Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Middle Chapters Discussion: Bay

Do you think a child can have the kind of insight and sensitivity that Bay demonstrates? Could a man have it? If not, why?

This thread is appropriate for those who have read through Chapter 11. Please be mindful of posting spoilers about material in later chapters.
Stephanie
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters Discussion: Bay

I think the child would have to be a very gifted child to be able to know where things belong. It seems like they are too young and experienced to know where things belong, especially things that relate to relationships. I suppose a man could have this insight, too. I don't see why not. However, women do seem to be more sensitive to these things.
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

Oops! I meant "inexperienced!" Sorry!
Frequent Contributor
Pat_T
0 Kudos

I agree that Bay is certainly precocious for a child of 5. However, remembering she comes from a home with such a violently abusive adult as David makes me see her gift as more understandable. I think for any child in that situation, being sensitive to their environment and keeping everything organized and in its place could be a survival instinct as well as an attempt to impose some order on their surroundings. The same would go for sensitivity about relationships. The fact that Bay was so protective of her mother when they left Seattle, and after they arrived in Bascom shows she knew something was wrong and wanted so much to help. Unfortunately, children like Bay are forced to grow up fast. I think a big part of Bay's gift is her mother's love and courage in getting her to a place where they can each feel safe and loved and allow their gifts to thrive.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Pat,

Great point about survival instinct. I think children in abusive situations do learn how to avoid the insanity to some degree. I've seen some grow into their teens and intentionally push those same buttons they learned how to avoid, seeking one final confrontation to have it done with- not sure if that's a good idea or not, I think it has to do with the typical teen need to assert independence. In abusive instances though, it must be so much harder.
I was so glad Sydney was able to get some help to get away. It must seem impossible for some of these women to figure a way out- we all could tune in a bit more- maybe we could be the ones to help someone like Sydney.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Within the tradition of Magic Realism, of which this book is certainly an example, children often do have extra insight, as do men. It does seem as though certain families within Bascom are 'charmed," so to speak.

Carol
So many books, so little time...
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Carol,

Charmed and charming. I liked the back story we got on so many of the families- which is one of the reasons I'm hoping Sarah will continue with these characters in this setting at some time in the future.

I think the idea that everyone ends up where they are and who they are for a reason is part of what's appealing about the residents of Bascom. It's easy to picture and easy to think about how we might fit in there.

Group: Would you like to live in Bascom? What would be the positive and negative aspects for you?
Stephanie
Contributor
erinmarks
0 Kudos

I think a child is more capable of these insights than an adult would be. They are not as jaded as adults, and tend to be able to see true intentions perhaps a little better than adults. Just look in a classroom: If the teacher isn't into a subject, even if they act like they are, the students know...they pick up on those things. They seem to be more alert to small details, but just not in the same way adults are aware and connected. I don't see why a man can't be intuitive, but sometimes....they are just too intuitively inept! But I guess everyone is at times!
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 790 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: