Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Middle Chapters Discussion: Special Gifts

The four Waverley women in this novel (Claire, Sydney, Bay, Evanelle) have special gifts. Which of the four gifts would you like to have yourself? Why?

This thread is appropriate for those who have read through Chapter 11. Please be mindful of posting spoilers about events that occur after Chapter 11.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters Discussion: Special Gifts

I think I would most like to have Bay's gift of knowing where things belong--including myself. I imagine that sort of knowledge would be deeply comforting, as well as practical! And it's also not too flashy either.

Even though I would choose Bay's gift, I have to admit that I found Evanelle's to be the most charming. Her little quirk was one of my favorite parts of the story. :smileyhappy:
Susan
0 Kudos

Susan,

I agree- Evanelle is a charmer. I would love to have any of their gifts- I know I would at least like to meet someone who knew what I should do with my hair! It would be a gift in itself to have a child who put things where they belong, too. :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Contributor
Murray
0 Kudos

I would like to imaggggggine I have the 'special gift' that Evanelle has. It would be wonderful to be able to give people things they need without them knowing they need them. These were simple gifts; like the 'bic lighter,' or the giving Bay the brooch.

murray
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Murray wrote:
I would like to imaggggggine I have the 'special gift' that Evanelle has. It would be wonderful to be able to give people things they need without them knowing they need them. These were simple gifts; like the 'bic lighter,' or the giving Bay the brooch.

murray

Did you know Evanelle was based on a real person with the same name? She was an old woman who liked to show up unexpectedly with gifts of blackberries or broccoli cornbread. No reason. She just liked to share her bounty.

Sarah
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
I know I would at least like to meet someone who knew what I should do with my hair! It would be a gift in itself to have a child who put things where they belong, too. :smileyhappy:

LOL! Ah, yes, the book is about fantasies...

Sarah
Frequent Contributor
Pat_T
0 Kudos

Can I say I would like all the gifts? :-) Actually, this is not an easy question because each gift seems to come with a price and a responsibility. I'm not sure how odd or cut off from others I'd want to be. At first, the gifts don't seem to have brought Claire or Sydney much happiness. Evanelle has accepted her gift but doesn't know how or why the things she gives will be used, and Bay is frustrated when things are not where they belong. For myself, I guess I'd chose Bay's gift because it would be nice to get more order in my life. But really, it seems best when all 4 women work together and support each other. Individually, they didn't seem very happy or effective.
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

My gift would have to be something creative so between Claire and Sydney I would choose Claire's gift of making recipes filled with potions made from something from my garden. I don't particularly like to cook, but I love to garden and I would love to cater parties. Maybe my first recipe would be for myself to make me a better cook! LOL Bay's gift of having to have everything in order would drive me crazy! But I also would like to have Evanelle's gift. It sounds like fun to have a room filled with stuff just waiting to be given to someone and then waiting to see what it's going to be used for! That would be fun, too!
New User
shnello
0 Kudos

Sarah_Addison_Allen wrote:

Murray wrote:

murray

Did you know Evanelle was based on a real person with the same name? She was an old woman who liked to show up unexpectedly with gifts of blackberries or broccoli cornbread. No reason. She just liked to share her bounty.

Sarah

I think there was an old "Twilight Zone" show about someone giving or selling needed items on a city sidewalk. He/she (I can't remember - it was many years ago) gave someone a pair of scissors and the recipient later needed them to cut his/her scarf which was stuck in an elevator door and about to choke the wearer.

Evanelle's gift would be a great one to have.
Contributor
PBuermele
0 Kudos

Being in search of yet another hair stylist with clever fingers, I would love to have Sydney in my favorites. But I don't think I'd want to have her gift for myself. I would choose Claire's gift for making magical recipes as my cooking skills are in as much need of expert help as my hair. It would be fun to try to purposely influence the mood of a meal by the food served.
Paula Buermele
www.thedreamcatchertour.com
Contributor
erinmarks
0 Kudos

I, too, would want the cooking gift! I enjoy cooking and would like to be better at it, and what a way to improve my skills!! I would also agree with what aeveryone else has said where i wish I knew someone who could cut hair like Sydney, but alas...I will have to settle for a very close second best, who I need to see soon!!
New User
Jani0124
0 Kudos

I would like Claire's gift, Sydney's courage, Evanelle's confidence and Bay's wisdom.
Jani

It seems odd I choose the wisdom of one so young, but she has it and she is an old soul.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 640 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: