Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

After us the deluge

Louis XVI shares some insights into state of the monarchy to Marie Antoinette on p 184. “People used to say proudly that they served the King…Now …they are glad to serve the state." He insists that his oath is not to the state but to God. This is the old notion of the divine right of kings.

You can see how at this point France is on the brink of modernity and it is all downhill from here for the Monarchy. “After us, the deluge,” Louis XVI is reported to have said on p 203. He seems to sense that he is the last absolute monarch of France.

If people like, we can use this thread to discuss passages and events that foreshadow the revolution.

Marcia
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: After us the deluge

marcialou wrote:
If people like, we can use this thread to discuss passages and events that foreshadow the revolution.

On page 264 is a not so subtle foreshadowing of the Revolution:

"The revolution will be cruel, and I am sorry to say that it will be of your own making."

Wow! Sena, were there warnings like this one in letters from advisors and family members?
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Here is another passage that foreshadows the Revolution (pg. 377):

"I ask the count what he thought of Beaumarchais's play The Marriage of Figaro."

"... the play encourages the insubordination and rebellion of the lower classes and shows them most clever and resourceful in the face of their masters."
Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Another passage foreshadowing the Revolution (pg. 380):

"Strange to say, when my carriage enters Paris there are no outpourings of joy among the people. Indeed, it is a cold reception."

And another (pg. 382):

"I wonder in what state of mind were Rozier and his companion as they fell and fell from the sky. Were they filled with terror? Did their courage sustain them to the end?"

And another (pg. 433):

"The people of Paris are filled with inflammable gas, like a balloon lighter than air."

I thought using the imagery of the hot air balloon rides with the build up and onset of the Revolution was very clever!
Laura

Contributor
driamaria
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I can't find the page now, but one of the instances of forshadowing that I noticed was when the Greek mythology of Apollo was brought up. And they discussed what happened when Apollo let mortals drive the sun across the sky - it resulted in disaster. I think this is great forshadowing as MA and Louis are trying to "drive" a country and we all know it's heading done the road to disaster. And if I remember correctly, wasn't Louis XV called the Sun King? If I have my facts straight, how fitting that the Sun King has handed over the reigns to MA and Louis.

Message Edited by driamaria on 08-22-2007 11:42 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 86 members 818 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: