Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MOBucky
0 Kudos

At last!

I sympathize with those who love to read, but cannot find anyone with whom to discuss the literature. I live -- believe it or not -- 50 miles from the nearest bookstore. Cities all the way there. Obviously, people here don't read.

I'm really looking forward to these discussions, but Please, Please, don't make us read the sonnets! lol I'm a stay-at-home mom whose child is at school all day and I don't have many social outlets. This is perfect for me. Thanks BN!

MOBucky
Beware the Badger!
Contributor
swimmer53094
0 Kudos

Re: At last!

MOBucky wrote:
I sympathize with those who love to read, but cannot find anyone with whom to discuss the literature. I live -- believe it or not -- 50 miles from the nearest bookstore. Cities all the way there. Obviously, people here don't read.

I'm really looking forward to these discussions, but Please, Please, don't make us read the sonnets! lol I'm a stay-at-home mom whose child is at school all day and I don't have many social outlets. This is perfect for me. Thanks BN!

MOBucky

Shall I compare thee post to a summer's day?
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

MOBucky wrote:
Please, Please, don't make us read the sonnets! lol

Okay. We won't make you read them. But maybe we'll just slip in a line or two from the sonnet here and there, and zip zap zowie at the end of a year or so you will have read all of them without knowing it!

After all, as a stay at home mom, now stand you on the top of happy hours.

BTW, I notice that you pled with us not to make you read the sonnets, but you didn't say anything about not making you read Venus and Adonis, or The Rape of Lucrece. So we'll expect your active reading and participation when we get to those!
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

MOBucky wrote:
Please, Please, don't make us read the sonnets! lol

Okay. We won't make you read them. But maybe we'll just slip in a line or two from the sonnet here and there, and zip zap zowie at the end of a year or so you will have read all of them without knowing it!

After all, as a stay at home mom, now stand you on the top of happy hours.

BTW, I notice that you pled with us not to make you read the sonnets, but you didn't say anything about not making you read Venus and Adonis, or The Rape of Lucrece. So we'll expect your active reading and participation when we get to those!

I think she was parodying Br'er Rabbit, E.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
I think she was parodying Br'er Rabbit, E.

Oh. Sorry. Br'er R wasn't part of my upbringing.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'll admit the only B&N's in the area are either downtown Baltimore (the phrase "available parking" is an oxymoron in this town), or another half an hour north! I used to be a bookseller for a weak rival chain, and let me tell you... there are bookstores and then there are bookstores... we only had the former, not the latter... *sigh*

I find the use of online discussion boards much easier for me, since getting together for a social book club requires scheduled events, and I'm not much of a scheduled events kinda gal. I can chat what I want when I want, which is good for my midnight chatfests... I look forward to seeing how this works out!

Message Edited by samantilles on 01-30-200710:05 PM

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~ Edgar Allen Poe

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Yeah, the face-to-face book clubs didn't work for me, either. They tended to lean toward contemporary fiction which was something I'd rather read once in a while. And you can't get as indepth a discussion in a two-hour once-a-month meeting.

Denise
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 1,002 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: