Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi Pat,

Welcome! I don't think you'll be disappointed either- different it is, and so much more. I couldn't put it down. Sarah's style is completely captivating.
Stephanie
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

There's just something about a library. I think it's a first love for a lot of us here. Welcome Carol and Pat!

Did I mention how wonderful it was to read everyone's introduction on this thread? What a great group.

Sarah
New User
smokeytimber
0 Kudos

Well, I have never done this before (been apart of any book club, let alone an online book club), but I am excited to join this experience. I've recently joined the 30's club and have miraculously found some free time in which I can engage in some book reading and socializing (and from this sentence you can also conclude I do not have children). After eight years in college and taking a much needed break from "must" read books, I can now enjoy the ones I want to read. I am looking forward to Garden Spells as it caught my attention right away .
New User
Marsie_1
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone, I wanted to join a book club in person, but this is the next best thing.
I am a grandmother with 2 granddaughters and I love to read among other things. This book caught my eye but I am afraid everyone is ahead of me. I am starting it tonight.
Maybe next month I can be on time.
Marsie-NC
New User
BBlume
0 Kudos

Hi,
I just got this book yesterday and was hooked from page one.
(I was reading it while walking my dog :-).
I can't wait to get into it a bit more. What a great idea for a story.
Great idea Sarah!

Barbara

Hope I can find a local book club discussion for this book.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Marsie,

I bet you're finished, or close to finishing this book- Don't worry about being on time, it doesn't matter at all when you get here, as long as you have fun. I'm so glad you joined us.
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Barbara,

Excellent book, isn't it? I think reading it while walking the dog is completely appropriate. :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
lmr
New User
lmr
0 Kudos

Hi - my name is Lisa. This is my my first time in any kind of book club. I read all the time - even on the treadmill at lunch (keeps me going). I like romantic fiction best, especially time travel or something with a supernatural twist.
I received a coupon for garden spells online. On my way to a Labor Day picnic at my Mothers, I ran to B&N(my favorite store)to buy it. As I stated to Sarah, it was fantastic. I have, of course, raved about it to anyone who'll listen.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to your first book club! So glad you chose to join us. I'm with you on reading everywhere. I've shared this tidbit before, but I once read a novel while driving through New Mexico. Yes, I was driving. My dog refused to take the wheel. Shhh... don't tell the troopers! (If you've ever been to New Mexico, you know how this is possible... and almost irresistible!)

I'm also telling everyone I know about Garden Spells - I have a particular friend I've recommended it to repeatedly- she could really use a feel-good story in her life.
Stephanie
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Hi Smokeytimber, Marsie (fellow North Carolinian!), Barbara and Lisa! Welcome!

Sarah
Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

This has been a really hectic month, I mean summer...:smileyembarrassed:) so I got here late...I've ordered the book and should get it in the next day or so...I hope the discussions will be left up long enough for me to read them as I read the book, even if I'm too late to contribute much....I'm from NC myself so I'm always ready to meet another great NC author. I am really looking forward to reading this book...must be something in the water here because NC has an abundance of excellent contemporary writers...
Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Contributor
erinmarks
0 Kudos

Hi! I am a grad student in Maryland, studying to be a high school English teacher...soon to start student teaching next week!! Readin has always been a par of my life, but I found myself not readin as much lately, and I wanted to join a book club to motivate me. I wasn't sure of any in-person ones in my area, so a little online research later, and here I am! Any open teaching positions in Asheville? I went there for a week the last two summers and LOVE the place. I think Looking Glass Mountain is my new favorite spot!
Contributor
erinmarks
0 Kudos

I don't know why I ommited all those 'g's after reading, but, well, there you have it. I need to read these things before I post them!
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Hi Erin,

I'm in San Francisco now, but Maryland is my home state. I spent time in Baltimore, Randallstown, Gaithersburg, Bethesda, & Rockville. All my family is still back there, and I return often.

Also, I wanted to give you a tool if you ever want to find a book club in your local area. At this website:

http://www.readerscircle.org/

you can type in your zip code, and it will give you a list of local book groups. If there are none, you can start one on your own and people can find you. I run a book group in SF with 80 registered members, and not only have many members found me through Readers Circle, authors and publishers have, too. :smileyhappy:

Best,
Susan
0 Kudos

I'm Cole from California. I found this book from the newsletter that was sent from B&N...something I NEVER read. I'm a new mom, that was looking for a book to carry me away...and it did!
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I know I am a little late in joining the book club, but I have been looking for it. I found it under the B&N recommends sign at my local B&N and thought it sounded right up my ally, and boy was I right. I can't remember why I was in the store, either just to waste time(which I do while I am waiting to meet people) or looking for something to read.

I am an avid reader and am always on the look out for a good book.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Great to have more new people joining the group- Welcome! Also glad to hear you're recommending Garden Spells to your friends. I am so glad that B&N was able to bring it to your attention.

And now that you've read this excellent book, I'm sure you all will be waiting on the edge of your seats for your B&N newsletter! :smileyvery-happy:
Stephanie
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Hello to the new joiners! I'm so glad you're here. Yes, I think there might be something in the water in NC. We do have our fair share of great authors. Erin, Asheville is a wonderful place to live. So beautiful. And the birthplace of writer Thomas Wolfe.

Apropos of nothing...F. Scott Fitzgerald visited Asheville from time to time in his day, when his wife was here. Once, he was hospitalized for gout and my great-aunt, then a nursing student, met him. She loved to tell the story of how he was in a PRIVATE room with a PRIVATE DUTY NURSE and it was FIVE DOLLARS A DAY. She couldn't get over it. At the time it was an incredible luxury.

Sarah
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sarah,

I knew Fitzgerald was spoiled! :smileyhappy:

How interesting though, to have family that met one of the "classic" authors. I'm not sure I wanted to know he had gout though... :smileyvery-happy:
Stephanie
New User
Jani0124
0 Kudos

Hi, My name is Jani, and I chose the book because it was listed as one of the Barnes and Noble pick. I am about 2/3 of the way through and enjoying it immensly. Jani
Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 577 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: