Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!

Conrad_Jalowski wrote:

Greetings, I am an eighteen (18) year old college student at Molloy College. My major is in Byzantine history and my minor is German philosophy. At heart, I am a Platonist (as opposed to Aristotelianism) and a Hegelian (the two philosophies to which I strongly adhere to). I am also passionate on Ciceronian, Machiavellian and Thucydidean studies as well as the philosophies of Hugo Grotius, Immanuel Wallenstein, Immanuel Kant, Schelling, Locke, Montesquieu, Hobbes and Fichte among many others. I am also passionate of the intellectual movement of Romanticism such as of Walter Savage Landor, William Blake, William Wordsworth, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Lord Byron, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Friedrich von Schiller among many others. I am obsessed with the great collapse of the Roman Empire as one of unprecedented of falls (I study in my free time the theories of Edward Gibbon, Pirenne's Thesis, the Late Antiquity Theory as emendations on the dilapidation and ultimate collapse of Rome). I have read Polybius, Titus Livy, Sallustius Crispus, Ammianus Marcellinus, Procopius for latin literature, and I am currently reading Desiderius Erasmus' Ciceronianus or on The Ideal Latin Style of Cicero.

As for William Shakespeare, I admire two works above all else: The Tragedy of Julius Caesar and the Tragedy of Antony and Cleopatra. The first representing the hubristic personage of one man who like Catiline tore asunder the Roman Republic for despotic means and voluptuous pleasure which is ineffable whilst the second comments on the despotic Triumvirate, the fall of Marcus Aemilius Lepidus and the histrionic character of Cleopatra VII and the effeminacy of Mark Antony. As for the poetry and sonnets of William Shakespeare, I prefer the Petrarchan sonnet and the Spenserian sonnet to his own.

I am honored to be a part of the Barns and Noble online book discussion forums. 

Welcome, Conrad!  From your post and the sophistication of your reading, I should say that we are honored to have you on board with us!  We just read Julius Caesar in October, but the threads are still here, and you are welcome to add to any of them if you like.  We focus on one play a month, but the discussion is open to skip around to a variety of topics at any time, and that includes returning to plays we discussed previously.  Just dip in wherever the discussion looks interesting to you.

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
IHeartBooks28
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone!  I am a high school English teacher who loves to read.  I am currently teaching Othello, my favorite, and I'm anxious to read a few other works by Shakespeare.  College was the last time that I had a chance to read anything by him, other than Othello, of course.  I've never done a Barnes and Noble book club before, so I hope I'm doing this correctly!  I am currently involved in two other book clubs with friends and coworkers, and I'm very excited to join this one as well.  Do we have a reading schedule?  When do we need to have finished Love's Labours Lost?
~IHeartBooks28
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome to another high school English teacher (though my teaching days are in the now distant past!)

We should start discussing LLL next week, I believe.  We discuss the plays for a full month.  If we follow the normal schedule, there will be threads for each act, which shouldn't have "spoilers" in them (that is, shouldn't mention anything that happens later in the play than the act under discussion) so you can read the acts on a slower schedule and participate in just those threads if you wish.  Or, there will probably also be threads discussing topics which will allow discussion of the whole play, so those who want to avoid spoilers should avoid those until they've finished the play.

Hope this makes sense. Anyhow, welcome, and we look forward to your active participation.

IHeartBooks28 wrote:
Hi, everyone!  I am a high school English teacher who loves to read.  I am currently teaching Othello, my favorite, and I'm anxious to read a few other works by Shakespeare.  College was the last time that I had a chance to read anything by him, other than Othello, of course.  I've never done a Barnes and Noble book club before, so I hope I'm doing this correctly!  I am currently involved in two other book clubs with friends and coworkers, and I'm very excited to join this one as well.  Do we have a reading schedule?  When do we need to have finished Love's Labours Lost?

Message Edited by Everyman on 11-27-2008 12:14 AM
0 Kudos

IHeartBooks28 wrote:

Welcome, IHeart!  I hope you're enjoying some well-deserved time off from teaching this holiday weekend.  You did a fine job making your first post.  You're off and running!  :smileyhappy:

Everyman has done a splendid job of explaining the basics of how our discussion goes for the plays.  I'll be setting up threads for LLL soon.  Jump in anywhere you please at any time.  Even the 'older' threads are always open if you read something there to which you'd like to add a new comment or observation or question.

"See" you on the boards!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Echoes_of_Ophelia
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. My name’s Vivienne, and I’ve never participated in a book club before so I’m pretty excited to be here.  To be perfectly honest I haven’t read a lot of Shakespeare’s work, but what I have read I’ve enjoyed immensely, enough that I’d like to start reading more.  I’ve just started college (poly sci major) and frankly could use a reprieve from school work to just relax and read, and have intelligent discussion about what I’ve read.

From what I’ve gathered from the above posts, Love’s Labour’s Lost will be the topic for next month's threads – I look forward to discussing it with all of you!

-  Echoes_of_Ophelia

Contributor
OrangeBee
0 Kudos

Hello B&N Shakespeare Group!  My name is OrangeBee.  I am very new to the B&N site - so please bear with me.  I was a volunteer at the Seattle Shakespeare Company and enjoyed it a great deal.  I look forward to reading the next play and hope to chat with everyone soon.  Happy reading.

OB :smileyhappy:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

OrangeBee wrote:

Hello B&N Shakespeare Group!  My name is OrangeBee.  I am very new to the B&N site - so please bear with me.  I was a volunteer at the Seattle Shakespeare Company and enjoyed it a great deal.  I look forward to reading the next play and hope to chat with everyone soon.  Happy reading.

Welcome, OrangeBee!  It's great to have a theater volunteer with us!  I think you'll find others who have done something similar here.  I look forward to your participation in the discussions.  Did you ever see or help with a production of Love's Labour's Lost?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Welcome, OrangeBee.  You'll find a number of Northwest Washington folks here, including myself from the San Juan Islands.

Unfortunately I've never gotten down to Seattle to see the Seattle Shakespeare Company, but I know of them and the great performances they put on.  Neat to know somebody who participated in those!

OrangeBee wrote:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi again everyone,

I am starting to get the hang of this.  Is anyone on right now?  Excuse me  as I am feeling the glee of finally understaning how the threads work!  I am very glad to join you and look forward to diving into Love's Labour's Lost. 

O.B. :smileyhappy:   

Message Edited by OrangeBee on 11-30-2008 08:05 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

JIt's pretty intuitive board, OB, but if you have questions or can't figure something out, just ask.  We're a very friendly and helpful community!

OrangeBee wrote:

Hi again everyone,

I am starting to get the hang of this.  Is anyone on right now?  Excuse me  as I am feeling the glee of finally understaning how the threads work!  I am very glad to join you and look forward to diving into Love's Labour's Lost. 

O.B. :smileyhappy:   

Message Edited by OrangeBee on 11-30-2008 08:05 PM

0 Kudos

Hello all. My name is Christopher. I have been a bookseller for B&N  for over 3 years now. Just now discovered the book clubs on the website. Look forward to seeing how this all works and see if I can meet like-minded friends. Look forward to the future on the book clubs. Later, everyone.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

wickedwitchofhou wrote:
Hello all. My name is Christopher. I have been a bookseller for B&N  for over 3 years now. Just now discovered the book clubs on the website. Look forward to seeing how this all works and see if I can meet like-minded friends. Look forward to the future on the book clubs. Later, everyone.

Welcome, Christopher!  It'll be great having you with us.  Feel free to jump into the discussions at any time.  They're very flexible!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Marsboy
0 Kudos

I hope it's not too late to join.

I'm currently a student who is active in the school's drama department, the reason why I love Shakespeare now. I had to read Julius Caesar a couple years ago and was left baffled by Shakespeare's language and was even more confused since my teacher seemed like an expert.

The year after I participated in A Midsummer Night's Dream and was hooked. The next year I played Prince Hamlet in Hamlet. Since then, my love for Shakespeare's mastery of language and his ability to "hold a mirror up to nature" has entralled me.

My only problem with being in this group is I may not always have time to do the readings.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Marsboy wrote:

I hope it's not too late to join.

I'm currently a student who is active in the school's drama department, the reason why I love Shakespeare now. I had to read Julius Caesar a couple years ago and was left baffled by Shakespeare's language and was even more confused since my teacher seemed like an expert.

The year after I participated in A Midsummer Night's Dream and was hooked. The next year I played Prince Hamlet in Hamlet. Since then, my love for Shakespeare's mastery of language and his ability to "hold a mirror up to nature" has entralled me.

My only problem with being in this group is I may not always have time to do the readings.

Welcome, Marsboy!

It's actually never too late to join the BN.com book clubs.  The club is flexible, so you don't have to always stay with us on readings.  We tend to post a thread on individual acts as well, so you can pace your reading that way, too.  You can also post on any thread at any time; so, for instance, we featured Julius Caesar this fall, but you can still post on one of those threads if you'd like.

We may get to Hamlet in 2009.  It would be great to have your input on that play especially as someone who took on that challenging role!  I admire that!

Message Edited by ConnieK on 12-31-2008 04:36 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Queen_Gertrude
0 Kudos

HI!

I have recently been introduced to the greatness of the Bard, through my school. I played Queen Gertrude in my school's production of Hamlet in October. My director is obsessed with Shakespeare and through his constant talk about the Bard I have begun reading his plays and have found my new hobby.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

What a great way to come to know Shakespeare!

Queen_Gertrude wrote:

HI!

I have recently been introduced to the greatness of the Bard, through my school. I played Queen Gertrude in my school's production of Hamlet in October. My director is obsessed with Shakespeare and through his constant talk about the Bard I have begun reading his plays and have found my new hobby.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Queen_Gertrude wrote:

HI!

Welcome, Queen_Gertrude!  It's so interesting that you played this part before reading many plays.  We're glad to hear that you've been bitten by the bug!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
rose86
0 Kudos

I'm Rose, a retired teacher .  I haven't read Shakespeare since college, but thought I would give it a go!
Contributor
StevePerk1
0 Kudos

Hello Rose!  We're glad to have you join us.  (Though were you to go by any other name you would still be as welcome...)    Sorry - I couldn't resist.  :smileyhappy:

What subject did you teach?

rose86 wrote:
I'm Rose, a retired teacher .  I haven't read Shakespeare since college, but thought I would give it a go!

New User
persephone1
0 Kudos

Hello, I used to frequent these boards quite a bit when they were University, and now I am back, had to open a new account, but glad to be back.

I've always found myself going back to Shakespeare time and again.  I actually have the Complete Works, B&N special bound edition, which I refer to from time to time.  That is where I'm reading The Winter's Tale at present. 

Thank you for upstarting or reinvigorating the Shakespeare club.  Here's to the second time being the lucky charm.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 614 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: