Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and let us know what attracted you to this book. Have you read other books by Patchett?
New User
jeanhazelton
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi,
I'm Jean, a lawyer/MFA in Creative Writing student and the signed first edition of the book caught my eye in Bookhampton. I've enjoyed Bel Canto and wanted to read another book by Patchett.
Contributor
MWarren
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and let us know what attracted you to this book. Have you read other books by Patchett?

Hi I am Maryfrances. Thought the book sounded interesting
Reader
Diaforr
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Diane. I recently moved to a new community in Florida where we don't yet have enough residents to have a book club so I am looking forward to participating in the discussion with all of you. I loved reading Bel Canto and am looking forward to reading Run.

Diane
New User
scourson2
0 Kudos

Hi--

I'm Sandy, and I finished the book this week. We read it for our Book Club, which meets in about two weeks. I really enjoyed it.
New User
agnes-shap
0 Kudos

Hi My name is Agnes and I am halfway into this book and love it. Read it every possible moment I get. This is the first book I read by Patchett and looking into getting her previous book, Bel Canto. I am an avid reader and just came across her book by accident in another book club and bought it - so glad I did.
New User
gypsywind82
0 Kudos

I enjoyed Bel Canto and so wanted to read this book when it was released. I absoluted loved this one and so am pleased there is a place to discuss it! I couldn't put it down!
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hello, I go by IBIS which are my initials. I live in the Boston area, so the setting for RUN has personal meaning for me. It's always fun to recognize the landmarks and street signs in the novel.

I've read most (if not all) of Anne Patchet's books; I hadn't realized that until I read the list of her other books. There is something about her style of writing that appeals to me.

I'm a violinist with the BSO, so music orchestrates everything I do... especially the cadence and rhythm of well-written books. There is music in Ann Patchett's writing; that may be what attracts me to her books.

Am looking forward to sharing your insights into RUN.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
New User
lit-chick-mel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My name is Melanie and I am a stay at home mom to 3 boys. I also make scrapbooks, love to bake, and maintain my blog.

Ann Patchett is one of my favorite authors. I was first introduced to her through Bel Canto, then read The Patron Saint of Liars and Truth & Beauty. Run was the first book I preordered and I am excited to have found this group to discuss it with.

IBIS - I have a friend who is also a violinist with the BSO (Baltimore Symphony Orchestra).

Message Edited by lit-chick-mel on 12-31-2007 07:57 PM
New User
LadySylvia
0 Kudos

Hi
My name is Sylvia and I am adopted and am a fan of Ann Patchett -loved Bel Canto I am really interested to see where this book leads!!!
Reader
Mindy_J
0 Kudos

HI! My name is Mindy. I live in Hutto, Texas, right outside of Austin. This is the first book club that I have ever been involved in. I am excited to read a novel by Ann Patchett. I have never read any of her novels and can't wait to see what her writing style is like. So many of you had said so many great things about her. That is why I chose this read over the other featured titles. I hope that all of you will help me along with the discussion part, because this part is new to me. Thanks for your patience ahead of time!
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie

I belong to the Boston Symphony Orchestra where I've been playing for about 10 years now.

I hadn't realized that the Baltimore also uses the acronym BSO.

Looking forward to chatting and reading your comments on RUN and Ann Patchett's writing.
IBIS
IBIS

New User
agnes-shap
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie
I used to be a stay at home mom to 4 boys and a girls who are all grown up now with children of their own So I work full time now, babysit my grandchldren and read. I also love to scrapbook. I usually read books of Paterson and Kellerman along those lines but needed something different. Run is certainly different for me. Although I found the
best part is that it is about family which is what I am about. So far the only intrigue I find is that fact that Tennessee gives up her children (boys) but keeps the girl? I cant fanthom giving up any of my children but I havent found out the circumstances yet and the fact that she kept tabs on them intrigues me. Hoping to do some heavy reading today because it is raining...talk soon, agnes
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi Agnes,
That's an interesting question you pose about Tennessee. Why did she give up her 2 sons for adoption, but kept her girl, Kenya?

That question will be answered as the story continues. Also remember that there is a big age difference between the boys (who are now 20 and 21) whereas Kenya is only 14.

Maybe in the 6 year difference, Tennessee's quality of life changed? So now she makes difference choices than earlier in her life?

IBIS
IBIS

New User
jfrierson
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

I have never read any of her books and thought this looked interesting. I am previewing as a possible recommendation to my reading group in the SF Bay Area. j
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Followup topics for discussion?

Hi Jessica
I wondered if you were planning to open up any discussion threads for RUN? I've read the book and am looking forward to other readers' thoughts on the book.

Thank you.
IBIS
IBIS

Contributor
Laurabairn
0 Kudos

Hi all,
I am living in snowy northwest CT and working at a local ski area. I am a huge fan of Ann Patchett, having read all her previous books. I was thrilled to hear she was releasing something new so I reserved it at the library(sorry Barnes and Noble) and read it in three days. She has a wonderful way of creating characters and settings that you become totally immersed in. I have only done one other on-line discussion group and look forward to a lively discussion. I only wish we had the author to ask questions this time...I would love to ask her about her creative process.

Laura
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Laurabairn wrote:
Hi all,
I am living in snowy northwest CT and working at a local ski area. I am a huge fan of Ann Patchett, having read all her previous books. I was thrilled to hear she was releasing something new so I reserved it at the library(sorry Barnes and Noble) and read it in three days. She has a wonderful way of creating characters and settings that you become totally immersed in. I have only done one other on-line discussion group and look forward to a lively discussion. I only wish we had the author to ask questions this time...I would love to ask her about her creative process.

Laura

Hi Laura, welcome. I'm glad to meet a fellow Ann Patchett fan. I've read all her books and was eager to read RUN. I agree with your comment that she has a wonderful way of creating characters and settings.

I live in Boston, so reading RUN has a personal interest as well. I recognized all the landmarks and streets that Ann Patchett mentions in the book. I visit the Harvard Science Museum frequently, so I've seen some of the millions of the little fishies that fascinates Tip so much.

Hope to chat with you soon.
IBIS
IBIS

Reader 2
otisimo
0 Kudos

Hi,
My name is Mike. I read Bel Canto a couple of years ago, and found it very engaging and different. Recently I listened to an NPR interview with Patchett where she basically outlined the book and explained why and how she wrote it. This piqued my interest so I eventually picked it up. She is a very thoughtful writer. Look forward to discussing it here.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hoping everyone is enjoying the book - would love to hear more of your thoughts and impressions as you're reading.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 1,038 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: