Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
llij
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-10-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

I'm Jill from Texas and ex-Mississippi Gulf Coast. I have never done this before, but when I saw Naslund's name I had to join--if for nothing else--then to say something to her: lost my waterfront house and everything in it to Katrina, including an entire wall of books; have started replacing some of the books, and my very first replacement was "Ahab's Wife", which I read, then recommended to a land-based book club, and read again. This is my all-time favorite book. Ms. Naslund, I thank you for a book that was so insightful and intriguing, as well as intellectually satisfying. I will be buying "Abundance" and look forward to another good read.
Author
SenaJeterNaslund
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎08-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Dear Jill,
I'm so sorry about your losses from Katrina. I hope you're okay now. You sound strong and good. I could not be more honored than that you have chosen "Ahab's Wife" as the first book you replaced. I loved writing that novel--I had no contract and no agent when I wrote it. I just wrote the book that was in my heart to write. Sometimes I felt sort of ghostly readers gathered around me. I couldn't see them well, but they were encouraging. "That's pretty good," they would say, or "Keep going." Sometimes when I give readings or hear from people like you, I feel sure that something of your spirit was with me then.
I hope you enjoy reading "Abundance." They're different experiences, but the books have a lot in common, too. I'll enjoy hearing from you and what similarities and differences you see between the two books





llij wrote:
I'm Jill from Texas and ex-Mississippi Gulf Coast. I have never done this before, but when I saw Naslund's name I had to join--if for nothing else--then to say something to her: lost my waterfront house and everything in it to Katrina, including an entire wall of books; have started replacing some of the books, and my very first replacement was "Ahab's Wife", which I read, then recommended to a land-based book club, and read again. This is my all-time favorite book. Ms. Naslund, I thank you for a book that was so insightful and intriguing, as well as intellectually satisfying. I will be buying "Abundance" and look forward to another good read.


New User
quiggy1
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-11-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Historical fiction is fascinating to me and I've really enjoyed the work of Margaret George (Autobiography of Henry VIII), and Philippa Gregory (The Boleyn Inheritance), just two out of many. Looking forward to catching up on the discussion..
Author
SenaJeterNaslund
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎08-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Welcome aboard! It interested me that MA changed in a variety of ways as she grew older and went through several different phases. Becoming a mother was extremely important to her, but people in court called her "frivolous" BECAUSE she wanted to spend time with her children. She ignored their criticism, but she did become isolated from court life.




quiggy1 wrote:
Historical fiction is fascinating to me and I've really enjoyed the work of Margaret George (Autobiography of Henry VIII), and Philippa Gregory (The Boleyn Inheritance), just two out of many. Looking forward to catching up on the discussion..


New User
ezerwekh
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Hello all! I am a little late in catching up with all the discussions! I am a first grade teacher who loves to read! I do my best to encourage the love of literature with all of my students!

My favorite genre is historical fiction. Most of the historical fiction I have read is by Philippa Gregory and Jean Plaidy. I picked up Abundance after seeing the film directed by Sophia Coppola. I decided it was about time I changed countries! I absolutely fell in love with the book! I am always inspired by strong women. I feel that MA was a very strong woman and her insistance that she be the main caregiver for her children was very touching. I am truly intrigued and would love to read more about MA. Any book suggestions?

I look forward to catching up on the discussions.
New User
Groa
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎08-08-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

No offense to Ms Gregory, but SJN leaves her in the dustcover.
New User
Cheyenne
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎08-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

[ Edited ]
Greetings All!

After returning from a trip to Paris with sidetrips to Versailles and Compeigne, I was thrilled that B&N was featuring Abundance. I read several books on Marie Antoinette when I was younger, but it has been a while and I really only remember the main details of her life. So this was a perfect opportunity to relearn the story of her life after my interest was rekindled in France.

I look forward to finishing the book (I'm only on page 50) and reading everyone's impressions!

Message Edited by Cheyenne on 08-13-2007 02:41 PM
Contributor
nancy11360
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

I have read "Marie Antoinette" and enjoyed learning about this interesting historical character from such a unique perspective. What I liked best about this version of her life was the humanistic quality that the author gave to her. As frivolous as aspects of her life were, she still had an element of humanity that might not shine through in other accounts. I also want to mention that "Ahab's Wife" was one of the best books I have ever read. This book encompasses everything that I enjoy in a book - history, emotion, real events/characters, a sense of place. It was just brilliant. Coincidently enough I was reading it while on vacation in Cape Cod and while I was there I took a day trip to Nantucket. It was fun to walk down the streets that are described in the book. I tried to imagine what it would have looked like many years ago when the story takes place. Thank you for writing such an incredible novel that I know I will read again.
Author
SenaJeterNaslund
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎08-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying my novel. I, too, was touched by the way MA mothered her children. She cared about their moral development and wanted them to be worthy of the great God-given task (as she understood it) of ruling.
Author
SenaJeterNaslund
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎08-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

I love it when readers say they will read my books more than once. I read books I love over and over and always finds something richer and deeper in them. I enjoy imagining, too, your visit to Nantucket and recognizing the places mentioned in the book. The artist also did a fine job of drawing the Unitarian church, I thought. When I myself first went out to 'Sconset and saw the waves crashing against the shore, I wa so thrilled, and I knew Una had to decide to live there some day.



nancy11360 wrote:
I have read "Marie Antoinette" and enjoyed learning about this interesting historical character from such a unique perspective. What I liked best about this version of her life was the humanistic quality that the author gave to her. As frivolous as aspects of her life were, she still had an element of humanity that might not shine through in other accounts. I also want to mention that "Ahab's Wife" was one of the best books I have ever read. This book encompasses everything that I enjoy in a book - history, emotion, real events/characters, a sense of place. It was just brilliant. Coincidently enough I was reading it while on vacation in Cape Cod and while I was there I took a day trip to Nantucket. It was fun to walk down the streets that are described in the book. I tried to imagine what it would have looked like many years ago when the story takes place. Thank you for writing such an incredible novel that I know I will read again.


Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 721 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: