Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the book club for Garden Spells. Please tell us a bit about yourself and how you came to discover this book.
Stephanie
New User
Monet95
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hey there! This is my first B&N Book Club and I am looking forward to the experience. I have ordered the book but not yet received it. I came across Garden Spells via the Book Club. I was searching current and upcoming discussions. Garden Spells caught my attention as soon as I read the description. Having recently acquired time throughout the day for whatever activities I choose, it seemed like the perfect opportunity, and the perfect book, to fill the hours with something I enjoy doing. Can't wait to get started!
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well, I am very happy, because the fine folks at Random House just sent me a copy of Garden Spells. How lucky you are, Sarah, to have such support from your house. And how lucky I am to have enough ties to the publishing industry to receive these gifts.

In addition to working as a freelance editor, I also work full-time for a graduate school of psychology. I'm 38, an avid reader of fiction, and live in San Francisco with a cat named Weasel. I'm looking forward to reading the novel over the holiday weekend, and will look forward to discussing it with all of you.
Susan
0 Kudos

Howdy ya'll! I'm an elementary school librarian who was browsing around Barnes and Noble today. I came across a side rack with copies of "Garden Secrets" and thought it looked like a great read. There was a sign that listed the website for the book club. I didn't even realize B&N did that...thought it was cool, wanted to experience a book club and here I am. I am always looking for ways to share reading with others so I will be sharing the link to the book clubs with the school staff so those that are interested in this or another book can enjoy it too. I am going to get started with the book right now!!
Lisa :smileyhappy:
New User
AngelsTrumpets
0 Kudos

Hi, The book club in new to me. I am a nurse, grandmother, gardener.........Strange how we categorize ourselves! I found the Garden Spells at the B&N bookstore with a flier for the on line book club. I have wanted to join a club for a long time but not sure where to find one. This issue is resolved.
Garden Spells is a great book. I have read the first chapter 4 times already trying to stretch out the enjoyment of the book. Sarah it is so enchanting it has transported me to a "virtual world" that I can participate in as I read the book.
Contributor
armympprincess
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! I can't wait to read this book and discuss it with you. I love books and for some reason I was drawn to this book, just as all of you were. Right now my life is extremely hectic. To be honest this is the first time I will be able to participate yet I chose to do so while I'm taking an important class that will enable me to work in a higher and higher paid Position at my work. And I know I should be concentrating on that I try to use my weekends to unwind so I figure this book and this book club is the perfect opportunity for that. So please bear with me if you only hear from me during the weekends, during the week I will be so into my studies I will look forward to meeting up with all of you come the weekends. Thank you for the opportunity to share this book and discuss it with you all.

P.S. Can you tell I'm a book club newbie? :smileyhappy:
New User
Prczech
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am about finished reading the book and am ready to discuss it. But I think I may be late because it looks like the discussion is over???

I hope not, it's a very interesting book and one that is hard to put down because life gets in the way!!!

Prczech
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

Hello. I have always wanted to join a book club but I live in a rural area. I came across the B&N bookclub just recently and decided to check it out! It sounded like something I would be interested in joining. Garden Spell sounded like a good end of the summer read and it has already started out to be a very interesting book! I'm already hooked! I can't wait to read on and participate in the discussions with the other readers.
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

Hi! I heard the actual discussion doesn't start until tomorrow, Sept 4. I have just started reading the book so I won't be able to share much right now. I already love the characters, especially Evenelle. She sounds like a hoot! I wonder what kind of gift she would give me. I think this is a book we will want to read slowly and absorb all of the magical gifts that each page has to offer! :smileyhappy:
New User
worldbook1
0 Kudos

Hello, everyone! This is my first online book club, but not my first book club. I belong to a group of about 8 ladies (all over 40) who meet monthly at a local restaurant to eat, chat, and discuss the book we have chosen for the month. Of course, we often to more chatting and eating. We are all high school teachers, so there is always lots to discuss, especially this time of year. We decided last week that Garden Spells would be our book for Setpember. A few months ago we chose The Thirteenth Tale for our book after seeing it featured by Barnes and Nobles, and we loved it. So we thought perhaps B&N would select another winner. And it certainly looks as if it did! I am about half-way through the book, and it is mesmerizing. The combination of fantasy and chick lit works very well. I am eager to see what everyone else thinks, and I know that when my face-to-face book club meets later this month, I will be the most informed!
Contributor
Eve_Morrigan
0 Kudos

HI all,

I'm going to pick up the book today. I look forward to it. I have my own book club that I run with my best girl friends once a week, and this is the pick for our Sep. book. Fitting that it's on-line as well I thought. :smileyhappy: I'm 25 and massage therapist here in CA.

Shara
Contributor
Murray
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have been working on a collection of short stories for a short time. 'At times, I go to B&N site. There I found a coupon for "Garden Spells." Well, I rushed to the store and picked up a copy. I am so glad I did. It was a wonderful experience reading this novel

murray
New User
Idieh
0 Kudos

This book is by one of my best friends! I loved the mix of culinary, botanical and romantic themes. This isn't my usual pick for a book as no one has been murdered, I lean toward the mysteries. But I think it's the unusual magical quality that drew me in and had me interested in the characters and the turns their lives take. I want an Evanelle in my life!! I recommend it to everyone I meet and it isn't just because I'm biased, it's because it's great!
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Welcome everyone! I think it's going to be a rockin' good book club.

Idieh! What a surprise! Good to see you...

Sarah
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone

Great to see so many new faces! I'm sure you'll all get the hang of the B&N Book Club in no time.

The threads are set up so that those who are just beginning to read can participate in the Beginning threads, and avoid those whose chapters cover areas they've not read.

It doesn't matter when you post- post as often as you can, whenever you like. We'll be here all month.

If you have any questions, be sure to ask.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Greetings. I am school librarian, also (I see we have another), for grades 7-12. I head up a book group for staff at my school, and belong to two others. I loved the book.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hi Carol,

Glad to have you here. I loved all my school librarians. :smileyhappy: Mrs. Titus was my first, in elementary school, and she was lovely. She let me come to the library whenever my teachers would allow me, and she let me take out as many books as I wanted. I wished I could have stayed with her in the library all day, every day. I tried!

Do you think you'll be reading Garden Spells in one of your face to face groups?
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

I'm glad you have pleasant library memories, Stephanie. I've heard some odd stories...

I will be recommending Garden Spells to two of the groups, so we'll see. I wrote a review of the book for the Georgia Library Quarterly earlier this week, and it should come out sometime next month. Actually, I ended up reading the book now because I was looking for something by a Southern author for the review. It's nice that this group formed up at the same time; it's so gratifying when things dovetail.

Thanks for the welcome.
Carol
So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
Pat_T
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Pat and I live in southern Arizona. This is my first experience with an online book discussion, although I do belong to several other "in person" book groups. I love to read and was attracted to Garden Spells because I was looking for something new and a bit different from what I usually read. The description on the book jacket really drew me in. The plot and characters sound intriguing; I've already gotten a pretty good start in the book and don't think I'll be disappointed.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Carol,

Libraries are the best places- free books? It just doesn't get any better than that.

There's so much sweet magic to this book, I'm not surprised that it found itself in your hands at just the right moment. Mine too. Something is telling me I needed this book right now.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 764 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: