Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Garden Recipes

Sarah requested this thread to post some of the recipes she researched for the novel.

Perhaps we can all post some old family recipes that might have a value outside taste or nutrition.
Stephanie
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Re: Garden Recipes

Stephanie wrote:
Perhaps we can all post some old family recipes that might have a value outside taste or nutrition.

Great idea!

In my real life, I'm a self-proclaimed terror when it comes to cooking, but I love just READING about food!

Sarah
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Rose Petal Scones

ROSE PETAL SCONES
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
4 Tbs unsalted butter
1/3 cup unsalted coarsely ground pistachio nuts
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbs rose water
2 Tbs edible rose petals - finely shredded

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine and sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and cinnamon.

Cut in the butter and mix until crumbly.

Stir in the pistachios.

In a separate bowl, combine the cream and the rose water. Stir in the shredded rose petals.

Add the cream-rose mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until a soft dough forms.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Rose Petal Scones

Sarah,

And this will make the eater... ?

Already I can't remember what roses do. And I've left my book in the bedroom where husband is sleeping.
Stephanie
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Sarah,

And this will make the eater... ?

...see love, feel love.

Claire served rose petal scones at the party at the Matteson mansion when Emma's mother wanted everyone to see Emma and Hunter John as madly in love.

Sarah
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing, Sarah! What an unusual recipe. I'm a fairly accomplished baker, and think I will definitely have to bake up a batch as soon as I can acquire the rose petals and find the time.

Here in San Francisco, we have an Indian ice cream parlor on Valencia Street. There are some mighty unusual flavors of ice cream there. One day I tried the bright pink rose ice cream. It tasted distinctly of roses and was surprisingly delicious. (It brought no romance to my life, alas. :smileywink: )
Susan
0 Kudos

Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

STUFFED PORK TENDERLOIN

nasturtium -- promotes appetite in men, makes women secretive...

1 pork tenderloin, 1 to 2 pounds
2 ounces goat cheese
1-1/2 tablespoons of nasturtium blossoms, chopped
1-1/2 tablespoons chive blossoms, chopped
1 sprig rosemary
salt and pepper, fresh ground
olive oil

Split the tenderloin lengthwise down the middle, cutting about 2/3 of the way through. Lay open. Evenly spread a layer of goat cheese down the center of the tenderloin. Evenly sprinkle 1 tablespoon of nasturtium and chive blossoms and a single row of rosemary foliage down the center of the tenderloin. Using kitchen twine, close the tenderloin back up and tie it together. Brush the outside of the meat lightly with olive oil, then roll it in fresh ground salt and pepper and the remaining blossoms and rosemary foliage. Place into an ungreased cooking pan and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until a meat thermometer reaches 140 degrees.
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

suetu wrote:
Here in San Francisco, we have an Indian ice cream parlor on Valencia Street. There are some mighty unusual flavors of ice cream there. One day I tried the bright pink rose ice cream. It tasted distinctly of roses and was surprisingly delicious. (It brought no romance to my life, alas. :smileywink: )

But, oh, it sounds lovely!

I once had lemon balm sorbet. Wonderful.

Sarah
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Come to think of it, another flavor if ice crean I had there was saffron--which comes from crocuses, of course. That's a flowery thing that we all commonly cook with.
Susan
0 Kudos

Hi Sarah,

I was just thinking about how I'd Love to have some of the recipes that Claire has cooked up, and here is the thread already up! I love to cook and I look forward to trying these recipes out. Please if you have any more post them.

Thanks very much,
Shara
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Eve_Morrigan wrote:
Hi Sarah,

I was just thinking about how I'd Love to have some of the recipes that Claire has cooked up, and here is the thread already up! I love to cook and I look forward to trying these recipes out. Please if you have any more post them.

Thanks very much,
Shara

Oh, how I envy your and Susan's culinary skills. Sigh...

Up in the next post, lavender bread!

Sarah
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Lavender Bread

LAVENDER BREAD

lavender -- raises spirits and prevents bad decisions resulting from fatigue or depression...

3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons finely chopped culinary lavender
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat the oven to 325. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Combine the milk and lavender in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat to a simmer, then remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg until the mixture is light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk and lavender until just blended. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a wooden pick inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Re: Lavender Bread

Sarah,

I just wanted to thank you again for taking the time and making the effort to share the recipes. I'm really enjoying reading them! This is like DVD extras for the book! I think I'll have to print them out and save them in my copy of Garden Spells. :smileyhappy:
Susan
0 Kudos

Where does one purchase edible flowers? These recipes seem intriguing, but I don't know if the ingredients are available everywhere.
Contributor
Eve_Morrigan
0 Kudos

Sarah

Yes! Thank you again. I love Lavender... :smileyhappy:
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

worldbook1 wrote:
Where does one purchase edible flowers? These recipes seem intriguing, but I don't know if the ingredients are available everywhere.

You could try your local organic market. And some of the ingredients can be found online. I know rose water and culinary lavender are avaliabe on Amazon. And Sur La Table offers crystallized edible flowers for cake and cupcake decorations.

Up next, dandelion quiche!

Sarah

Message Edited by Sarah_Addison_Allen on 09-12-2007 09:37 PM
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Dandelion Quiche

DANDELION QUICHE

dandelion -- a stimulant encouraging faithfulness...

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease a 9" pie tin or baking dish. Coat with bread crumbs.

Fill with alternating layers of:

Dandelion greens, precooked until tender
Cheddar cheese, grated
Bacon, cooked till crisp and crumbled (optional)
Onion, diced and sauteed till translucent

Beat together:

3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup cream or half and half
3 large eggs
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt

Pour over other ingredients. Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly to set.
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Re: Lavender Bread

suetu wrote:
This is like DVD extras for the book br>

LOL! I love that...

Sarah
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

Sarah, this is so nice of you to take the time to give us some of your recipes. I think it is a good idea (as one reader suggested) to print them out and keep them with the book. Maybe for our children or grandchildren to read later on. My daughter-n-law loves to cook and experiment in the kitchen. Maybe I can have her whip up one of the recipes. Thanks again! Oh, I am loving Garden Spells. What an enchanting story! I can't wait to finish and I look forward to your next novel. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
Eve_Morrigan
0 Kudos

Here is a web site I found that might help for finding some of the herbs.

http://www.sfherb.com/
Users Online
Currently online:42 members 325 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: