Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
steffersSG
0 Kudos

need book suggestions

I enjoy books about romance. I’m looking for books that are romantic but not erotic. I read the twilight series (as everyone has) and enjoyed the themes of romance and the whole damsel in distress but hated all the vampires. I’m also 24 years old and would like to stay away from all the teen books (if possible). If anyone has any good suggestions please let me know!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: need book suggestions

steffersSG wrote:

I enjoy books about romance. I’m looking for books that are romantic but not erotic. I read the twilight series (as everyone has) and enjoyed the themes of romance and the whole damsel in distress but hated all the vampires. I’m also 24 years old and would like to stay away from all the teen books (if possible). If anyone has any good suggestions please let me know!

Welcome! I'll try not to inundate you with suggestions, but for newcomers to romance I always suggest Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jennifer Crusie, and Kristan Higgins.

Here are some of their books:

Match Me If You Can 

What I Did for Love  

Ain't She Sweet?

The Cinderella Deal  

Welcome to Temptation  

Bet Me

Catch of the Day  

The Next Best Thing 

Too Good to Be True  

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

Even if your not into the teen books anymore a great romance series in the teen section is

Perfect Chemistry

Rules of Attraction 

trust me you wont be sorry with this series even though its for teens I'm almost 20 and I still enjoyed it a lot. 

as for great romance books here are some..

This is a great historical romance by Lisa Kleypas

Mine Till Midnight (Hathaway Series #1)

Seduce Me at Sunrise (Hathaway Series #2)

Tempt Me at Twilight (Hathaway Series #3)  

This one is a cute fun book that I really enjoyed

Freudian Slip  

Many people like this Bride series by Nora Roberts, the third book was just released in April

Vision in White (Nora Roberts' Bride Quartet Series #1)  

Another great series by Nora Roberts, this one is paranormal though involving dark powers and a demon.

The Sign of Seven Trilogy Boxed Set

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
Irishcontessa
0 Kudos

Anything by Nora Roberts is good. If you like magic but not vampires, Jean Johnson's Sons of Destiny series is good. A book I really enjoyed was Much Ado in the Moonlight by Kurland. Christina Dodd has a good contemporary romance series featuring half brothers. I very much enjoy Roxanne St. Claire and Lora Leigh's contemporary books but they are more explicit than the Twilight books so might not be up your alley. If you like romantic suspense, I enjoy Mariah Stewarts books as well.

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

The Summer of You  Summer of You is really good. It's romance and definitely NOT erotic, i think you would enjoy this Historical.

I would highly recommend anything by Julie Garwood. I haven't ever been dissapointed when I sit down to read a Julie Garwood book. She has quite a few Historical Romance and Contemporary Suspense romance. If you like suspense then I would recommend.

Heartbreaker

Mercy  These 2 are some of my favorite books of all time.

I would also recommend

The Surgeon (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles Series #1)

It's a Suspense/Thriller/Romance, but has some gore in it, so if that's not your cup of tea then stray away from this one. 

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

sterrersSG, Have you tried the House of Night books. It starts with Marked. I know it is Young Adult but I hear that they are really good.

Just a thought.

ReadingPatti

Blogger
Marisa-ONeill
0 Kudos

Welcome sterrersSG 

I've put my thinking cap on and if you're looking for romance that is not necessarily erotic perhaps you'd enjoy one of my favorite authors - Catherine Anderson.

She's got a great contemporary series The Kendrick - Coulter - Harrigan series - a family of brothers and a sister that I really enjoyed. The first book is :

One of my favorites in the series is Phantom Waltz:

All the suggestions above should get you started and you'll soon find an 'auto-buy' author in romance and branch out from there. Happy reading!

New User
roswellmd77
0 Kudos