Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!

Welcome back persephone. You'll be finding a lot of new features and of course miss some old ones too.  Enjoy. ........
persephone1 wrote:

Hello, I used to frequent these boards quite a bit when they were University, and now I am back, had to open a new account, but glad to be back.

I've always found myself going back to Shakespeare time and again.  I actually have the Complete Works, B&N special bound edition, which I refer to from time to time.  That is where I'm reading The Winter's Tale at present. 

Thank you for upstarting or reinvigorating the Shakespeare club.  Here's to the second time being the lucky charm.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

Hey everyone! My name is Lexi, and I'm gonna try to join you all in February for the disscussion of Othello. I just bought the book the other day, and heard it was a good book, so I thought I'd get it, read it, then disscuss it. Hope I can read it before the disscussion begins so I can join you!
~Lexi-Bear
New User
ConniePaige
0 Kudos

Hello - I haven't read Shakespeare since my college days a long, long time ago and am excited to do this just because I want to - not because it's required.  Looking forward to learning a lot!  Connie
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

rose86 wrote:
I'm Rose, a retired teacher .  I haven't read Shakespeare since college, but thought I would give it a go!

Welcome, Rose!  Shakespeare is timeless, as you know, so you can pick him back up at any time.  EnJOY!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

persephone1 wrote:

Hello, I used to frequent these boards quite a bit when they were University, and now I am back, had to open a new account, but glad to be back.

I've always found myself going back to Shakespeare time and again.  I actually have the Complete Works, B&N special bound edition, which I refer to from time to time.  That is where I'm reading The Winter's Tale at present. 

Thank you for upstarting or reinvigorating the Shakespeare club.  Here's to the second time being the lucky charm.

Welcome (back), persepehone!  We have a lively core group.  Many of them are currently splitting their time between here and the Classics Club where we're doing a special activity for the first few months of the year--we're reading alongside the Masterpiece Classics series on PBS.  You might see a little lighter activity here than normal because of that, but folks are around! 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

lexi-bear wrote:
Hey everyone! My name is Lexi, and I'm gonna try to join you all in February for the disscussion of Othello. I just bought the book the other day, and heard it was a good book, so I thought I'd get it, read it, then disscuss it. Hope I can read it before the disscussion begins so I can join you!

Welcome, Lexi!  Othello ought to be a hoot to discuss next month!  Glad to have you with us!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

ConniePaige wrote:
Hello - I haven't read Shakespeare since my college days a long, long time ago and am excited to do this just because I want to - not because it's required.  Looking forward to learning a lot!  Connie

Welcome, Connie!  And just think--no tests or papers!  I hope you enjoy the club. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
crossedcanoes
0 Kudos

I am new to this, although I did enjoy the University several years ago. 

I am looking forward to enriching my knowledge of Shakespeare through these discussions!    

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

crossedcanoes wrote:

I am new to this, although I did enjoy the University several years ago. 

I am looking forward to enriching my knowledge of Shakespeare through these discussions!    

Welcome, crossedcanoes!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Viola25
0 Kudos

I am a young professional women who is a practicing Massage Therapist in the NH area.
I grew up loving Shakspeare and had read the complete works by the time I graduated high school and still continue to read his works. I actually studied and acted some of Shakespeare's plays in high schoo! I am a Shakespeareaholic. I find it frustrating that so many people do not take the time  to understand the language in Shakespeare. Which makes me sad because they do not know what they are missing. That is one of the reasons I love Shakespeare so much is that you have to think about what he is saying.  I love all the writings of William Shakespeare(yes even the Sonnets)! I do like producations of the plays to stick to the main story line. Yet, I do like the Romeo & Juliet that stars Leonardo DiCapro and Clare Dane(1996). It gives the story an appeal to some people who would otherwise not watch it. 

ConnieK wrote:

Hello, Readers!

BN.com is reinvigorating the Shakespeare Book Club, and as the new moderator of the club, I'd like to hear from you.

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to me and the group.  What is your interest in Shakespeare?  What is your background in the bard? Are you a new reader?  An aficionado?  Involved in dramatic productions of the plays?  A dedicated reader still confused by the language?  Someone who adores Shakespeare's sonnets?  Let us know!

~ConnieK

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Chris, otherwise known as maxcat. I've just gotten into reading some Shakespeare lately and I want to read " The Tempest ". That's next on my list. I do have difficulty with the language but use Sparknotes online as it has the original text with the modern version next to it. Now if only my high school had this back then when we had to read Shakespeare.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
New User
AmitJ
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My name is Amit.  I'm going to try and keep up with reading Othello this month.  I haven't read Shakespeare for about 10 years, hopefully I'm not too rusty!

Amit

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Viola25 wrote:
  I am a young professional women who is a practicing Massage Therapist in the NH area.
I grew up loving Shakspeare and had read the complete works by the time I graduated high school and still continue to read his works. I actually studied and acted some of Shakespeare's plays in high schoo! I am a Shakespeareaholic. I find it frustrating that so many people do not take the time  to understand the language in Shakespeare. Which makes me sad because they do not know what they are missing. That is one of the reasons I love Shakespeare so much is that you have to think about what he is saying.  I love all the writings of William Shakespeare(yes even the Sonnets)! I do like producations of the plays to stick to the main story line. Yet, I do like the Romeo & Juliet that stars Leonardo DiCapro and Clare Dane(1996). It gives the story an appeal to some people who would otherwise not watch it. 

Welcome, Viola!  Shakespeare and massage?  Hmm.  Now, there's a combination many of our members might find tempting!  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:
Hi, I'm Chris, otherwise known as maxcat. I've just gotten into reading some Shakespeare lately and I want to read " The Tempest ". That's next on my list. I do have difficulty with the language but use Sparknotes online as it has the original text with the modern version next to it. Now if only my high school had this back then when we had to read Shakespeare.

Welcome to Shakespeare, maxcat! 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

AmitJ wrote:

Hi All,

My name is Amit.  I'm going to try and keep up with reading Othello this month.  I haven't read Shakespeare for about 10 years, hopefully I'm not too rusty!

Amit

Welcome, Amit!  I'm sure you'll find your reading ability and appreciation come back as you sink into that lovely language once again.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
oldtom
0 Kudos

I live in Wisconsin. I am 66 and working in ministry. I have liked Shakespeare since high school days. I try to see one or two of his plays each year, wherever I can find them. I have even been at the Globe in London, which was exciting, coupled with a "Shakespeare Walking Tour"  I can get confused by the language, but it seldom makes me lose track of the action. But history and background information is always helpful. I'm looking forward to participating.

Tom

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

oldtom wrote:

I live in Wisconsin. I am 66 and working in ministry. I have liked Shakespeare since high school days. I try to see one or two of his plays each year, wherever I can find them. I have even been at the Globe in London, which was exciting, coupled with a "Shakespeare Walking Tour"  I can get confused by the language, but it seldom makes me lose track of the action. But history and background information is always helpful. I'm looking forward to participating.

Tom

And we're very glad to have you, Tom!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
classically_obsessed
0 Kudos

Hi,

Umm, this is my first club thingy that I have ever replied to.  I don't fully understand what this club is truly about but what I do know is that I love Shakespeare.  i was hoping this would be a good starting club and it would help me better understand and enjoy Shakespeare even more.  I don't have much experience with his writing since I just started reading his works.  So here goes my reply thing...

I am "classically_obsessed" and have a new found love of Shakespeare.  English I, my freshman year in high school, we read Romeo and Juliet.  I fell in love with it immediately.  I have only read As You Like It thus far, along with some of his many sonnets.  We are currently reading Julius Caesar in English II and I find it very intriqueing.  I own the Complete Works of William Shakespeare but I find myself unable to choose a play to read.  I have now read a tragedy, a comedy and a history and I have liked them all so far. 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

classically_obsessed wrote:

Hi,

Umm, this is my first club thingy that I have ever replied to.  I don't fully understand what this club is truly about but what I do know is that I love Shakespeare.  i was hoping this would be a good starting club and it would help me better understand and enjoy Shakespeare even more.  I don't have much experience with his writing since I just started reading his works.  So here goes my reply thing...

I am "classically_obsessed" and have a new found love of Shakespeare.  English I, my freshman year in high school, we read Romeo and Juliet.  I fell in love with it immediately.  I have only read As You Like It thus far, along with some of his many sonnets.  We are currently reading Julius Caesar in English II and I find it very intriqueing.  I own the Complete Works of William Shakespeare but I find myself unable to choose a play to read.  I have now read a tragedy, a comedy and a history and I have liked them all so far. 

Welcome, obsessed!  We're glad to have you here.  We typically read and talk about 1 play per month.  In March, we're focusing on Twelfth Night.  We did Julius Caesar last fall, but the threads are all still here, so you're welcome to read through them and add comments if you like.  People read new comments on the older threads all the time, and many will add to what you say.

I hope you enjoy your exploration of Shakespeare!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
marylis
0 Kudos

This is my maiden voyage into online groups. Not sure how this works. And what is a
"tag"?

Shakespeare's plays have been an important part of my life since I first was introduced to them by a high school English teacher to whom I've always been grateful. It was Julius Caesar and since then I've seen many, many productions of the plays. I've also had the opportunity to read and study them in the US and England. I would be happy to discuss the plays with other afficionados.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 766 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: