Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
0 Kudos

who is your favorite author?

Hi everyone! I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite romance author(s) may be  as well as some suggestions as to what authors to read. I'm a fan of Nora Roberts and I like paranormal romance as well. How about you? :smileyhappy:

Christina
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

Re: who is your favorite author?

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Here are some authors I really enjoyed reading books by (in no particular order):

Stephenie Meyer - Twilight Saga SeriesTwilight  

Cassandra Clare - The Mortal Instruments SeriesCity of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series #1)  

Dara Joy - Matrix of Destiny SeriesRejar  

Jennifer Ashley - Shifters Unbound SeriesPride Mates (Shifters Unbound Series)  

Lili St. Crow - Strange Angels SeriesStrange Angels (Strange Angels Series #1)  

Jessica Verday - The Hollow TrilogyThe Hollow  

Maggie Steifvater - Wolves of Mercy Falls SeriesShiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1)  

Julie Kagawa - Iron Fey SeriesThe Iron King  

Becca Fitzpatrick - Hiush,Hush & CrescendoHush, Hush  

Aprilynne Pike - The Wings SeriesWings  

Meg Cabot - The Mediator SeriesShadowland (Mediator Series #1)  

Sophie Jordan - FirelightFirelight  

Amber Kizer - MeridianMeridian  

Happy Reading:smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

Some of my favorites, in no particular order

Heather Graham/Shannon Drake

Brenda Joyce

Kresley Cole

Lara Adrian

Julie Garwood

Jeaniene Frost

Lora Leigh

Erin McCarthy

Sherrilyn Kenyon

Maya Banks

Nora Roberts

J.R. Ward

Lyndsay Sands

Of course I love more then that, it's hard to choose just one.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

in random order:

nora roberts

linda lael miller

lisa kleypas

linda howard

carla cassidy

karen rose

karen robards

jr ward

julie garwood

cassandra clare

amanda quick/jayne ann krentz

becca fitzpatrick

eloisa james

rick riordan

lucy monroe

julie james

julia quinn

cathie linz

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Frequent Contributor
Irishcontessa
0 Kudos

For paranormal romance, some (but by no means all) of my favorites are Nalini Singh, Kresley Cole, and Gena Showalter. There are, of course, many more that I love as well. I second (or third or fourth) Lora Leigh as a favorite and would also add Roxanne St. Claire for contemporary alpha hero books.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Countess Below Stairs 

I LOVED this book and was so sad to see this:

Author Eva Ibbotson died October 20 at her home in Newcastle, England. She was 85. Born in Vienna, Ibbotson moved to the U.K. in 1934 at age eight. In a career that spanned three decades, she wrote more than 20 novels for children and adults. Her first book, The Great Ghost Rescue, was published by Macmillan in the U.K. in 1975; she was shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal for 1979’s Which Witch?, and her novels Journey to the River Sea (2001) and The Star of Kazan(2004) received numerous awards and citations (the latter won the Nestlé Children’s Book Prize Silver Award and was shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal).

Ebbottson’s latest book, The Ogre of Oglefort, was shortlisted for the 2010 Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize and is scheduled to be published in the U.S. by Dutton in summer 2011.

Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
0 Kudos

Becke , I agree it is sad.:smileysad: Its always sad to get to know someone or feel like you have, and then they are gone. But perhaps she will leave a legacy  that may live on through us; the reader . :smileyhappy: I never read any books by her but I am going to look into her as well as the other authors that were listed by the other contributers. I'm pleased to see that a lot of you share my interests in reading, which is nice:smileyhappy: it feels great to know that I can connect with people:smileyhappy:

Thank you all for your posts and please, if you can, keep them coming  :smileyhappy:  Note: I should have said "what is or are your favorite author(s)?" :smileywink:

I too have a feeling that I may find several favorites :smileywink: hee hee hee

Christina
becke_davis
0 Kudos

rosilynn_grey wrote:

Becke , I agree it is sad.:smileysad: Its always sad to get to know someone or feel like you have, and then they are gone. But perhaps she will leave a legacy  that may live on through us; the reader . :smileyhappy: I never read any books by her but I am going to look into her as well as the other authors that were listed by the other contributers. I'm pleased to see that a lot of you share my interests in reading, which is nice:smileyhappy: it feels great to know that I can connect with people:smileyhappy:

Thank you all for your posts and please, if you can, keep them coming  :smileyhappy:  Note: I should have said "what is or are your favorite author(s)?" :smileywink:

I too have a feeling that I may find several favorites :smileywink: hee hee hee

I couldn't come up with a top ten list if you paid me. Maybe a top 100.

Contributor
Romance_Reader24
0 Kudos

I really like Heather Graham, Nora Roberts, Jackie Collins, Lisa Kleypas, Jennifer Crusie and Janet Evanovich (though she's not really romance). Elizabeth Lowell wrote a great series revolving around a family named Donovan. The only title I can remember is Jade Island, but the whole series was great. I think they're about 10 years old now, but I really enjoyed them.

I Love to Read!!!
Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello romance_reader, thanks for the post and welcome :smileyhappy: I'll have to check out that Donovan series. I don't recall seeing it before. I Hope you enjoy the book club and happy reading :smileyhappy:

Christina
Frequent Contributor
Irishcontessa
0 Kudos

Romance_Reader24 wrote:

I really like Heather Graham, Nora Roberts, Jackie Collins, Lisa Kleypas, Jennifer Crusie and Janet Evanovich (though she's not really romance). Elizabeth Lowell wrote a great series revolving around a family named Donovan. The only title I can remember is Jade Island, but the whole series was great. I think they're about 10 years old now, but I really enjoyed them.

The Lowell series is great! It's Amber Beach, Jade Island, Pearl Cove, and Midnight in Ruby Bayou. I read them all in college and still have them. I've read several of her other books as well and very much enjoyed them.

Amber Beach (Donovans Series #1)

Jade Island (Donovans Series #2)

Pearl Cove (Donovans Series #3)

Midnight in Ruby Bayou (Donovans Series #4)

Frequent Contributor
Sable677
0 Kudos

Some of my favorites are:

Jayne Ann Krentz/ Amanda Quick/ Jayne Castle

Nora Roberts

Sabrina Jefferies

J.R. Ward

J.K. Beck

Gena Showalter

Christine Feehan

Nalini Singh

Julie Garwood

Judith McNaught

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Some of my favorites (in no particular order)

Julia Quinn

Nora Roberts

Heather Graham

Sabrina Jeffries

-Donna

Inspired Contributor
1lovealways
0 Kudos

I couldn't mention my favorite author today without mentioning my all time favorite author, Kathleen E. Woodiwiss.  Back in the day, Historical Romance was just about the only genre I read.  When we lost her in 2007, it simply broke my heart.  I was a dyed in the wool fan and even had the privilege of meeting her and getting an autographed copy of "Shanna."  I have all of her books and when I want to read a Historical with that very special magic, I pick up one of her books.

Sherrilyn Kenyon is my favorite author now.  Besides being very prolific, I find her books easy to read and quite interesting.  The sentences just flow from one to the other so seamlessly.  Also, she has a lot of series that I haven't read.  I love how imaginative her books are as well.  Her backlist keeps me entertained until a new Dark Hunter book comes out.  The DH's and The Lords of Avalon are my favorite series of her's so far.:smileyhappy:

Some of my other favorites in no particular order are:

J.R. Ward

Amanda Ashley

Kresley Cole

Jeaniene Frost

Lora Leigh

Kathleen Eagle

Lara Adria

Larissa Ione

Janet Evanovich

Sandra Brown

Christine Feehan

Nalini Singh

Barbara Delinsky

Karen Marie Moning

Toni Blake

Brenda Joyce

Elizabeth Stuart

Christine Warren

Lynsay Sands

Linda Howard

Michele Hauf

Lynn Viehl

Frequent Contributor
Yvette4

I agree with the other posts I've read that it is definitely hard to select just one favorite author.  But, at the very top of my list is Cherise Sinclair.  Sadly, B&N really doesn't carry too many of her books (she just had a new release this past Tuesday [Master of the Abyss -- pick it up from loose-id.com if you want to read a good book].  But, since this is book 2, you should probably pick up Master of the Mountain first).  Of course I've already plowed through it.  Luckily for me, I'm not adverse to purchasing my ebooks from other sites.

Other favorite authors are listed below (I've given the series that made me love the author):

Kresley Cole (fell in love after reading her IAD and MacCarrick Brothers trilogy)

J R Ward (BDB)

Lora Leigh (Breeds, Elite Ops)

Larissa Ione (Demonica)

Gail Faulkner (Gosh, it may be time for me to reread "Into His Keeping" for the 12th time.  Into His Keeping is not a series, but I loved this book.  That inspired me to pick up "Wanna Play" and "Slip Knot."  They are soo good!)

Gena Showalter (Lords of the Underworld)

Lara Adrian (Midnight Breeds)

Stacia Kane (Downside Ghosts)

Shayla Black (Doomsday Brethern & Wicked Lovers)

Lynsay Sands (Argeneau)

If you haven't read any of these authors, then its time to branch out and widen your horizon.  You'll be happy you did!

New User
carocress

How can you have one favorite when there's so many great ones out there?  Nora Roberts, Susan Mallery, Eloisa James, Roxanne St. Claire, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Carly Phillips, Lisa Kleypas, Maureen Child, Julia Quinn, Stephanie Laurens... and more.  I love them... I love looking for their new books, reading old ones.  I just finished Rocki's "Edge of Sight".  Hate having to wait until the next one is out.... I've pre-ordered already - April 2011.

Correspondent
wyntermoon
0 Kudos

Hello everyone....some of my favorite authors are Kresley Cole, Gena Showalter, Maggie Shayne, Johanna Lindsey, Cathy Maxwell, Shannon Drake, Lara Aidrian, Allie Mackay, and I am sure there are others that I can't remember right now.  I enjoy paranormal and historical romances, although I am not against other kinds because I do read them, though not that often.  I hope to get to know others that enjoy reading romances.

Inspired Contributor
Amiee_Novelnose
0 Kudos

This is a hard one because I've had so many over the years. In the last few years my favorites have been:

Sherrilyn Kenyon

Kresley Cole

Gena Showalter

J.R. Ward

Lora Leigh

Karen Marie Moning

Julia Quinn

Johanna Lindsey

These are my absolutely must read authors. There are many many more favorites.

Correspondent
lesnes
0 Kudos

Wow that is a tough question...I have more than one, and in different genre. But here are some:

Lora Leigh

Maya Banks

Shelley Laurenston/ G.A. Aiken

Shayla Black/Shelley Bradley

Opal Crew

Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jennifer Crusie

Janet Evanovich

Jeaniene Frost

Kristan Higgins

Katie Macalister

Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series/Fever series)

Laurell K Hamilton........And many,many more.