Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Re: Is intention alone enough?

Hi MJ,

I never made it to the playing of music but it was a good day. I worked on my project until 2pm. And then I just ploinked. I had run out of steam and my little break turned out to be the rest of the day until midnight. That was my mistake. I should have gone to bed earlier but that did not happen.
Yesterday was a day in the office. I arrived on time and I left on time. That was a good decision. Came home, did the dishes while marveling at the fabulous invention of daylight. Then dinner tv and to bed early. I did not do my 30 minutes goal but I count it as a win day. Taking care of myself is really goal numero uno, and then a whole lot of nothing and then it is the turn of all the projects.

Caorline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
Bulova
0 Kudos

Re: This Year I Will: Intention

I had to rebuild our life right from the scratch and from this recent experience I think that intention and visualizing different main goals are very important in order to find ways to reach them. The road up the hill wasn't straight and still isn't but making a picture of my intentions lead to a minimum amount the self-confidence I think is necessary to succeed. Sometimes the paths are rather rope bridges and presently these are still the most challenging moments. I hope the book (I only received it yesterday) can be a guide as to this too.
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Re: Intention and Clarity and Serendipity

MJRyan wrote:
Carol--
You ask a very important question. And here's my answer: it depends. What is your deepest intention? Get clear on that and write it down, without worrying about the how. Let's say its to get a meaningful job making X dollars. You then get into action, doing things that you believe will get your closer to your desired result, checking in periodically to see if indeed you're getting closer. If so, great. If not, try something else. At the same time, remain open to it happening a different way than you imagined.

For instance, you might end up with a part-time job doing your heart's desire because of a connection you made here in this book club when you were sure the only way to get it was to answer help wanted ads.

Does this help?
MJ

Yes, M.J. That helps alot. Get as clear as you can at the time and proceed forward from there.

It's interesting, you mentioned about the results happening in a different way than expected. Last month we discussed Scott Peck's The Road Less Traveled. He has a whole chapter on serendipity.
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Bulova wrote:
I had to rebuild our life right from the scratch and from this recent experience I think that intention and visualizing different main goals are very important in order to find ways to reach them. The road up the hill wasn't straight and still isn't but making a picture of my intentions lead to a minimum amount the self-confidence I think is necessary to succeed. Sometimes the paths are rather rope bridges and presently these are still the most challenging moments. I hope the book (I only received it yesterday) can be a guide as to this too.

Hi Bulova,

I love your idea using visualization to help define the intention. I'm going to use that in the search for work.

Isn't it great how we can reach out over so much geography and help each other in our journey! We all come from so many different experiences and paths, and yet we meet here to share what we've learned. I have a favorite t-shirt that says "Life is good." And, that's the truth!!
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Hi MJ,

I see I did not answer your question about the 3 to 15 minutes working up to 30. Congratulations on your 15!
I have used the same technique for exercising, and it worked very well. I did not really want to exercise at all, but I had made the decision to start doing it for my health's sake. I had made the agreement to do it for as long as I could and for as long as I enjoyed it. I had found the right video tape with very light aerobics (perfect for my beginner level at the time) and the uplifting music made it most enjoyable. I did it ever morning 6am and was at 30 minutes in 5 days. One day soon, I hope to resume the habit.

For my current project, I apply the same rule. As long as I can and as long as I can enjoy it but with a bit more pressure. So sometimes I do it even when I do NOT enjoy it as much. The worst is, thinking about it. The more or less acceptable, doing it. And the bliss, hopefully, to cry FINISHED! one day.

While I am at it. I am more pragmatic than strategic. As long as I am doing anything that brings me closer to my goal. Some days are faster, some are slower. And that is fine. My most important intention is WhatEver It Takes, I Must Keep Things In Motion!

Caroline
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
Bulova
0 Kudos

During the time I looked for a job I was offered to attend a course: how to apply for a new job. Which at that time didn't appear as being overwhelmingly much. But what the instructor mainly wanted us to do was visualizing ourselves at the new working place, describing it written and orally and then describing to the class our ideal working place mentioning why we would be qualified doing such a job. It was a wonderful class for me (unfortunately the school was put off this employment program being too expensive as they said). I did find a job and now would like to go on and learn more in order being closer to what I'd wish to have at work. The international B&N courses are a very appreciated first step towards this, a place where meeting familiar and new ideas, feelings and thoughts is possible.
Author
MJRyan
0 Kudos

I love your slogans Caroline. It's great for the brain. The emotional brain loves simple and catchy. That helps it remember!
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Thank you, MJ.

