Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

First Impressions

As you read the opening chapter of Garden Spells what images are conjured? Are there particular times when your childhood visits you in dreams?
Stephanie
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

I see a quaint little town, with beautiful scenary and a beautiful old victorian home with beautiful landscaping. I picture it as a beautiful place to live. I don't ever have dreams of my childhood, however, sometimes things, places or events now bring back special memories.
Contributor
armympprincess
0 Kudos

In the first chapter, Claire remembers her childhood in her dreams, which lead to some painful memories during her days. She dreamt about her sister getting all the attention from her mother and how before her sister came along her mother tried to make a comfortable life for Claire by begging, stealing or borrowing to support her. But it seems as if Claire envied the way her mom sort of reformed for her sister once she was born. How life on the road suddenly became the past and her mother made a more stable life for her sister by settling down in one place. How even though they were starting fresh in a new place the feelings of being second best that Claire was feeling never did go away and her sister still seemed to get all of the attention. Not just from their mother but from the townspeople as well.
I never have had a dream about my childhood while sleeping. I have had times where I'll be out and about and a memory will come to me in a daydream. Places, events,people, sometimes good, sometimes bad. At times I wish I could go back to some of my events in my past and do them over for one reason or another. I still live in the same town I grew up in, just as Claire does, it's comfortable, yet I still wonder sometimes is there life beyond it.
Contributor
Eve_Morrigan
0 Kudos

My first impression is had to sum up in words. I just get the wonderful warm feeling from the first chapter. I love the garden the house, Claire & Evanelle, the Apple Tree with an attitude. You really get hooked on to the characters right away. Sarah paints a wonderful picture in my head. It reminds me a little of my Nana's house in VA.
New User
smokeytimber
0 Kudos

The first chapter has a way of drawing you in. I'm interested to find out the family history, what's going on with the garden and how it came to be, and who is this guy next door?! The slight magical element adds a nice touch and intrigue to the novel. It's easy to imagine yourself as a "townie".

I used to have a hard time remembering things that happened during childhood, but lately it's been easier. Certain smells and sounds can bring back a memory, but I don't believe I have ever had a dream about childhood that I can remember.

Ronda
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

smokeytimber wrote:
The first chapter has a way of drawing you in. I'm interested to find out the family history, what's going on with the garden and how it came to be, and who is this guy next door?! The slight magical element adds a nice touch and intrigue to the novel. It's easy to imagine yourself as a "townie."

I'm enjoying everyone's first impressions. It's taking me back to when I was writing the book...

Sarah
New User
E-Bennet
0 Kudos

My first impression is that Allen is right-on psychologically. As a child myself with an unpredictable mother, I feel that Claire is a real person. Her longing for security and stability mirrors my own. So, from the beginning, I'm drawn in and enchanted. It's characters are true and that makes the magic so much more enjoyable - it makes you almost expect magic when you put the book down. Looking forward to every paragraph. :smileyhappy:
Reader 2
secretnerd
0 Kudos

I was a little bored with the book in the beginning and I thought it was a bit slow. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to finish it but since everyone thought it was such a good book I gave my all and in the end, I actually liked the book.
Users Online
Currently online: 21 members 563 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: