Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

Abundance

Before I read it, I thought Abundance was an odd title for a book about Marie Antoinette. "Why not Opulence or Extravagance?" I remarked to friends.

By the time I finished the book, I knew why the choice was made. Not wanting to give anything away too soon, I'll just note that the word abundance is used on p 10 (paperback). When my body ripens, inadequacy will be replaced by abundance.

Did anyone else wonder about the choice of title or have any comments on the use of the word in Act I?

Marcia
Frequent Contributor
viva2
0 Kudos

Re: Abundance

marcialou wrote:
Before I read it, I thought Abundance was an odd title for a book about Marie Antoinette. "Why not Opulence or Extravagance?" I remarked to friends.

By the time I finished the book, I knew why the choice was made. Not wanting to give anything away too soon, I'll just note that the word abundance is used on p 10 (paperback). When my body ripens, inadequacy will be replaced by abundance.

Did anyone else wonder about the choice of title or have any comments on the use of the word in Act I?

Marcia

You are more observant than I.

I did wonder at the title, but on the basis of the quote from page ten of the paperback, I would say that abundance, used in the context of her body, is a clear foreshadowing of her ability at long last to become a mother, not once but three times, thus fulfilling her greatest wish for her life.

I am still in Act Two of the book, so I will be interested to see whether or not my guess holds true for the entire book.

Of course, her longing for motherhood is inextricably tied to her becoming a true wife after so many frustrating months of unconsummated marriage.

There is a third element to the abundance, that of strengthening the ties between France and Austria through the mixed bloodlines of her three children, the royal heirs.
New User
ampbritish
0 Kudos

I HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK YET I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY COPY TO GET HERE
HOPEFULLY BY 8/8/07. BUT I WAS SKEPTICAL ABOUT THE TITLE AND I ALMOST DID NOT CHOOSE THE BOOK BECUSE OF THE TITLE. I WILL MAKE A NOTE OF PG 10
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I like the title "Abundance". I felt it stood for their life as a whole. The world around them. Everything in abundance.
Frequent Contributor
mx6stcy
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
I like the title "Abundance". I felt it stood for their life as a whole. The world around them. Everything in abundance.

That is the way I saw this too. Their lives were steeped in abundance which was in stark contrast to the country (and their people) around them. Ms. Naslund also explains her view in the "Author's Note" on page xvi at the beginning of the book. The other quote from the book that made sense was on page 183 (paperback) when Marie and Louis XV are discussing the artwork in the Hall of Mirrors.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

To me, Abundance signifies the cause of the fall of the house of Bourbon. Too much versus too little. An abundance of wealth versus an abundance of poverty.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

I have read the entire book and found 'abundance' in many things related to MA. I too do not want to spoil it for others - although we all know how it ends. There was abundant frivolity,youth, spoiling, heartbreak, ignorance. She had a great example from her mother and failed to use it as a way to help rule France. I believe as I read about her that this may have been more Louie's fault. He was not the brightest bulb was he? Of course hindsight is always 20/20 but some of his manuevers were very counterproductive - jd
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

marcialou wrote:

Marcia

I always read a book looking for the meaning of the title. I immediately noticed the same quote you did. I assume that it is in reference to both physical and emotional maturity. I will be on the lookout for more meanings of the title as I read.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
SenaJeterNaslund
0 Kudos

I named the novel ABUNDANCE for a variety of reasons. MA had an abundance of heart, of feeling that outlasted the material abundance she had at her disposal when she first came to France.
More on this later!
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

Sena.

By the time I finished the book, it was clear that you were describing the abundance of love and friendship in MA' life. You were saying that these qualities were more salient features than her unhappiness or her extravagance. I'm glad you didn't actually use the word abundance in the last sentence. The meaning came through well enough without it.

Did you anticipate that some people would wonder about the title? I did at first because I thought of abundance as meaning plenty in a comfortable sense but not too much or over the top. I wonder if you meant the word to cover the extravagant part of MA's life as well as the more spiritual pleasures, or whether you intentionally chose a word that would contradict the expectations that most of us have about her.

