Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: A Note from Sarah Addison Allen

Lisa,

Good then, you know just what I mean. I also read a lot of teen literature (and here's one for you- I'm in the middle of it and loving it: Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going) also, and you're right, they're feel-good books a lot of the time too. Garden Spells just blew me away though- it is so subtle that it's impossible for me to say just what it is that has my emotions tweaked. Magic! That must be it.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Pat_T
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

"I wish I could pinpoint just what it was about your story that left me feeling so great. I can't even put my finger on what my joy was all about. (One aspect, yes, but I don't want to post a spoiler.) But I actually felt bouncy after your book. And while I was reading, as well. I've read mountains of books, yet this feeling was a completely new sensation for me."

I certainly can relate to feeling so wonderful while reading Garden Spells, and I can think of a few reasons why. One is that the story and characters are so clear, life- affirming and hopeful compared to what is happening in the news and so-called entertainment industry we are exposed to every day. Yet Bascom is not an ideal place. There are bad people and hard situations like anyywhere else, yet they are treated with honesty, sensitivity, gentleness and respect for the readers. In addition there is laugh-out-loud humor, interesting quirky characters, and magic that is not so over-the-top unbelievable that it just might be real :-)

I want to add my voice to others here to thank Sarah Addison Allen for writing such a wonderful book and hope in the future she will continue the story. I see a best selling series here!

Pat
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Thanks Pat, and everyone! I'm so humbled by your good wishes.

Sarah
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Pat,

Excellent points. I know what you mean, and I agree completely. I was never skeptical of the characters, they never seemed anything less than people I could go visit if I would just get in the car. I still feel that way, and I have an urge to know how Evanelle is getting along, and what she's needed to give lately.
Stephanie
lmr
New User
lmr
0 Kudos

Hello Ms. Allen- I just finished Garden Spells. This was a fantastic book - when is the next one coming out - i can't get enough. The characters are fantastic - the magic wonderful. I didn't want it to end, but couldn't wait to see what happened next. I'm one of those people who especially loves reading a series of books with a connecting thread. I hope to read more about the Waverleys in the very near future. I'm looking forward to your next book. Congratulations on a marvelous job!!!!:smileyhappy:
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

lmr wrote:
Hello Ms. Allen- I just finished Garden Spells. This was a fantastic book - when is the next one coming out - i can't get enough. The characters are fantastic - the magic wonderful. I didn't want it to end, but couldn't wait to see what happened next. I'm one of those people who especially loves reading a series of books with a connecting thread. I hope to read more about the Waverleys in the very near future. I'm looking forward to your next book. Congratulations on a marvelous job!!!!:smileyhappy:

Thanks so much! My next book, The Sugar Queen, will be out next summer. It's a non-Bascom story but, like Garden Spells, full of magic, food and love...

Sarah
Contributor
erinmarks
0 Kudos

I have to say that this is my first experience with an online book club. I wasn't jumping at the bit to start into any of the choices, since none of them are the typical books I read, but hey...isn't that the point of a book club, to be exposed to works outside of your own interests? "Garden Spells" seemed like the shortest, cheapest of the the options, so I hate to say it, but those were the reasons I picked it. I wasn't really sold on it at first, and just thought of it as a "light and fluffy" sort of book. But somewhere in the middle, when I realized that I spent 3 hours sitting and reading and had no intention of putting it down, I realized that it is a great book!! Perfect for the end of summer, with lots of happy thoughts to carry the reader over into the cold months. So Kudos to you, Sarah, and I am so sorry that I wanted to write your work off so easily at first. Now, I too, cannot wait to read another story about this family!
Reader
cole3699
0 Kudos

Oh my goodness!

I have told everyone about this book. I have a line of friends that are fighting over how gets to read it next. I NEVER buy the book club books or even really read my B&N newsletters, but I did this month...thankfully!

This book was a breath of fresh air that I needed. I could smell the garden and I loved the way Sarah Addison Allen put her sentences together. I found myself reading them outloud to my husband more than once.

Finally a book that you can't put down from a fresh new author. I do hope there will be more about Claire and Sydney...
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

Hi Sarah,

I just wanted to say thank you for writing such a wonderful story. I really enjoyed reading Garden Spells and didn't want it to end. It was very different than what I usually pick up to read. I, too, would like to see a series to this book. I want to see what happens to Claire and Tyler and the new baby. Would she name it a type of herb or flower name? My daughter-n-law's sister is looking at naming her little girl Clover. I would also like to see the story continue with Sydney, Henry and Bay. It was a true feel-good book and I loved the fact that we could speak with you directly. I look forward to your next book! Keep on keepin on! Butterfly Girl
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Thank you, everyone, for taking a chance on Garden Spells and the bookclub! I'm finally back from touring some B&N's around North Carolina. I'm going to try to catch up on the threads here now. Thanks for all the posts while I was gone!

Sarah
New User
neisier
0 Kudos

Sarah,

I purchased your book several weeks ago and had put it in my "To Read" pile. It had gotten good reviews and as an avid gardener, especially of herbs, the subject matter was appealing.I went on a planned vacation to Asheville/Biltmore last week and grabbed "Garden Spells" to take along as it was on top. Must be kismet to actually be in Ashville while reading your book! I read it the first night and was totally charmed. Your writing style is very lyrical and melodious and such a joy to read. To be able to walk the gardens of Biltmore the next day was an extra blessing. Your words were running through my head as I enjoyed the flowers and plants.
When I was little, my English born grandmother used to make tussie-mussies and taught me about the language of flowers. "Garden Spells" brought back many wonderful memories while giving me new ones to cherish. Although my children still think I am kidding when I talk about eating nasturtiums !
I was in my local B & N on Friday and was happy to be able to recommend your book to several women. I assured them they would be captivated.
I look forward to reading your next book. You now have a place on my favorite authors' bookcase.
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

neisier wrote:
I went on a planned vacation to Asheville/Biltmore last week and grabbed "Garden Spells" to take along as it was on top. Must be kismet to actually be in Ashville while reading your book!...To be able to walk the gardens of Biltmore the next day was an extra blessing. Your words were running through my head as I enjoyed the flowers and plants

How magical! I'm glad you shared that...

Sarah
New User
Jani0124
0 Kudos

Sarah,
I love the book Garden Spells. I'm only 2/3 through it and I dread the ending. I don't want these people(quirks and all) to leave my life yet. Please condsider a series. There is a town rich with interesting characters. Some need help and guidance. While others may need their comuppance (Can anybody say Ariel). Regardless, if it is part a a Waverley series or not, I look forward to your next book.

Thank you for hours of pleasure,
Jani
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Jani0124 wrote:
Thank you for hours of pleasure,
Jani

Thank you, Jani! And everyone, it's been a genuine pleasure meeting you all.

Sarah
Frequent Contributor
LibraryBoom1218
0 Kudos

Hi Sarah and everyone! I am looking forward to reading this book soo much!!! i just ordered a copy in from another library for me to read and it should be here any day now!! i am sooo excited!! i cant wait to discuss this book.. it will be fun!
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

LibraryBoom1218 wrote:
Hi Sarah and everyone! I am looking forward to reading this book soo much!!! i just ordered a copy in from another library for me to read and it should be here any day now!! i am sooo excited!! i cant wait to discuss this book.. it will be fun!

Hi,

I'm sorry to tell you that the bulk of this discussion is over, though you may find a few conversational stragglers like me for the next few days. But you'll still be able to read the discussions as you read the novel. I think all of us really liked it, so I'm sure you will too!

Best,
Susan
Please welcome our newest community members: