Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun

The painter, Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun, seems to me the one character, with the possible exception of Fersen, who lives a life beyond the prison walls created by rigid societal expectations and circumstances of birth. She earns her living and receives recognition by her talents, not her position in society. She moves about freely.

MA once knew a freedom akin to this. She recalls her childhood playing with her brothers and sisters: "Because our enterntainments most often involved our talents-- at the keyboard or the the bow, dancing or singing or acting--our ability determined who was dominant and most admired." (p 112)

MA and EVL become fast friends and MA is able to confide in her in ways she doesn't to others. She considers EVL and herself to be "equally fortunate" in the lives they were given. (p 285).

By the end of the book, MA seems to have no regrets, but it is clear to the reader that she is the less fortunate of the two. Her life may have been abundant but her role is no longer needed, and according to the logic of the times, she and her husband must be destroyed in order to make way for the new order.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun

What I noticed about Elisabeth was that she gave the Queen the opportunity for straight forward, honest conversation. I think that MA appreciated this because, as Queen, I am sure that she was told what people thought she wanted to hear, not what was necessarily true
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,646 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: