Reply
Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007

Your Top Five: Historical Authors

I've set myself up for failure with this one, because as most of you know, I live and breathe historical romance most of the time. Yet I feel compelled to try to name the five authors' books I'd take with me were I stranded in a faraway land where the rules forbade me bring six or even twenty-five authors' books...

 

I've revised this list, I think, twenty times. But here goes:

 

Madeline Hunter

Lisa Kleypas

Philippa Gregory (She's not a romance author by definition, but there are love stories in her books. And she'd satisfy my appetite for history...)

Georgette Heyer

Amanda Quick

 

 

I don't know. I may have to edit this post later to add Julia Quinn, Shana Abe, Stephanie Laurens...Go ahead! You try! What five historical authors would you want on your desert island?

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Well Melanie my top five contains seven is that alright, no, okay here are my five you taskmaster!

1. Lynn Kurland

2. Johanna Lindsey

3. Amanda Quick

4. Hannah Howell

5. Linda Lael Miller

 

Whew that was hard!!

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
Posts: 848
Registered: ‎08-03-2009

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Hi Melanie - I agree with Debbie - This IS HARD !

 

Some of you  who know me, know my  #1

 

1. Diana Gabaldon

2. Sara Donati

3. Stephanie Laurens

4. Lisa Kleypas

5. Tie - Julia Quinn & Victoria Alexander

 

Now, how many books by each author can we bring to the desert island.......

 

Anne

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

 


1AnneB wrote:

 

Now, how many books by each author can we bring to the desert island.......


 

Unlimited numbers! That's why I picked Amanda Quick and Philippa Gregory. Lots of books!

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

 


Melanie_Murray wrote:

 


1AnneB wrote:

 

Now, how many books by each author can we bring to the desert island.......


 

Unlimited numbers! That's why I picked Amanda Quick and Philippa Gregory. Lots of books!

 


 

 

I say we bring five authors each to a desert island, whip up some kind of parchment and say to hell with the rest of the world.

 

Frequent Contributor
njoireading
Posts: 50
Registered: ‎04-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Tough but I would list (no particular order)

 

Diana Gabaldon

Julia Quinn

Eloisa James

Sherry Thomas

Lisa Kleypas

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Okay, you KNOW I can't do five. These are authors that, if I see a book of theirs I haven't read, I will instantly buy it or pre-order it (and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting). (And I can hear Melanie snickering!)

 

Anna Campbell

Joanna Bourne

Loretta Chase

Victoria Dahl

Eloisa James

Lisa Kleypas

Christina Dodd

Sherry Thomas

Lorraine Heath

Tessa Dare

Christine Wells

Eva Ibbotson

Jennifer Haymore

Donna MacMeans

Jennifer Ashley

Carolyn Jewel

Connie Brockway

Elizabeth Hoyt

Christine Merrill

Judith Ivory

Anne Gracie

Mary Balogh

Jenna Peterson

 

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Becke! That's twenty-three authors! This is your top FIVE! I demand you trim this list!!!

 

(I am snickering. Your transformation is complete!!!)

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Hmm, how about I add two and make it an even 25?

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

 


becke_davis wrote:

Hmm, how about I add two and make it an even 25?


 

Okay. Then we'll say that you're stranded on five desert islands. :smileywink:

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Melanie I cry FOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Don't let her get away with that!

 

Trim that list!!!!

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

 


Melanie_Murray wrote:

 


becke_davis wrote:

Hmm, how about I add two and make it an even 25?


 

Okay. Then we'll say that you're stranded on five desert islands. :smileywink:

 


 

Maybe I should convert you to the dark side of romantic suspense, now that you've converted me to historicals. Karen Rose could come up with the five desert island thing -- and I'd be in pieces . . .

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Well, if I must -- but I warn you, this list might change from one week to the next, depending on what I'm reading.

 

Anna Campbell

Loretta Chase

Sherry Thomas

Joanna Bourne

Victoria Dahl

 

And this is actually PAINFUL!

 

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Thank you Becke, because It was very painful to me too, and I bet even more painful for Melanie since she lives and dies by historicals

 

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
Posts: 848
Registered: ‎08-03-2009

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Hi Everyone - Becke *my TBR pile is now teetering and falling down * you have listed some authors that I haven't tried yet.....I may need to get a new house !!! or else my husband will post my picture in the bookstores with a note "DO  NOT SELL ANY MORE BOOKS TO THIS WOMAN " We are definitely going to need 5 islands - one for historical romances, one for contemporary romances, one for paranormal romances, one for erotic romances and one for romantic thrillers - will there be a ferry service that takes us from one to the other?????

 

Anne

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
Posts: 2,066
Registered: ‎10-18-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

i could deal with the ferry, lol

 

and in no particular order:

lisa kleypas

linda lael miller

eloisa james

amanda quick

julie garwood

but there are so many others...

 

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

 


1AnneB wrote:

Hi Everyone - Becke *my TBR pile is now teetering and falling down * you have listed some authors that I haven't tried yet.....I may need to get a new house !!! or else my husband will post my picture in the bookstores with a note "DO  NOT SELL ANY MORE BOOKS TO THIS WOMAN " We are definitely going to need 5 islands - one for historical romances, one for contemporary romances, one for paranormal romances, one for erotic romances and one for romantic thrillers - will there be a ferry service that takes us from one to the other?????

 

Anne


 

I'm sure my husband would like to see signs like that posted in the bookstores in my area, too!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

Add Laura Kinsale and Maya Rodale for my top 25. Can I go for a Top 50?

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors

 


becke_davis wrote:

Add Laura Kinsale and Maya Rodale for my top 25. Can I go for a Top 50?


 

Becke, we need to have an intervention. How many islands are you planning on visiting?

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Your Top Five: Historical Authors


Melanie_Murray wrote:

 


becke_davis wrote:

Add Laura Kinsale and Maya Rodale for my top 25. Can I go for a Top 50?


 

Becke, we need to have an intervention. How many islands are you planning on visiting?

 


Well, they are ISLANDS, Melanie -- I figure, I'll start with Kauai and work my way through the Hawaiian Islands, then head to the Caribbean. I'm not one for cruises, but as long as I am well-stocked with books, I could force myself to go island-hopping for awhile. Just not, say, the Aleutians.