I always try to be my own best motivator. When I first started doing that, I felt rather silly. But silly and successful is better than silly and depressed. (Silly because it would be stupid not to be my own best ally)

Caroline

MJRyan wrote:
I love your slogans Caroline. It's great for the brain. The emotional brain loves simple and catchy. That helps it remember!

~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Being our own best ally!

caroline88 wrote:
Thank you, MJ.

I always try to be my own best motivator. When I first started doing that, I felt rather silly. But silly and successful is better than silly and depressed. (Silly because it would be stupid not to be my own best ally)

Caroline

MJRyan wrote:

Caroline,

I, too, love your phrases and your attitude. Most of us realize that being our own best ally is a "no-brainer." But how many times do we defeat ourselves through poor self-talk especially when we encounter difficulties. For example, I found myself in a pretty bad mood this AM. We've had significant lake-effect snow over the night and once again I've had to go out and shovel. I have a new plow guy for my driveway and he's doing a terrible job. It's cold, it's blowing, and I came inside very cranky. But, I sat down with my knitting for a bit and then came onto the board to read your message. You've lifted me up!

I live in Rochester NY, of course it's going to snow! And it is beautiful espcially the drifting that the wind produces. So, this AM I'm making the decision to look at the beauty in everything. I'm starting the day over :-)

Thank you!
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Re: Being our own best ally!

Carol,

You have snow???? You do not know how lucky you are!! Our winter with snow lasted exaclty one day. And I just read a message on another board. Great advice for people who want to get healhtier: play in the snow, it is a fun way to exercise!

And here I sit in The Netherlands, suffering the horrors of Snowdrops and early Spring :smileysad:

Caroline

PS: OK to be perfectly honest, virtual snow is always easiest to enjoy :smileywink:
~ Caroline
Author
MJRyan
0 Kudos

What a great class! It used a fact about the brain--that it can't tell the difference between doing something and imagining doing something--to help you get going. Now the question is how can I make this job more what I want or how can I find a job more like what I want? The more specific you can get about the want (intention), the easier it will be to match up. So many of us get hung up on what we don't want, which only helps us get more of what we don't want.
Author
MJRyan
0 Kudos

Hi Carol,
I always say it's important to acknowledge our feelings of anger, sadness, etc. as well as the positive emotions. Because your snow situation IS a drag. Then, you can ask yourself, what can I enjoy and appreciate in spite of what else is going on that's difficult.

Does that help>
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Hi M.J.

Yes, that does help! I think that's why when I came back inside I went directly to my knitting. Knitting calms me down and I can get in the "zone" just feeling the yarn slide over the needles. After a row or two I can look at the situation more clearly. I took a look at my backyard which has a wonderful garden of trees and shrubs. The snow is beautiful the way the wind has whipped it into these smooth shapes and sharp points. It really is amazing! So, I'm better now :-0

Thanks!

Carol
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

caroline88 wrote:
Carol,

You have snow???? You do not know how lucky you are!! Our winter with snow lasted exaclty one day. And I just read a message on another board. Great advice for people who want to get healhtier: play in the snow, it is a fun way to exercise!

And here I sit in The Netherlands, suffering the horrors of Snowdrops and early Spring :smileysad:

Caroline

PS: OK to be perfectly honest, virtual snow is always easiest to enjoy :smileywink:

Caroline, I envy you with your snowdrops! We won't see snowdrops here for at least another six weeks! Currently we have about 2 feet of snow covering everything. And the wind has been pretty intense. But this too shall pass. One thing about Rochester - if you don't like the weather, wait a couple of days and it will change!
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Carol,

I cannot imagine what 2 feet of snow would look like or feel like. Six more weeks until the snowdrops? That is six whole weeks of joyful anticipation, if you choose to.

I think every place has their own balance. I live near the coast. The good thing, it does not get as hot here in Summer. The bad thing, we often get more wind than the folks living in the country. And in the chillier part of the year, that makes a big difference. And in any time of the year, the only kind of wind that I can enjoy is the cool summer breeze.

Make it a great day!
Caroline
~ Caroline
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 552 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: