Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

BN.com Announces September Selection for Shakespeare Book Club!

[ Edited ]

The September selection for the Shakespeare Book Club will be Julius Caesar!  Come join us in reading and discussing this popular play beginning September 2nd.

The play was the first one performed in Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.  The Barnes & Noble edition description says, "It dramatizes the most controversial event in ancient history, the assassination of Julius Caesar." 

In this upcoming election season when many people's focus will be on the role of government and leadership in the lives of citizens, the play offers much to think about concerning these and other themes. 

Whether you are reading the play for the first time as a high school student, are re-reading it after many years, or are approaching the play for the first time as an adult, we hope you'll join us for a stimulating and informative discussion!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-07-2008 11:43 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Julius Caesar

Looking forward to re-reading Julius Caesar after many many years.  I read it my sophomore year of high school and remember it being an easier read than I had anticipated.  Of course, that was the year of British Lit, we had already tackled Beowulf, the Rime of the Ancient Marnier, and Canterbury Tales among others - so I guess it was all relative.  :smileywink:
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: BN.com Announces September Selection for Shakespeare Book Club!

Connie K wrote:  It dramatizes the most controversial event in ancient history, the assassination of Julius Caesar.

Ooh, what a delightfully controversial remark!  The most controversial event, eh?  Hmmmmmmm....  :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

What a great way to describe your reasoning for selecting this play.  I often watch or read the news and label the actions of the people as the characters of Caesar.  Unfortunately, I keep seeing Mark Antony in most news articles.

What a shame.

Frequent Contributor
AbsolutePirateVampyre
0 Kudos

I've never read Julius Cesear but I'm looking forward to it!
Awesometastic ^ =.= ^
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Julius Caesar

Glad to hear it, LizzieAnn!  I think this is a typical play taught in high school, so a re-read will be interesting for many of us!

~ConnieK

LizzieAnn wrote:
Looking forward to re-reading Julius Caesar after many many years.  I read it my sophomore year of high school and remember it being an easier read than I had anticipated.  Of course, that was the year of British Lit, we had already tackled Beowulf, the Rime of the Ancient Marnier, and Canterbury Tales among others - so I guess it was all relative.  :smileywink:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I didn't say that, EM--that's a quote from the BN.com description of the BN edition!  :smileywink:  [Edit:  But I see I didn't note that distinction in my original announcement, so I've gone back to edit--thanks Everyman!].

Even so, your taking up the 'controversial statement' is something to indeed look forward to reading next month!

~ConnieK

Everyman wrote:

Connie K wrote:  It dramatizes the most controversial event in ancient history, the assassination of Julius Caesar.

Ooh, what a delightfully controversial remark!  The most controversial event, eh?  Hmmmmmmm....  :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-07-2008 11:44 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hi, Benedict--There are not always direct, one-for-one parallels in the news of the current day with great literature, to be sure, but the general atmosphere of the upcoming election season may help American readers, especially, stop and notice aspects of the play that they may like to highlight for discussion in light of current events. 

Thanks!

~ConnieK

Benedict wrote:

What a great way to describe your reasoning for selecting this play.  I often watch or read the news and label the actions of the people as the characters of Caesar.  Unfortunately, I keep seeing Mark Antony in most news articles.

What a shame.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, AbsolutePirate!  Glad to hear you'll be joining us.  Do you have a complete Shakespeare to read from, or do you plan to get a newer edition of the play to read?

~ConnieK

AbsolutePirateVampyre wrote:
I've never read Julius Cesear but I'm looking forward to it!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I assume that when we get to the actual discussion of the play, you will explain why you say "unfortunately."   :manvery-happy:

Benedict wrote:

What a shame.

0 Kudos

I'll be joining too. I haven't read Julius Caesar. I'm doing a self-challenge to complete The Teaching Company's William Shakespeare: Comedies Histories and Tragedies course in the next year. So I'm thrilled to find some company on my journey!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Isn't that a great course?  I just love Saccio.  He combines enormous knowledge with such a love for teaching about S that it's impossible not to have a great time learning from him. 

streamsong wrote:
I'll be joining too. I haven't read Julius Caesar. I'm doing a self-challenge to complete The Teaching Company's William Shakespeare: Comedies Histories and Tragedies course in the next year. So I'm thrilled to find some company on my journey!

0 Kudos

I haven't been on the Boards for a while, but will definately chime in on this one!  I haven't read it for a while either, I think it was in my Sophmore High School English Class as well!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome back, book-nut!  It'll be great having you back around for Julius Caesar!  It's sounding like there are some fires brewing for our discussion already!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
MedMan
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:Excellent selection for the first play!

I'm looking forward to our future discussions regarding Julius Caesar.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Glad to have you aboard with us in September, MedMan!  I'm looking forward to it, as well.  Thanks for your support of the club.

~ConnieK

MedMan wrote:

:smileyhappy:Excellent selection for the first play!

I'm looking forward to our future discussions regarding Julius Caesar.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
va-BBoomer
0 Kudos

I'll try to be here, too.  And also for me, it was sophomore year in high school.  We had Merchant of Venice freshman year, Macbeth junior year, and Hamlet senior year. 
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, va-BBoomer!

I think it will be interesting to see how we all think about this play for those of us who haven't read it since all the way back then!  We look forward to your input!

~ConnieK

va-BBoomer wrote:
I'll try to be here, too.  And also for me, it was sophomore year in high school.  We had Merchant of Venice freshman year, Macbeth junior year, and Hamlet senior year. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader
MrPleshko
0 Kudos

Great Caesar's Ghost!!!  It has been a couple of years since I taught this one, so it will be fun to revisit.

Looking forward to it.

Kevin 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Ha!  Glad to have you aboard, MrPleshko!  Feel free to 'teach' us (or not!) when you get here, too!  We all have much to learn and relearn!

~ConnieK

MrPleshko wrote:

Great Caesar's Ghost!!!  It has been a couple of years since I taught this one, so it will be fun to revisit.

Looking forward to it.

Kevin 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 637 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: