Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Your Favorite Cowboy

My new column is up, talking all about laconic, quiet, sexy cowboys.  I only included one western -- but I found cowboys everywhere from LA to Victorian England.  Please check it out:

Eloisa's column

So who's YOUR favorite cowboy?  I have to say, I really love westerns-- I'm so sad there are so few published these days.  Anyone have any good ones to recommend?

Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

Author
KakiLynn
0 Kudos

Re: Your Favorite Cowboy

Great column, Eloisa.  And thanks for the kind words about Pieces of Sky.  As for strong cowboy-types, both Jodi Thomas and Linda Lael Miller do them especially well.  Part of it is the setting.  A strong setting is like another character, and often in the Old West the harshness of the country either made the man or broke him.  And you're right that because there was so little law back then, men--and woman--had to create their own codes.  It says a lot about the human need to have rules and order, doesn't it?

New User
petticoatgrandma

I haven't read PIECES OF SKY yet, but I intend to, thanks to Eloise. Since I love Eloise's work, I'm sure I'll like what she recommends.  Some of the best westerns I've read, though, are those written by Penelope Williamson and Maggie Osborne.  You can't beat Penelope and Maggie's gritty characters and unusual stories.  I only wish they were still writing.  I could (and have) read them over and over again.

New User
BookFan10

I love western historicals and yes, they can be hard to find. That's why, we started a website called www.lovewesternromances.com to help us readers find western romances. We review them too (and often post the review on B&N) and right now readers are selecting the Best Western Romance of 2009 on the site--nominees include Linda Lael Miller's the Bridegroom, Jodi Thomas' the Lone Texan, Leigh Greenwood's Someone Like You and Jo Goodman's Never Love a Lawman among the sixteen candidates so there are great westerns being written, Eloisa, but they may not be so easy to find.  Totally agree about the uniqueness of the Old West and the lack of law that made it necessary for a man to develop his own code--about life and about love. But also, the West was a place that a woman was called on to be tough, resourceful and fearless. She had to survive in a male-dominant and often violent world and, like her husband, needed to protect her children. There were a lot more women who ran businesses, ranches and even went up the Chisholm trail with their husbands. Some even became outlaws. It was individualism at its peak and, therefore, that provides lots of conflict in the romantic department. Thanks for talking about cowboys (and derivatives of cowboys) to begin the New Year! I'm going to alert our members to this blog. :smileyhappy:

New User
Peanutgallery_50

I can't wait for more cowboy and western novels. The thrill of romance beneath the open sky. The code of west where a woman was appreciated. The cowboy working in tantem with his horse barely speaking but the cues of his body allowing the animal to respond.  When someone writes a western novel, I want to be able to taste the grit, feel the rush of the wind on my skin, and ache for the hero and heroine to get together. Katherine Albrights stories do that for me as well as Diane Whiteside.  When I grow up I want to be able to paint the world of the story just the way they do.  Bring on the Western, I'm booted and spurred, ready to ride!

Nan

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

petticoatgrandma wrote:

I haven't read PIECES OF SKY yet, but I intend to, thanks to Eloise. Since I love Eloise's work, I'm sure I'll like what she recommends.  Some of the best westerns I've read, though, are those written by Penelope Williamson and Maggie Osborne.  You can't beat Penelope and Maggie's gritty characters and unusual stories.  I only wish they were still writing.  I could (and have) read them over and over again.

Welcome to the BN.com Romance forum, Petticoatgrandma. (I love your username!) Penelope Williamson is just wonderful - so glad you mentioned her books.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

BookFan10 wrote:

I love western historicals and yes, they can be hard to find. That's why, we started a website called www.lovewesternromances.com to help us readers find western romances. We review them too (and often post the review on B&N) and right now readers are selecting the Best Western Romance of 2009 on the site--nominees include Linda Lael Miller's the Bridegroom, Jodi Thomas' the Lone Texan, Leigh Greenwood's Someone Like You and Jo Goodman's Never Love a Lawman among the sixteen candidates so there are great westerns being written, Eloisa, but they may not be so easy to find.  Totally agree about the uniqueness of the Old West and the lack of law that made it necessary for a man to develop his own code--about life and about love. But also, the West was a place that a woman was called on to be tough, resourceful and fearless. She had to survive in a male-dominant and often violent world and, like her husband, needed to protect her children. There were a lot more women who ran businesses, ranches and even went up the Chisholm trail with their husbands. Some even became outlaws. It was individualism at its peak and, therefore, that provides lots of conflict in the romantic department. Thanks for talking about cowboys (and derivatives of cowboys) to begin the New Year! I'm going to alert our members to this blog. :smileyhappy:

So great to have you here, BookFan10, and what a great site! There are lots of western-lovers here, so I'm sure that your site will interest them. Love this post about the characters of the Old West.

Frequent Contributor
cheri2628

I love a good cowboy story!  I read a lot of them, both contemporary and historical.  Some of my favorite western authors can be found on petticoatsandpistols.com. 

