Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Whole Book Discussion: Favorite Quotes and Passages

There are so many memorable moments in Garden Spells. Post your favorite quotes and scenes here.

Reminder: This section is appropriate for those who have read the entire novel. There will be spoilers posted here, so be forewarned if you haven't finished the book.
Stephanie
New User
fall5021
0 Kudos

Re: Whole Book Discussion: Favorite Quotes and Passages

My two favorite quotes are:

"I used to think they were such silly teenagers, believing THE WORST HURT IN THE WORLD WAS WHEN YOU COULDN'T LET GO OF SOMEONE WHO HAD STOPPED LOVING YOU. They always wanted to know why. Why didn't the boy love them anymore? They said it with such anguish."

"Life is about experience... You cant hold on to everything."
Contributor
Murray
0 Kudos

My favorite scene is the last page. Bay is putting thisng together (she has a knack for that). There is the 'softness' and the "scent of herbs and flowers." Finally she found her "sparkles." It was there all along. Yet, she had to discover it at the right time for her. I Also adore the " The Waverly Kitchen Journal."
Contributor
armympprincess
0 Kudos

I have two favorite quotes so far ( I'm still only at chapter 6.):

"Soon the farmhouse-style kitchen was alive with the steamy warmth and crafty scent that eventually flowed through the house. It welcomed Anna's guests like a kiss on the cheek from their mothers, like coming home."

That quote was very well written it just made me feel warm some how.
And the next one is sad but true:

" Memories, even hard memories, grew soft like peaches as they got older"

Ok, well I'm off to read more and hopefully some more good quotes will jump out at me. :smileyhappy:
Author
Sarah_Addison_Allen
0 Kudos

fall5021 wrote:
"I used to think they were such silly teenagers, believing THE WORST HURT IN THE WORLD WAS WHEN YOU COULDN'T LET GO OF SOMEONE WHO HAD STOPPED LOVING YOU. They always wanted to know why. Why didn't the boy love them anymore? They said it with such anguish."

It's been a while since I wrote Garden Spells, and I actually had to go back and read it to refresh my memory earlier this summer! But I remember constructing this passage. It made me cry while I was writing it.

Sarah
Reader
MrsG
0 Kudos

My all-time favorite quote is "You are who you are, whether you like it or not, so why not like it?" I just adore Evanelle and I have to agree with Fred...she is my hero!
Lisa :smileyhappy:
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

fall5021 wrote:
My two favorite quotes are:

"Life is about experience... You cant hold on to everything."

Do you happen to have those pages marked? I'd love to have the page numbers for those.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Pat_T
0 Kudos

I don't think this is a spoiler, just a wonderful description of Ariel, Emmas's mother (on p. 76): "Like Emma, her hair was blond and her boobs were big. She drove a convertible, wore diamonds with denim, and she never missed a homecoming game. She was so Southern that she cried tears that came straight from the Mississippi, and she always smelled faintly of cottonwood and peaches." In just three sentences we know enough about the character for me to be able to say, "Oh yeah, I know her!"
New User
Monet95
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
This was difficult to narrow down! I finally ended up three scenes and three quotes I felt I had to mention.

Scene 1: Pg. 144, The description of David's cologne in the house. The fans chasing it away, and it pacing. Excellent!!

Scene 2: Pg. 179, The apples spilling onto the floor at the grocery store. Their freedom laughter, and the comparison of the bag boys to tennis ball catchers. Great imagery!!

Scene 3: Pg. 196, The morning Claire wakes up in the garden with Tyler and throws the apple at the three in frustration for it having written "Thank You." LOL!! Priceless.

Quote 1: Pg. 220, "...it was the sort of thing that needed darkness to tell."

Quote 2: Pg. 283, "His only purpose, it seemed, was to come into her mother's life in order to send her home."

Quote 3: Pg. 283, "Bay wanted Henry in their lives in a way she couldn't fully explain. It was like the way you wanted sunshine on Saturdays, or pancakes for breakfast. They just made you feel good."

There is just something very poignant and insightful in these. They really struck me.

Message Edited by Monet95 on 09-16-2007 06:42 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Great scenes, great quotes. I could quote the whole book, I think!
Stephanie
Contributor
butterflygirl
0 Kudos

My favorite quotes were:

"Memories, even hard memories, grew soft like peaches as they got older."

"The next morning dawned bright and sweet, like ribbon candy."

and my most favorite,

"I'll give you one day at a time, Claire. But remember, I'm thousands of days ahead already." How romantic!
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

My favorite scene is when Claire gives the casserole to Tyler and makes him eat it right then and there and finds out that her plan to make him not want her doesn't work.

As far as quotes I just like the book as a whole and can't decide what my favorite is.
Frequent Contributor
Pat_T
0 Kudos

There are too many to mention, but I think my favorite scene is the last page when Bay finally discovers the use of the brooch, the description of her "moving the pin back and forth until suddenly like a Christmas cracker, the light broke through and multicolored sparkles rained down on her face. She could actually feel them, the colors so cool they were warm, like flakes of snow.

Her entire body relaxed and she laughed. She laughed like she hadn't laughed in a long time. ...

What a marvelous image to end the book!
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
That is a great passage, Pat.

I always knew that's where Evanelle's broche would come into play. I wear vintage rhinestones every day, and I look like I have a flock of Tinkerbell's following me all the time. Sparkles everywhere! :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by suetu on 10-01-2007 10:37 AM
Susan
Please welcome our newest community members: