Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

End Chapters Discussion: Who you are

Fred observes, “You are who you are, whether you like it or not, so why not like it?” How does this statement relate to the different characters in the book?

This thread is appropriate for those who have finished reading the novel. Please be forewarned- there will be spoilers in this section.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

Re: End Chapters Discussion: Who you are

Each character has taken steps to become happy with who they are. Claire talent lies in bringing out feeling in her cooking with her plants, so she caters parties. Bay coming from an abusive relationship needed to know where she belongs and just knows where things belonged. Sydney tried to run from who she was and actually didn't realize what her "gift" was until she was told by Claire, but it was there all along and she enjoyed cutting people's hair and was happiest. I think Evanelle just learned to accept that she just had to give people something, it seemed to intrigue her but at the same time drive her crazy because she wanted to know why she had to give them the gift.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I still want a friend with Sydney's gift. I lament my hair constantly.

I think Why not like who you are is the greatest question- It has taken me a long time to get comfortable with me, and I do like who I am, but for a long time, it was something I fought- always wanting to be something different, or something more. Unsettling.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Pat_T
0 Kudos

I think this statement applies to most of the characters. I was intrigued that Tyler has no problems after eating one of the apples. Maybe its because he is so comfortable with himself and even as a newcomer feels right at home in Bascom. The story shows how Claire, Sydney and Bay help each other to learn how to accept and value their differences as unique gifts to be cherished.
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 724 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: