Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

A Note from Sarah Addison Allen

Dear Readers,

When I wrote Garden Spells, I decided to write the book I wanted to read, not necessarily the book that would most likely get published. It was a huge leap of faith for me. I picked ingredients from all my favorite genres: a pinch romance, a sprinkle of women's fiction, a drop of fantasy, a spoonful of Southern fiction, a dollop of foodie lit, and some zest of magical realism. I put them all together in a bowl, and stirred.

As much as I love food, I'm not much of a cook, so I had no idea what was going to happen. Let's not even get into the time I thought lettuce and cabbage were interchangeable. But in this case, all the ingredients blended well and what I ended up with was a heapin' helping of saucy southern-fried magic.

It just goes to show you, when you cook, when you write, even when you fall in love -- if you take a chance, you can get the most wonderful, delicious results.
New User
KS_Dronenburg
0 Kudos

Re: A Note from Sarah Addison Allen

Hi, Sarah! I was able to read Garden Spells before it came out.. my daughter works at a bookstore and snagged a preview copy. I totally loved it and I hope to see more of the Waverly family soon. The approach is unique for the Fantasy genre, which is refreshing.
Best wishes for future endeavors and thanks for a wonderful book.
New User
goddess91423
0 Kudos

Good Morning,
I just got the information on your book. I am getting it today. This book is so up my alley. I can't wait to read it and reply.
I am a cook and create with that mindset of what energy am I putting into my food, cook with color, cook with love. but then again I do that with every part of my life. I love living with the magical mind. And of course GOD.

Thank you for bringing the magic to the pages.

Goddess91423
New User
pammacc
0 Kudos

I just bought your book this afternoon and spent the evening reading it. I couldn't put it down and wished it was 4 times as long! You have created a magical combination of Southern, romance, whimsy & magic and wonderful characters. I can't wait until your next book and will just have to re-read this one until then. I will enjoy the second reading even more as I won't be rushing through it to see what happens next! I will savor your character development and the wonderful descriptions. Bravo!!
New User
cc1158
0 Kudos

Sarah

Got an early proof at the RWA in Dallas this summer and loved the book. As you say it has a little of everything. Hope you consider writing some more stories about this wonderful garden and the family who tends it.
Contributor
armympprincess
0 Kudos

When I got the e-mail from Barnes & Noble about the new line up of books out this month I was drawn to the description of your book. So drawn in fact that I made my hubby get up from the baseball game he was watching to take a quick trip down to our nearest Barnes & Noble to get it. I can't wait to curl up with it and find out more about the Waverley Legacy.
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Sarah,

I read it today--start to finish. A very enjoyable debut!
Susan
0 Kudos

Hi Sarah,
I just spent the last 3 hours reading "Garden Secrets" from beginning to end. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful book with us. I could not put it down, and have taken these characters right into my heart. I have plans to sit and read again slower to savor the story again as well as sending a few emails out to some good friends that need to read and enjoy this book. I am really looking forward to your future books and the discussions here about "Garden Secrets". You are truly a gifted writer....and again thank you.
Lisa :smileyhappy:
New User
worldbook1
0 Kudos

Hi, Sarah,
I read your interview, and when I saw that one of your favorite books is The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes, I was hooked. That is one of my favorites, too! In fact, I teach 12th grade English, and I use it as a springboard for my seniors to get them inspired to write something from their childhood. I can see a bit of the independent, tenacious spunk of the country bunny in Claire!
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

Greetings from North Carolina where I think the heat wave has *finally* broken. All my outside cats have done for the past few weeks is move from lying on top of the lounge chair on the deck in the mornings, to under it in the afternoons, then back on top at night.

Thank you all for reading Garden Spells, and for your wonderful words about it. I'll be here all month, checking in on all the threads, so if you have a question, please ask!

And worldbook1, yes, The Country Bunny is a superbunny, a heroine for the ages!

Sarah
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

suetu wrote:
Sarah,

I read it today--start to finish. A very enjoyable debut!

Susan,

Good to see you again! I read Garden Spells in one day also- I just couldn't stop reading. When I finished, I was in a terrific mood!

Group: Did any of you feel the same way? Did you find this to be a "feel good" book also?
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sarah,

I know just what you mean about the heat- it's positively sticky here in Florida.

Mind, I'm not complaining! I'd rather be anything than cold.

What a wonderful story. I especially want you to know how wonderful I felt during and after reading Garden Spells. It made me inexplicably happy. Will you (I'm hoping) be writing about these same characters again in the future?
Stephanie
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Sarah,

I know just what you mean about the heat- it's positively sticky here in Florida.

Mind, I'm not complaining! I'd rather be anything than cold.

What a wonderful story. I especially want you to know how wonderful I felt during and after reading Garden Spells. It made me inexplicably happy. Will you (I'm hoping) be writing about these same characters again in the future?

Hi Stephanie! Thank you. My favorite books are the ones you can't stop smiling about for minutes, days, after you read them. I'm a sucker for a feel-good story.

My second book is already written and due out next summer. It's a non-Bascom story, but it has many of the elements -- the magic, the food, the romance -- that Garden Spells embraces. I'm not ruling out another Bascom story. In fact, I know exactly who Bay, in her future, is going to marry...

Sarah
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sarah,

I must be a cat- the curiosity is killing me! Have we met Bay's future husband?

I wish I could pinpoint just what it was about your story that left me feeling so great. I can't even put my finger on what my joy was all about. (One aspect, yes, but I don't want to post a spoiler.) But I actually felt bouncy after your book. And while I was reading, as well. I've read mountains of books, yet this feeling was a completely new sensation for me.

I'd love to hear from others who felt similarly.
Stephanie
Reader
MrsG
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

I wish I could pinpoint just what it was about your story that left me feeling so great. I can't even put my finger on what my joy was all about. (One aspect, yes, but I don't want to post a spoiler.) But I actually felt bouncy after your book. And while I was reading, as well. I've read mountains of books, yet this feeling was a completely new sensation for me.

Stephanie,
I know what you mean. It's been a few days since I read the book and it is still floating around in my head. It just made me feel good...and wrapped me up completely in the story. I have enjoyed books before and will again and even gotten really involved in them, and have read plenty, and had ones I adored, but this book has me all in an emotional uproar. It's gotten in my head and in my heart and under my skin. Sarah is without a doubt one of the best authors I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I have a tendancy to read more young adult lit. authors because those are the ones I get closest to what this book has made me feel. Few adult lit. books have ever made me feel like a electrified melted tootsie roll LOL!! This one did. How's that for a picture? LOL!
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Sarah,

I must be a cat- the curiosity is killing me! Have we met Bay's future husband?

Hi Stephanie,

Yes, it's good to see you again too. I discovered the clubs through Jimbo last month, but I'm participating in two more this month and have two of next months books on my shelves already, so I expect we'll continue to run into each other. :smileyhappy:

As for your question above, there is only one character we've met that could possibly be Bay's future husband--the little boy Dakota who was mentioned briefly. It would be sort of like Sydney and Henry who hooked up all those years later.
Susan
0 Kudos

MrsG wrote:
made me feel like a electrified melted tootsie roll LOL!! This one did. How's that for a picture? LOL!

LOL! I love that.

Sarah
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

suetu wrote:
As for your question above, there is only one character we've met that could possibly be Bay's future husband--the little boy Dakota who was mentioned briefly. It would be sort of like Sydney and Henry who hooked up all those years later.

"Good guess," Sarah said, artfully avoiding the issue of whether or not the guess was correct.

Meanwhile, back in Mudville...

:-)

Sarah
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Sarah,

I must be a cat- the curiosity is killing me! Have we met Bay's future husband

There's a mention in the book, yes!

Sarah
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Susan,

I'm so glad you're enjoying the book clubs. It is a nice place on the 'net, isn't it? Great books to discuss, lots of nice people, and a direct conversation with an author! I know I love it!
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 764 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: