Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Yr favorite small town romance?

I happen to love falling into a perfect small town romance -- with the flavor of small town America (usually), and a bubbling pot of passion and scandal.  My newest B&N Review column features five terrific ones --

Romance Column

Please check it out and then tell us what your favorite small town romance is!

yours,

Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Yr favorite small town romance?

As always Eloisa great article and how true is that. I for one not only love to read about small towns I live in a small farming town of 300 in Eastern Central Missouri not too far from St. Louis.

Some of my favorite small town romance series are: 

Susan Wiggs - Lakeshore Chronicals from Avalon NY

Sarah Graves - Home Repair is Homicide series from Eastport Maine

Emilie Richards - Ministry is Murder series from Emerald Springs (don't know where)

Marie Bostwick - Her Thread series from New Bern CT

Linda Lael Miller - any of her series from small towns across the USA

thats a  few of my favorites.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh yes, I love those Sarah Graves books - set in Maine!

Also these small towns come to mind:

Toni Blake's Destiny OH

Lori Foster's Visitation, NC

Helen Brenna's Mirabelle Island

becke_davis
0 Kudos

How could I forget Vicki Lewis Thompson's Hex series - I love Big Knob, Indiana, her setting for those books!

Eloisa mentioned some favorites of mine in her column. Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, to start with, then Jenny Crusie, Lisa Dale and Susan Mallery. I've read Lori Wilde's other books but not the new one yet. And I'm looking forward to reading Marsha Moyer's book soon!

Correspondent
JalMor77
0 Kudos

Those are all good ones!

I also love Robyn Carr's Virgin River series!  It is excellent.

We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh. - Agnes Repplier
0 Kudos

Another great column, EJ. I added the Lori Wilde to my TBB list. It sounds great.

Susan Wiggs's Avalon, Robyn Carr's Virgin River, Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove, and Toni Blake's Destiny are all places I love to visit. If we're including mysteries, I'd add Julia Spencer-Fleming Millers Kill, Nancy Atherton's Finch, and Margaret Maron's Colleton County.

And I must add that Marsha Moyer's Lucy Hatch books are among my all-time favorites. I have reread my copies till they are falling apart. Hearing that Moyer is writing another book, even if the stories of Lucy, Ashe, and Mooney have ended, would be a lovely Christmas gift.

Frequent Contributor
cheri2628
0 Kudos

I am a big fan of small-town stories. I enjoyed Lori Wilde's Wedding Veil series and Lisa Dale's first book Simple Wishes. Other favorites have been Robyn Carr's Virgin River books and Susan Wiggs' Lakeshore Chronicles. Debbie Macomber and Nora Roberts have also written quite a few wonderful books set in small towns.
Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Debbie, 300 people?  Now THAT's a small town!  I grew up in a town of 2,242, but suddenly I feel as if it was the big city...

There's a huge pleasure to the idea that everyone knows your name.  My sister used to be able to identify practically every car, especially, natch, those driven by teenage boys.  And we all knew incontrovertible truths, such as "girls from Dawson (a nearby small town) were fast."

Nora Roberts does a great job of giving that flavor...

Eloisa 

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

cheri2628 wrote:
I am a big fan of small-town stories. I enjoyed Lori Wilde's Wedding Veil series and Lisa Dale's first book Simple Wishes. Other favorites have been Robyn Carr's Virgin River books and Susan Wiggs' Lakeshore Chronicles. Debbie Macomber and Nora Roberts have also written quite a few wonderful books set in small towns.

Debbie Macomber makes Seattle feel like a small town, no? It's what I love about her books, the charm and tight-knit community feel.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

No kidding! I picked up one of Debbie M's books for the column that I had read and confidently remembered as being small townish -- and then realized it was set in a city, not a town!

Eloisa

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

EloisaJames wrote:

No kidding! I picked up one of Debbie M's books for the column that I had read and confidently remembered as being small townish -- and then realized it was set in a city, not a town!

Eloisa

I always have that experience with her! I forget that the one series is set in Seattle!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Debbie M's "Blossom Street Series" Always felt like a small town..Because she writes in such a "cozy fashion" My all time favorite  is the "Welcome to Tyler" series set in Wisconsin..I live in a very small Vt. Town,and its the best feeling.I grew up in NYC,and always wanted this "Where everybody knows your name,car etc...  ..Nora Roberts "Three Sisters Island Trilogy" series  one of the best... Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Becke,and Everyone Else....Please Vote

I give her Trilogy series a 10+..Only N.Roberts I have read,loved them . Becke.Not sure if you are aware that there is a "Book Cover Award Voting Site"pen21 told me about it.I didn't write it down,but if you go to beccafitzpatrick.com  Becca has a link..Hush,Hush is in many catagories,as well as some of your super favorite Authors...Such amazing covers Romance,Paranormal,Hot Romance etc,etc  Post if you vote..maybe others will do that as well...Hush Hush is of course my favorite  Vtc  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for telling us about the contest. I voted in a romance cover contest someone on Facebook sent me the link to, but this sounds like something different. I'll check it out.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

The website for that cover contest is http://allthingsurbanfantasy.blogspot.com/  I didn't see any of Nora Roberts covers but they did have some good ones on it.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
cheri2628
0 Kudos

I read a lot of Christmas romances this time of year.  I find that my favorites are those that take place either in Regency England or small-town USA.  Nora Roberts' THE GIFT and Debbie Macomber's SMALL TOWN CHRISTMAS  are 2 that I have read this week, and both are set in small communities.  I enjoy the small-town feeling that the whole town is celebrating together.  The celebrations are simple, but more meaningful.

Cheri/Cheryl C.

New User
Linnasue
0 Kudos

My favorite small town romance (as always) is the one I'm reading right now. That would be Lori Wilde's 'Sweethearts' Knitting Club'. I love the fact that the heroine is faking it. Haven't we all been there sometime?

Contributor
Santa
0 Kudos

I didn't grow up in a huge town but certainly not as small as some of the towns mentioned here. My parents grew up in a small village where everyone did know your name. Really freaky to see it all recently on YouTube which makes small towns HUGE.

I think my love of small town books is connected to the series my favorite authors write. It's as if the town takes on a character of its own in the story. Robyn Carr's Virgin River series makes me want to drive through the mountains to that town.

Nicole Cornick's recent series takes place in Fortune's Folly and I get the same feeling.

I have to echo everyone else's favorites here, as well.

Contributor
belongdownsouth
0 Kudos

hmmm small town? how bout daddy for keeps. More than a Cowboy, Daddy's Little Cowgirl, Finaly a Family, A Family for Luke, Arkansas, Love Song, Reluctant Cowgirl, The Cowboy Takes a Bride, and Aling Came a Cowboy....I know lol I read alot of cowboy books hahaha

Sounds like life to me it ain’t no fantasy
It’s just a common case of everyday reality
Man I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up
To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy
It sounds like life to me