Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

HAMLET: Stage Productions

Tell us here about any stage productions of the play you have had the opportunity to see--or be part of!  :smileywink:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Re: HAMLET: Stage Productions

I haven't seen a stage performance of Hamlet, but

Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Oregon is doing Hamlet during the 2010 season.  Running dates are February 19 -October 30.  I can't get details, but the photo looks like a WWII setting.

[Very tempting, but an eight hour drive. Thinking, thinking.  But by February 25th, there will be three other plays opening that I can see as well.  And we're doing Hamlet here thru March.  Thinking, thinking.]

Metropolitan Opera will be performing Hamlet in March.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

harleyhoney wrote:

I haven't seen a stage performance of Hamlet, but

Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Oregon is doing Hamlet during the 2010 season.  Running dates are February 19 -October 30.  I can't get details, but the photo looks like a WWII setting.

[Very tempting, but an eight hour drive. Thinking, thinking.  But by February 25th, there will be three other plays opening that I can see as well.  And we're doing Hamlet here thru March.  Thinking, thinking.]

Metropolitan Opera will be performing Hamlet in March.

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy!  I'm going to copy and paste this in our thread for Shakespeare festivals, etc., too.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

As mentioned in the festivals thread, HAMLET is currently on stage at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and many have observed from the photographs of the production that are available so far (apparently, more are coming to the website), this Hamlet may be "delaying" and doing his thing in a more modern setting--maybe during WWII.

I'm curious about what you may think about this.  How would this change how we view the play?  WWII is such an important time in recent history--the whole world was involved, obviously, and there was a lot going on. 

Would Hamlet's mental torment over the ghost, his uncle, etc. read differently in this context?

What do you think?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 772 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: