Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Favorite scenes and quotes

Use this thread to post your favorite quotes or scenes from Run.
Stephanie
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite scenes and quotes

I live in Boston, and I enjoyed reading about the city that I know so well. There were many references to Harvard University, the Kennedy School of Government, the Cathedral of John the Divine and local Boston landmarksstreets.

Ann Patchett casts a skeptical eye on the "gentrification" of some areas of Boston.

One passage (p.215) where Tip and Kenya walk on Dartmouth Street after a heavy snowfall is my absolute favorite:

"They were moving down Dartmouth Street at a good clip....The sidewalk was brick, charming, until you tried to shovel off the snow... Same old Dartmouth Street, a shrine to wealth and minutely polished taste, every narrow side street more precious and perfect than the other before it....

"The street's gotten too gentrified," Tip said.

He turned his head up to see four stories of gentrification, ... the South end was a long way away from the squatter days, its fire-in-the-trash-barrel days... Kenya took inventory of the empty window boxes, the slender birch trees in the sidewalk, the stair rails fashioned in ornate ironwork. Even in the snow it all looked orderly and neat. She knew full well how lovely it would be once the purple vinca made a carpet around every tree and the geraniums filled the boxes.

"But it looks nice," Kenya said.

"You're missing the point," Tip said. "While they're fixing the windows and picking up the trash and planting flowers, they get rid of the poor people too. I mean the black people, the brown people. They push them out over into Roxbury. That's the gentry's idea of cleaning up."

OUCH!
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite scenes and quotes

IBIS,

What great quotes you chose! I can picture that scene so vividly (as I can so many others), that it is almost as if I'm there. And "ouch" is right!
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 659 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: