seems lately that I keep winning books that are the second or third book in a series but since I don't know much about the authors and they seem like they could stand alone I might just read those ones out of order.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Reader
boxmel
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I guess, I'm really anal.  I have read books out of order only because I didn't realize they were part of a series.  Then, of course, I have to order all the others.  If I find a book I've purchased is one in a series and I haven't read the others, I'll get the other books before I'll read the one I currently have.  I like the tie-ins - I find following characters very interesting and truly like the continuity.  I do have to admit I read the Virgin River series totally out of order and now have to start at the beginning and play catch up.  

Frequent Contributor
tjatkins
0 Kudos

Depends.  I will usually research online to see if they are meant to be read in order.  If not, then I don't see why not.  If each is its own separate entity.

New User
VannieRyanes
0 Kudos

If I read a book that is already into a series, I will start from the first so I can play catch up. I love getting to know the characters, it's like visiting friends.:smileyhappy: 

If I can't find them in sequence I will read them, but that is not my first choice.

Inspired Correspondent
reader_824
0 Kudos

As with the rest of you, I'd prefer to read in order, but what the hey...stuff happens, and I happen onto a good one...I did this with the Kell Sabin series in  Diamond Bay by Linda Howard...and then found there was one before it...so I found 2 good books on pure chance. 

I've now been told how to request ebooks from the publishers of those which haven't been digitized yet...don't know how much good it'll be ...but it feels good to do that. (Go to the print copy and there's a link to push to request an ebook copy be made available.)

I love having these old titles I enjoy so much on my ereader so they're with me when I want to "revisit old friends" as it were.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

If a series is done or well into it by the time I start I try and read them in order. But I often use the library or buy used, so can't. That's probably why I avoid most series books that won't stand alone. I am fine if they are the same world, same family etc. but want a novel to be a novel, not a long chapter in a novel.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:  

Will you read books in a series out of order? 

I've posted this week about Barbara Freethy's At Hidden Falls. It's the fourth book in a series, and I almost didn't read it because I haven't read the previous titles. After I read it I was so glad I did, and I realize that I've probably missed out on a lot of good books because of my reluctance to read books if I know there are connected books out there I haven't read yet.

Do you guys do the same thing? Will you read a series of books out of order? Or are you strict about reading from the first book on?

I have done it a few times..but only by accident. I am a series addict and tend to be very careful that I check to see if it's part of a series. Having said that, I just picked up At Hidden Falls this weekend. I have read all the previous novels in this series. They are for the most part stand alone books, but they do interact. I would go back to the beginning and read them. They are In Shelter Cove, On Shadow Beach and Suddenly One Summer. Each one is a delight!  Happy Reading :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
1lovealways
0 Kudos

Hi All!

I really don't like to read them out of order, but I have.  There have been some books where I didn't know there were other books or that there was a series.  Then there have been particular books in a series that I just couldn't wait to read and I was intrigued by them.  When I read them out of order and I get to their place in the order, I usually re-read them.  :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
Smurf97
0 Kudos

No simple answer to this questions; It depends on the author & the series. There are some series that I have read out order and there was no problem following the characters. Others build upon each other and in order to follow the characters you need to read them in order.
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile
Contributor
BROOMRIDER
0 Kudos

Just finished one that was a series, I read the last book first not meaning to. But after reading the other three, I think I'll try not to do it again. :smileysad: