Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello, Readers!

BN.com is reinvigorating the Shakespeare Book Club, and as the new moderator of the club, I'd like to hear from you.

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to me and the group.  What is your interest in Shakespeare?  What is your background in the bard? Are you a new reader?  An aficionado?  Involved in dramatic productions of the plays?  A dedicated reader still confused by the language?  Someone who adores Shakespeare's sonnets?  Let us know!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!

I'm Everyman, an almost-retired former many things and new grandparent living on a smallish island in Northwest Washington state.  I've been reading Shakespeare on and off for much of my life, and was an active participant in the Shakespeare courses on the old Barnes and Noble University.  But there is so much depth and richness in Shakespeare that one never exhausts him.

In approaching the plays, I tend to be a fairly staunch traditionalist.  I don't like directors who feel tha they have to put their stamp on the plays by some bizarre interpretation (Richard as a Nazi) or staging (bicycles in Midsummer Night's Dream.)  What's wrong with doing Shakespeare as Shakespeare wrote it?  If you want to do a play with bicycles, find one written for them or have one written for you.  Humph!

I look forward to discussing these plays both with people to whom they are old friends and to those coming to their wonders and delights for the first time.  I especially hope the latter won't be intimidated, but will plunge in with thoughts and comments.  We were all Shakespeare newbies at some point in our lives, and I find that fresh looks are often the most interesting!
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

It's Connie!  Yay!

I jump in and out of Shakespeare depending on my mood and time. 

ConnieK wrote:

Hello, Readers!

BN.com is reinvigorating the Shakespeare Book Club, and as the new moderator of the club, I'd like to hear from you.

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to me and the group.  What is your interest in Shakespeare?  What is your background in the bard? Are you a new reader?  An aficionado?  Involved in dramatic productions of the plays?  A dedicated reader still confused by the language?  Someone who adores Shakespeare's sonnets?  Let us know!

~ConnieK

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
MedMan
0 Kudos

This is my first entry into any of the B&N book clubs so I hope joining this group will be both a rewarding and enjoyable experience.

I recently resumed reading Shakespeare to appreciate his playwright skills in depicting his characters, especially in the Tragedies, eg. Hamlet, Macbeth, etc.

Throughout my life, I have been attending to the medical needs of my patients.  Now, I would just like to read and enjoy some of the finer arts that I have missed throughout these years.  I guess this is a sign of growing wiser with age as oppose to just growing older! :smileywink:

I am looking forward to our future readings and discussions!

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I'm delighted that this board is being reinvigorated, and I can hardly wait to see what the first selection will be. I can always find time for Shakespeare.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Welcome to the newbies and we're thrilled to see our more seasoned users here!

I think most of you are familiar with the wonderful contributions ConnieK has made, she'll be a terrific moderator for this club.  Of course, as with all things it's a work in progress so we thank you in advance for your patience and for your enthusiasm!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Reader
shelaghjune
0 Kudos

Hello I was hoping it is not too late to join this group. I am a new member to B&N book clubs and new to how these work. So hopefully I am doing this correctly.  I hope to get caught up in my reading according to your schedule so I can jump right in.
A little about me, I am an avid reader and drive most of my friends crazy asking " have you read this? Have you read that?" I was so fortunate this year to attend a women's literary conference and was so inspired to be in a room full of readers and authors. I can't remember a time in my life that I didn't love books and reading. Hope it is alright to join.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

It's never too late!  But this is a great time to join anyhow since we haven't started the first discussion under our great new moderator yet.
0 Kudos

Welcome, Everyman (or should I say, thank you for welcoming me?)!

I'm pleased to be here, as well, and glad you enjoy Shakespeare and all of his glories and challenges.  It's nice to have regular members who are active posters.  They can help get things going again.  As far as the thread on Resources--I see you had started one awhile back.  If you have something new to add there, a new post, as you know, will bump that thread back up toward the top again.  Feel free, any time!

And thanks, again, for the vote of support!

~ConnieK

Everyman wrote:

I'm Everyman, an almost-retired former many things and new grandparent living on a smallish island in Northwest Washington state.  I've been reading Shakespeare on and off for much of my life, and was an active participant in the Shakespeare courses on the old Barnes and Noble University.  But there is so much depth and richness in Shakespeare that one never exhausts him.

In approaching the plays, I tend to be a fairly staunch traditionalist.  I don't like directors who feel tha they have to put their stamp on the plays by some bizarre interpretation (Richard as a Nazi) or staging (bicycles in Midsummer Night's Dream.)  What's wrong with doing Shakespeare as Shakespeare wrote it?  If you want to do a play with bicycles, find one written for them or have one written for you.  Humph!

I look forward to discussing these plays both with people to whom they are old friends and to those coming to their wonders and delights for the first time.  I especially hope the latter won't be intimidated, but will plunge in with thoughts and comments.  We were all Shakespeare newbies at some point in our lives, and I find that fresh looks are often the most interesting!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Melissa W.!  And thanks to you for the welcome, as well!  I hope you'll jump in with Shakespeare again with us.  So rich; so fine!  :smileywink:

~ConnieK

pedsphleb wrote:

It's Connie!  Yay!

I jump in and out of Shakespeare depending on my mood and time. 

ConnieK wrote:

Hello, Readers!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, MedMan!

I'm touched that you have decided to give the online book clubs a try as part of your rediscovery of the arts in your retirement from the medical profession.  You have given so much of yourself to others for so long--it's time you did engage in some activities purely for your own enjoyment.  I'm honored you're giving this format a try and hope that you enjoy our discussions.  The book clubs are always the most rewarding when the members are active in posting--so, I hope you'll feel free to read and comment often.

~ConnieK

MedMan wrote:

This is my first entry into any of the B&N book clubs so I hope joining this group will be both a rewarding and enjoyable experience.

I recently resumed reading Shakespeare to appreciate his playwright skills in depicting his characters, especially in the Tragedies, eg. Hamlet, Macbeth, etc.

Throughout my life, I have been attending to the medical needs of my patients.  Now, I would just like to read and enjoy some of the finer arts that I have missed throughout these years.  I guess this is a sign of growing wiser with age as oppose to just growing older! :smileywink:

I am looking forward to our future readings and discussions!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hey, Laurel--welcome!  What I find is that no matter what play is chosen, I always have more to learn about it!  I hope you'll join right in.

~ConnieK

Laurel wrote:
I'm delighted that this board is being reinvigorated, and I can hardly wait to see what the first selection will be. I can always find time for Shakespeare.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks, Maria--I'm delighted to be here! 

~ConnieK

Maria_H wrote:

Welcome to the newbies and we're thrilled to see our more seasoned users here!

I think most of you are familiar with the wonderful contributions ConnieK has made, she'll be a terrific moderator for this club.  Of course, as with all things it's a work in progress so we thank you in advance for your patience and for your enthusiasm!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, shelaghjune!

Of course, come right in!  It's not too late at all.  This is one of the clubs at BN.com that is getting a "reboot," so to speak.  It's a good time to join, actually, for that reason.  New members are always welcome, and encouraged, in all of the book clubs here.  Personally, as a moderator, I make taking care of new members a top priority!  :smileywink:

Hope you enjoy the club!

~ConnieK

shelaghjune wrote:
Hello I was hoping it is not too late to join this group. I am a new member to B&N book clubs and new to how these work. So hopefully I am doing this correctly.  I hope to get caught up in my reading according to your schedule so I can jump right in.
A little about me, I am an avid reader and drive most of my friends crazy asking " have you read this? Have you read that?" I was so fortunate this year to attend a women's literary conference and was so inspired to be in a room full of readers and authors. I can't remember a time in my life that I didn't love books and reading. Hope it is alright to join.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks again for the encouragement, Everyman.  It takes everyone in the group to make a discussion group stimulating and rewarding, as you know.  I can see you're ready to do your part--thanks!

~ConnieK

Everyman wrote:
It's never too late!  But this is a great time to join anyhow since we haven't started the first discussion under our great new moderator yet.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader
MrPleshko
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone.

I am new to the board, and I am excited about getting in on the ground floor with a new moderator.  I can't wait to get into one of these great plays with some other avid readers!  I tend to gravitate toward the tragedies most often, but I did recently reread The Winter's Tale just for the sake of getting my Elizabethan chops back before school starts up again in two weeks.  I can't wait to discover which work we will be reading together.

Looking forward to it!

Kevin 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Great to have you, Kevin!  Thanks for posting and for your support!

~ConnieK

MrPleshko wrote:

Hi, everyone.

I am new to the board, and I am excited about getting in on the ground floor with a new moderator.  I can't wait to get into one of these great plays with some other avid readers!  I tend to gravitate toward the tragedies most often, but I did recently reread The Winter's Tale just for the sake of getting my Elizabethan chops back before school starts up again in two weeks.  I can't wait to discover which work we will be reading together.

Looking forward to it!

Kevin 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Bridgid and I'm a nurse from Philly.  It has been awhile since I have read Shakespeare.  My first introduction to the bard was in high school on a summer reading list.  I continued with Will during college and only sparsely since then.  Part of my high school memories was also going to see Shakespeare in the Park, you see every month we had to do something cultural and write an essay about it, it was due the first Monday of the month.  I am looking forward to this club, as I said in another post, Shakespeare without pressure.....what a concept.

bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome here, too, Bridgid!

~ConnieK

bmbrennan wrote:

Hi,

My name is Bridgid and I'm a nurse from Philly.  It has been awhile since I have read Shakespeare.  My first introduction to the bard was in high school on a summer reading list.  I continued with Will during college and only sparsely since then.  Part of my high school memories was also going to see Shakespeare in the Park, you see every month we had to do something cultural and write an essay about it, it was due the first Monday of the month.  I am looking forward to this club, as I said in another post, Shakespeare without pressure.....what a concept.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
AbsolutePirateVampyre
0 Kudos

Hi

I forget when I first read Romeo and Juliet but I absolutely loved it. Soon after I read A midsummer Nights Dream. Unfortunately that has been all I have read of Shakespeares plays. I would love to delve farther in to the outstanding works of this great author.

Awesometastic ^ =.= ^
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:53 members 501 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: