Contributor
bassjules

'edgier' (for lack of a better word) Christian romance

I'm a Christian yet I enjoy a good book with complex characters and authors who don't gloss over things. I recently discovered Francine Rivers & Liz Curtis Higgs, but are there any similar writers who write modern day stories (also ok with historical stuff)? I want an author who isn't afraid to write about sex, tough choices, spiritual struggles, etc. I have no problem with a love scene as long as it's between a married couple. It seems that many secular authors & the media in general portray marriage as passionless. No, I'm not looking for something lust-ridden or whatever. It's just that I recently read a novel and the couple got married but didn't consummate their relationship until months later. The only reason I know they actually had sex was because she got pregnant. lol! I never even got to read their first kiss. This same book also had every character as the perfect Christian. I can't stand Mary Sues or Gary Stus.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: 'edgier' (for lack of a better word) Christian romance

bassjules wrote:

I'm a Christian yet I enjoy a good book with complex characters and authors who don't gloss over things. I recently discovered Francine Rivers & Liz Curtis Higgs, but are there any similar writers who write modern day stories (also ok with historical stuff)? I want an author who isn't afraid to write about sex, tough choices, spiritual struggles, etc. I have no problem with a love scene as long as it's between a married couple. It seems that many secular authors & the media in general portray marriage as passionless. No, I'm not looking for something lust-ridden or whatever. It's just that I recently read a novel and the couple got married but didn't consummate their relationship until months later. The only reason I know they actually had sex was because she got pregnant. lol! I never even got to read their first kiss. This same book also had every character as the perfect Christian. I can't stand Mary Sues or Gary Stus.

I'm so glad you stopped in here. I wish I could answer this question but I'm not the most well-versed in Christian romance. Never fear, though, the posters here are going to help you, and I'm really interested to see who they recommend.

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

I have just recently dipped into Christian Romance and enjoyed by Chris Coppernoll. He is a really good lover, and has pretty much everything you have listed above. I know he has a couple of books out also. There is love, romance and spritial remarks in them.

I read

A Beautiful Fall 

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB

bassjules wrote:

I happened upon a series that I think you will like by Dee Henderson - The O'Malleys. She has written other books, but I've not read any.

Anne

Danger in the Shadows (O'Malley Series) 

The Negotiator (O'Malley Series #1) 

Here's the rest:

2. The Guardian (2001)
3. The Truth Seeker (2001)
4. The Protector (2001)
5. The Healer (2002)
6. The Rescuer (2003)

Contributor
bassjules
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for responding. On a similar Amazon forum, I basically got read the riot act by someone who thinks books by Christian authors must = perfect people with perfect lives. The Bible itself deals with some really gritty issues that happened to less than perfect people. LOL I'm already a Christian so I don't need to be preached to, but like to read about realistic characters. I like compassionate characters with flaws and complexities. :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

You also need to try Father Andrew Greeley, he has a wonderful series starring Nuala McGrail

very spiritual, but also contain married sex. Lovely stories. Also check out some of his other works of fiction here's a link to his book here

Also you might want to check out Harlequin's Steeple Hill their inspirational division of books

right here

I hope this helps

zaphiragirl
0 Kudos

I read a christian romance series once...haven't been able to forget the stories but yet, I did forgot the names of the authors and the titles of the novels as well =/...[sad fail there]

More than that I haven't really read any [in christian categories] I looooove romance but authors in these categories tend to go too magic and too fairy tale like and I prefer realistic/ lovely / believable plots and of course if they are christian reads Please include God! [i mean come on!?]

....im not asking for a tragic ending or anything like that...just not so much cliche of the desperate woman and the calm protective [probably rich and incredibly handsome] man...or any of those...T_T it's really exausting for me.

I do get, 'bassjules' point, although I differ on some...the series I read it had the kissing and the marrying part...the reader knows the protagonist consumate their love there are a few scenes on which well....you have to be very dumb not to know what the writer is talking about, but what I liked from that was that it wasn't too explicit, too descriptive [you know what I mean?]

At the end romance novels, either christian or secular, its always and I have the feeling will always be difficult for me to find one I will actually like and keep under the list of: Favorites.

Romance may look like a corny genre, but it is a difficult one, while most readers go lurking around for just a happy ending I want to make sure I wont spend my time reading about magic wonderful and [imposible to ever reach] love.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
God Bless and Happy Reading!
Contributor
Romance_Reader24
0 Kudos

I would have to agree with the Dee Henderson recommendations.

Danger in the Shadows (O'Malley Series)  I am not a Christian reader and it normally annoys me to be preached to in a book, but she handles the religious aspect well and I can skim over the bible verses easily without losing track of the stories (which are good). Definitely try her!

Another I've read and enjoyed is:

Stuck in the Middle   

I Love to Read!!!
zaphiragirl
0 Kudos

Romance_Reader...

Could you tell me a little more about Stuck in the middle?? I have it, I got it for free from Kobo books but i haven't been able to get interested on it...what's your insight about it??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
God Bless and Happy Reading!