Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bassjules

'edgier' (for lack of a better word) Christian romance

I'm a Christian yet I enjoy a good book with complex characters and authors who don't gloss over things. I recently discovered Francine Rivers & Liz Curtis Higgs, but are there any similar writers who write modern day stories (also ok with historical stuff)? I want an author who isn't afraid to write about sex, tough choices, spiritual struggles, etc. I have no problem with a love scene as long as it's between a married couple. It seems that many secular authors & the media in general portray marriage as passionless. No, I'm not looking for something lust-ridden or whatever. It's just that I recently read a novel and the couple got married but didn't consummate their relationship until months later. The only reason I know they actually had sex was because she got pregnant. lol! I never even got to read their first kiss. This same book also had every character as the perfect Christian. I can't stand Mary Sues or Gary Stus.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: 'edgier' (for lack of a better word) Christian romance

bassjules wrote:

I'm a Christian yet I enjoy a good book with complex characters and authors who don't gloss over things. I recently discovered Francine Rivers & Liz Curtis Higgs, but are there any similar writers who write modern day stories (also ok with historical stuff)? I want an author who isn't afraid to write about sex, tough choices, spiritual struggles, etc. I have no problem with a love scene as long as it's between a married couple. It seems that many secular authors & the media in general portray marriage as passionless. No, I'm not looking for something lust-ridden or whatever. It's just that I recently read a novel and the couple got married but didn't consummate their relationship until months later. The only reason I know they actually had sex was because she got pregnant. lol! I never even got to read their first kiss. This same book also had every character as the perfect Christian. I can't stand Mary Sues or Gary Stus.

I'm so glad you stopped in here. I wish I could answer this question but I'm not the most well-versed in Christian romance. Never fear, though, the posters here are going to help you, and I'm really interested to see who they recommend.

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

I have just recently dipped into Christian Romance and enjoyed by Chris Coppernoll. He is a really good lover, and has pretty much everything you have listed above. I know he has a couple of books out also. There is love, romance and spritial remarks in them.

I read

A Beautiful Fall 

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB

bassjules wrote:

I happened upon a series that I think you will like by Dee Henderson - The O'Malleys. She has written other books, but I've not read any.

Anne

Danger in the Shadows (O'Malley Series) 

The Negotiator (O'Malley Series #1) 

Here's the rest:

2. The Guardian (2001)
3. The Truth Seeker (2001)
4. The Protector (2001)
5. The Healer (2002)
6. The Rescuer (2003)

Contributor
bassjules
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for responding. On a similar Amazon forum, I basically got read the riot act by someone who thinks books by Christian authors must = perfect people with perfect lives. The Bible itself deals with some really gritty issues that happened to less than perfect people. LOL I'm already a Christian so I don't need to be preached to, but like to read about realistic characters. I like compassionate characters with flaws and complexities. :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

You also need to try Father Andrew Greeley, he has a wonderful series starring Nuala McGrail

very spiritual, but also contain married sex. Lovely stories. Also check out some of his other works of fiction here's a link to his book here

Also you might want to check out Harlequin's Steeple Hill their inspirational division of books

right here

I hope this helps

zaphiragirl
0 Kudos

I read a christian romance series once...haven't been able to forget the stories but yet, I did forgot the names of the authors and the titles of the novels as well =/...[sad fail there]

More than that I haven't really read any [in christian categories] I looooove romance but authors in these categories tend to go too magic and too fairy tale like and I prefer realistic/ lovely / believable plots and of course if they are christian reads Please include God! [i mean come on!?]

....im not asking for a tragic ending or anything like that...just not so much cliche of the desperate woman and the calm protective [probably rich and incredibly handsome] man...or any of those...T_T it's really exausting for me.

I do get, 'bassjules' point, although I differ on some...the series I read it had the kissing and the marrying part...the reader knows the protagonist consumate their love there are a few scenes on which well....you have to be very dumb not to know what the writer is talking about, but what I liked from that was that it wasn't too explicit, too descriptive [you know what I mean?]

At the end romance novels, either christian or secular, its always and I have the feeling will always be difficult for me to find one I will actually like and keep under the list of: Favorites.

Romance may look like a corny genre, but it is a difficult one, while most readers go lurking around for just a happy ending I want to make sure I wont spend my time reading about magic wonderful and [imposible to ever reach] love.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
God Bless and Happy Reading!
Contributor
Romance_Reader24
0 Kudos

I would have to agree with the Dee Henderson recommendations.

Danger in the Shadows (O'Malley Series)  I am not a Christian reader and it normally annoys me to be preached to in a book, but she handles the religious aspect well and I can skim over the bible verses easily without losing track of the stories (which are good). Definitely try her!

Another I've read and enjoyed is:

Stuck in the Middle   

I Love to Read!!!
zaphiragirl
0 Kudos

Romance_Reader...

Could you tell me a little more about Stuck in the middle?? I have it, I got it for free from Kobo books but i haven't been able to get interested on it...what's your insight about it??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
God Bless and Happy Reading!