Some great cowboy heroes in westerns I have read are the McKettrick brothers in the contemporary and historical series by Linda Lael Miller.  Other personal favorites are Teagan in Jodi Thomas' TALL, DARK,AND TEXAN, Scully in Linda Lael Miller's SPRINGWATER, and Joe in Leigh Greenwood's FATHER CHRISTMAS (in the anthology A HISTORICAL CHRISTMAS PRESENT).

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

It's nice to see new people here! And Petticoat, I have to agree with you about Maggie Osborne -- I absolutely love her books.  I was heartbroken a few months ago when I wanted to put one of her books in the column and found out it was out of print.  An outrage!

If anyone out there loves westerns and hasn't read Maggie Osborne, do try and find her books.  You'll love them!

cheers, Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

New User
cheyanneJB
0 Kudos

My favorite cowboy, after Gus in Lonesome Dove, is Brady Wilkins. I just read Pieces of Sky and it is a

must read. If you appreciate a cowboy with all the right stuff Brady is the one. This book is non stop

excitement for the reader from the get go. Couldn't put it down. Then I gave it to my husband and he     

had the same reaction. It is a captivating novel that has you on the edge of your seat from the first

page.       

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Has anybody read

Early Dawn by Catherine Anderson? I'm such a fan of hers, and see that this cowboy historical is out this month.

Here's a link to her website, where you can see a trailer for the book...http://www.catherineanderson.com/

New User
RowdyJewelCT
0 Kudos

I just read your column Eloisa and really enjoyed it.

Now I am looking forward to checking out BookFan10's western romance website.

Peanutgallery Nan- you nailed it!

____________________________________________________________________________________

I can't wait for more cowboy and western novels. The thrill of romance beneath the open sky. The code of west where a woman was appreciated. The cowboy working in tandem with his horse barely speaking but the cues of his body allowing the animal to respond.  When someone writes a western novel, I want to be able to taste the grit, feel the rush of the wind on my skin, and ache for the hero and heroine to get together.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I couldn't agree more!

Can I suggest you read Kaki Warner's novel 'Pieces of Sky' because Brady Wilkins is definitely that kind of cowboy! And Kaki does a great job with her setting, you will taste the grit of the sand, feel the scorch of the sun, smell the scent of roses as well as the stench of smoldering smoke, and ache for Brady and Jessica to get together...!

As a matter of fact, from now on, I think I am going to have a hard time not measuring all men by Brady Wilkins.

Pieces of Sky is truly a GREAT read, you will enjoy the ride!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Maybe the hero of Nora Roberts' Montana Sky. But I also like some of Linda Howard's cowboys, and the cowboy in Kathleen Kane's Catch a Fallen Angel. And a bunch of Janet Dailey's old cowboy books.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray, I too love Linda Lael Miller. I loved the Creeds and I want to read about the McKettricks. But I have read Leigh Greenwood for years. I read some of the Seven Bride series and have the most of the Cowboys to read. Much to my surprise I found out that Leigh is a guy. I was very surprised when I found that out. He is really good at write a romance novel.

Rose (Seven Brides #1) 

This is a great series of seven brothers who find their true loves.

For a man to write romance is unusal, but Leigh delivers.

I don't know is anyone has read him but I do recommend him.

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

so i love westerns

some of my fave autors are: linda lael miller, jodi thomas, stacey kane, pam crooks, diana palmer, linda howard( angel creek, lady of the west, touch of fire).

you cant go wrong with linda lael miller....i love the mckettricks, tho :smileywink: but everytihng is super

jodi thomas is also great, my fav books by her has to be texas rain tho, but again she never dissapoints

i like stacey kaynes mustang wild and look forward to eventually getting around to the others in the series

pam crooks wanted and untamed cowboy were great

ive read several diana palmer and she never dissapoints, my fav contemporary is winter roses

angel creek is one of my fav books

and leigh greenwoods texan's honor was very good.

the river devil is also a great book

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
becke_davis
0 Kudos
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, I see that you have Janet Dailey on your list. I refuse to read her books when I learned that she stole (plagurized) stuff from Nora Roberts. She was even prosecuted for it.

I don't know how you feel about that. I just wanted to let you know my opinions on Ms. Dailey. She must be a talented author but it is sad if you have to steal from another author to write your books.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on this?

ReadingPatti

becke_davis

I hesitated to list those for that very reason. Janet Dailey was one of the first romance authors I read, and I loved her books -- I have read all of her books, BUT I stopped when the whole plagiarism thing came out. Nora Roberts was pretty new then -- it upset me that an established author would plagiarize at all, much less do it to an upcoming author. I was a fan of Nora's, too, and I was really shocked by the whole thing. 

They've repackaged and reissued several of Janet Dailey's books, which kind of surprised me. The books I listed were favorites of mine -- I loved the books, but I'm still really disappointed in the author.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, Yes, it is very sad when an established author has to steal from an upcoming author. I wonder what Janet was thinking. But look at Nora Roberts. She is great. She have some many great books. Especially the In Death series. So I think Nora is the winner in this dispute.

I really hope that Janet has learned her lesson. I wonder how she would have felt if that had happend to her when she started coming up, probably not too good.

I like your post.

I am loving FIred up.

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

so the first book in linda lael miller's texas mckettrcik book, tate came out today!!!...

pretty excited, deff buying it this weekend.

i read hte excerpt online- niice!

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"