Marcia
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Abundance-Page 245

marcialou wrote:

Here is another reference to abundance as it pertains to MA's body:

"She massages my bare breasts --- oh yes, they are large and attractive, she says, and what man who is a man would not want the abundance of your body?"
Laura

Author
SenaJeterNaslund
0 Kudos

I did worry some about the title and thought it necessary to have a subtitle so people would know the novel was about Marie Antoinette. But I have always loved the word "abundance"; to me it does not connote extravagance. I associate it with the beautiful image of the cornucopia, of harvest, of plenty, and as I say in another note, it was a word used a lot in the 18th century and depicted allegorically, often along with Peace.
I considered using the title "Heart of a Queen," but thought it sounded too much like a romance novel. What do readers think of that title?

marcialou wrote:
Sena.

By the time I finished the book, it was clear that you were describing the abundance of love and friendship in MA' life. You were saying that these qualities were more salient features than her unhappiness or her extravagance. I'm glad you didn't actually use the word abundance in the last sentence. The meaning came through well enough without it.

Did you anticipate that some people would wonder about the title? I did at first because I thought of abundance as meaning plenty in a comfortable sense but not too much or over the top. I wonder if you meant the word to cover the extravagant part of MA's life as well as the more spiritual pleasures, or whether you intentionally chose a word that would contradict the expectations that most of us have about her.

Marcia

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Heart of a Queen

SenaJeterNaslund wrote:
I considered using the title "Heart of a Queen," but thought it sounded too much like a romance novel. What do readers think of that title?

marcialou wrote:

I agree that Heart of a Queen could easily be assumed to be about the romantic and sexual side of MA and might diminish the many other facets of the novel, especially all the historical aspects of her life.

I have to say that I don't think a book title has ever prevented me from reading a book. Certainly titles do attract interest though.
Laura

jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

Re: Heart of a Queen

I think abundance draws more questions and attention and thus is a better title - jd
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

SenaJeterNaslund wrote:
I did worry some about the title and thought it necessary to have a subtitle so people would know the novel was about Marie Antoinette. But I have always loved the word "abundance"; to me it does not connote extravagance. I associate it with the beautiful image of the cornucopia, of harvest, of plenty, and as I say in another note, it was a word used a lot in the 18th century and depicted allegorically, often along with Peace.

marcialou wrote:
Sena.

Marcia

I love what you said about the word "Abundance." I think it describes Marie to a "T".
Abundance to me means plenty, not doing without, happiness, a fulfilled life lived. So it fits perfect within this realm. Its like a harvest well sowed and reeped with blessings.
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

In spite of my initial reservations, the title Abundance intrigued me. It was provocative in a good way. It said, "So you think Marie Antoinette was a let-them-eat-cake Queen. Let me show you her other side."

Abundance suggests a cornucopia to me too, Sena. That's quite a different image from the opulance of Versailles. But as I said before, your story stresses the abundant side over the opulant side of MA, hence the title is appropriate.

Marcia
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

SenaJeterNaslund wrote:

marcialou wrote:
Sena.

Marcia

I love what you said about the word "Abundance." I think it describes Marie to a "T".
Abundance to me means plenty, not doing without, happiness, a fulfilled life lived. So it fits perfect within this realm. Its like a harvest well sowed and reeped with blessings.

A lovely way you've teased the qualities out of this title! I think on the surface it's intriguing, it creates a question, but you're so right about how it hints at a revision of the common concept of MA's life. It registers like an off-rhyme to the other more negative words for plenty.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Here's a passage that refers to the avoidance of the King. MA is speaking to her husband.

"You speak from the abundance of your heart, and your words are beautiful."

The King did treat MA with the utmost respect.
Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

A passage on abundance from page 428:

MA is speaking to her children.

"If you forever show them the trust and the abundance of your affection, then, like a mirror, they will reflect it back to you."
Laura

Contributor
driamaria
0 Kudos

One scene in the book really makes me think of abundance. It's page 337 - "I feel like a pomegranate and wish that my skin could take on its hue, a blend of orange and red and rose, a streak of golf, some drops of black, the little crown on its top in shape if not size to sit atop the head of a royal babe, a boy who would be king. I am a pomegranate mother".

I think her comparison of herself to a pomegranate embodies abundance. Pomegranates were the food of the gods in Greek mythology and I picture the gods lazing about in the heavens, dripping pomegranate juice and seeds in their mouths, drinking wine and generally having an abundance of whatever they wish for. I also think the comparison is very fitting to what her role really is in life - pomegranates produce many seeds, MA is to produce as many royal children as possible.
Users Online
Currently online:25 members 309 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: