Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Beginning Chapters Discussion: Magical Flowers

Could you be persuaded that certain plants have powers, as Claire describes and uses them? If you believed you possessed the magical powers that Claire has inherited, how would you use them? What’s the first thing you would do?

This thread is appropriate for those who have read through Chapter 5. Please be mindful about posting spoilers for material in later chapters.
Stephanie
New User
Prczech
0 Kudos

Re: Beginning Chapters Discussion: Magical Flowers

I think that I could be persuaded that certain plants have magical powers as Claire describes and uses them. I say this in the context of fanasty and it's quite fun to think that they could be used for this purpose. It's sort of related to the idea of esp, how events and situations can be anticipated and managed. I'm not sure I totally believe in this but sometiomes things happen that really have no logical reason as to why they happened.

I would probably use the magical powers to help those in need. I would hope that they could be managed to help others. I would hate to have magical powers that are preceded by doom and end in doom.

prczech
Contributor
armympprincess
0 Kudos

I've always felt nature has had a powerful effect on life. At least mine. I myself have never eaten flowers although I have heard of it and wouldn't mind trying something new. As far as if I had Claire's magical gift, well I would probably use it in the same way Claire uses hers. So far Claire's magic seems harmless and although I don't know how long the effects of her magical dishes last I would say all they really do is bring back memories. Memories bring back feelings and feelings cause people to react in ways they either regret or cause them to want to relive. I'm not sure what my first task would be for my new found talent if I had it, but I would keep it a secret (that's obvious) and I would also try to only use my talent in a positive way no matter how I felt towards the person or the situation. Power just isn't that exciting if it's abused.
Contributor
Murray
0 Kudos

Yes, I like to think that certain plants have magical powers. We don't know all there is to know about the vast and powerful universe that surrounds us; nor do we know all about the wonders of nature. If I had magical plants, I think I would grow them mainly for thier beauty and to atract butterfles Then I would watch and experience the serenity of it all

murray
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

You call it magic, I call it science. A lot of plants have some pretty amazing properties, and that's about as far as I'm inclined to go down that path.

But aside from my lack of magic, I do love flowers. My whole life, I have. My parents have all these photos of me as a little girl sitting amongst the flowers. Aside from their beauty, I was really intrigued with all the ways you found for Claire to use them in her cooking. There were some unusual recipes mentioned. Do any of those recipes exist, Sarah? And if so, could you share a couple?
Susan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

suetu wrote:
You call it magic, I call it science. A lot of plants have some pretty amazing properties, and that's about as far as I'm inclined to go down that path.

But aside from my lack of magic, I do love flowers. My whole life, I have. My parents have all these photos of me as a little girl sitting amongst the flowers. Aside from their beauty, I was really intrigued with all the ways you found for Claire to use them in her cooking. There were some unusual recipes mentioned. Do any of those recipes exist, Sarah? And if so, could you share a couple?

Funny you should mention the science of flowers, Susan. I researched old medicinal uses for flowers and used that as a starting point for the magical properties I gave them in Garden Spells. For example bachelor buttons (or cornflowers) were the main ingredient in an old French wash called Eau de Casselunettes. So I took that medicinal use, and made the magical use have something to do with the eyes. Bachelor buttons in the book help people see sharper, "helpful for finding things like misplaced keys and hidden agendas."

Moderator Stephanie, could a new thread be created for recipes? It's a great idea, Susan. I'll go through my Garden Spells research and find some of the recipes I discovered. I know there's one for rose petal scones...

Sarah

Message Edited by Sarah_Addison_Allen on 09-05-2007 05:39 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sarah,

Excellent idea - I would like to see those recipes too! I might have to get into the kitchen.
Stephanie
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

Yes, I think I could be pursuaded to believe that certain plants have powers - to some extent. In earlier times, ancient civilizations used various plants and flowers for healing purposes. Aloe Vera is still used for healing. There is aromatherapy. The two flowers that I think could possibly have magical powers are roses and honeysuckle. Hey, remember the movie "Love Potion #9!" If I thought I had magical powers like Claire, I would find the combination to promote love and peace in the world. My first order of business - using the magical plants to help the needy children and animals in the world.
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

butterflygirl wrote:
Hey, remember the movie "Love Potion #9!"

Yes! Fun movie...

Sarah
Contributor
Eve_Morrigan
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Could you be persuaded that certain plants have powers, as Claire describes and uses them? If you believed you possessed the magical powers that Claire has inherited, how would you use them? What’s the first thing you would do?

This thread is appropriate for those who have read through Chapter 5. Please be mindful about posting spoilers for material in later chapters.

I most definitely can say that plants have powers. The power to heal, harm, relax, charm, protect, the list goes on. I'm Wiccan and an Aroma/Massage therapist, so in many cases they have magical uses and healing uses for me, and I've had great results in both. For example Lavender essential oil can be used directly on a cut and it will heal faster than using a drugstore ointment. It is one of very few oils that can be used without diluting it. Lavender is wonderful for relaxing, take a bath with it or drink it as a tea.

I would use my powers to help others and better myself as a person. Much like I do now. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
erinmarks
0 Kudos

While I am not sold 100% to the idea that plants and flowers are as potent in real life as they are in clair's garden, I am a believer in the concept of it all. As someone pointed out earlier, we only need to look to aromatherapy to see the evidence. I could see food cooked with appropriate plants lending themselves to a particular mood, but I don't see them being the only reason a person would think or act a certain way...more inspiration than influence.
How would I use such a gift? To entertain my friends and family, and only in the best ways, but I would probably keep the talent to myself. Maybe not though, I am horrible at keeping surprises!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Erin,

After reading your reply, I think I might use Claire's gift on myself- how could I use the gift ... make myself better? Nicer? More empathetic? The possibilities!
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

I definately believe that plants have certain powers, after all why do men give women red roses??? and as already mentioned the healing and relaxing properties. I have heard of people eating flowers, and more and likely they would produce certain chemical reactions in the body to cause happiness, sadness, distrustfulness, ect.

I am not sure what I would do, I know one thing would be is to keep me calmer and not get as angry. I would want to help people as that is part of my profession and where my heart lies.
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Garden Spells just came out in a Reader's Digest condensed version, and Reader's Digest gave an interesting afterward about Mood Food:

"In Garden Spells, Claire Waverley tries to control people's moods with her culinary creations. Pure fantasy, of course. Or is it? Scientists say that some foods do control our attitudes. For instance, the B vitamins in spinach combat sadness...the boron in avocados and broccoli keeps you alert..."

And more about turkey and fish oil and chocolate. Interesting stuff.

Sarah
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sarah,

We've heard of comfort food all our lives, but Mood Food? I love it! Sometimes I think we are in the "mood" for what we need. I love ravioli, and was going to make it the other night, but I was really in the mood for fresh vegetables and fruit - cold, colorful, "light" food. Perked me right up.
Stephanie
Contributor
Eve_Morrigan
0 Kudos

Stephanie

Color might have been what you needed, the food was just the way of getting it. A great way too. Look into some books on color therapy, very interesting stuff. I practice it myself, makes a big difference. :smileywink:
Contributor
Eve_Morrigan
0 Kudos

Sarah_Addison_Allen wrote:
Garden Spells just came out in a Reader's Digest condensed version, and Reader's Digest gave an interesting afterward about Mood Food:

"In Garden Spells, Claire Waverley tries to control people's moods with her culinary creations. Pure fantasy, of course. Or is it? Scientists say that some foods do control our attitudes. For instance, the B vitamins in spinach combat sadness...the boron in avocados and broccoli keeps you alert..."

And more about turkey and fish oil and chocolate. Interesting stuff.

Sarah

Great Stuff! Thanks Sarah.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Eve,

I am all about color- I really want to paint my living room, and since it's a small room I think I need a light color (I also have dark furniture) and I want to find out what colors are most cheering- the room is L shaped and we've split it up a bit, so I'm thinking of two colors... but I have to research a bit to decide. And then, figure out how to talk the husband into doing the work! Paint fumes are really rough on me.

I like colorful food - nothing makes my daughter and me happier than those expensive red, yellow and orange peppers, and yellow squash with zucchini.
Stephanie
New User
Jani0124
0 Kudos

I have no problem whatsoever believing that certain flowers and herbs have medicinal and magical (mood enhancing or altering) effects. That is proven science. I do however have a little trouble buying this apple tree business, but I'd like to believe it. Don't we all need a little magic in our lives?
Jani
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 172 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: