Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!

ybeltorres wrote:

Hello. I was wondering if i could still join your book club? I am 20 years old and an avid reader! However, I dont fare too well with Shakespeare... I find it a bit difficult to understand now that I don't have a teacher breaking things down for me. I am determined not to give up yet, so i was hoping this would help! :smileyhappy:

Welcome, ybeltorres!  Oh, of course!  Membership is continuous at all of the BN.com Book Clubs, and we all LOVE new members!  As for Shakespeare--not to worry.  What's great about a book club is that there are no tests or exams or papers to write!  People have different levels of reading experience, understanding, etc.  We're all here just because we enjoy WS, not because any of us is an expert or Shakespearean scholar (though, we do occasionally have members who are experienced readers, and they help a lot!).  So, feel free to ask all the questions you like, ok?  I think this is the perfect forum for what you're looking for.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Rivers3167
0 Kudos

Re: November, 2009 Selection for Shakespeare Book Club

Hi!

I'm new to this book club. I enjoy reading Shakespeare, especially his sonnets. Sonnet 116 being my favorite. I must admit his writings do go over my head a bit. I understand that for November the selection is The Merchant of Venice. I remember reading it in college but that was a while back.

I would like to know a little more about the club & how it works. Thanks!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: November, 2009 Selection for Shakespeare Book Club

Rivers3167 wrote:

Hi!

I'm new to this book club. I enjoy reading Shakespeare, especially his sonnets. Sonnet 116 being my favorite. I must admit his writings do go over my head a bit. I understand that for November the selection is The Merchant of Venice. I remember reading it in college but that was a while back.

Welcome, Rivers3167!  We're glad to have you. I moved your post and my reply to our "Introductions" thread.

We love the sonnets, too, and return to them several times a year.  We just spent a good part of the summer with them and will return, and we tend to schedule them for National Poetry Month in April. We've been reading them in order and pick up where we left off the last time!

Yes; we're ending KING LEAR this week and will soon begin MERCHANT OF VENICE.  Basically, we divide the play into acts to discuss each week, but we also have a "whole play" thread where readers can post about anything in the play. There are several other threads as well, usually one about the play in performance, movie versions, etc. or characters or specific themes or questions that come up in discussion.

Feel free to join in to the discussion anywhere at anytime.  The other threads on the board are also always "open" for adding to the discussion at any point.  If you have something you'd like to ask or comment about for LEAR, for example, you can still do that after our month "featuring" that play is over.

Make sense?

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the club at any time, and I or a fellow member will try to answer.

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader 2
Mosquito52
0 Kudos

I read Merchant of Venice in hight school, some 40 yrs ago.  Really liked the play.  I hope to join you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mosquito52 wrote:

I read Merchant of Venice in hight school, some 40 yrs ago.  Really liked the play.  I hope to join you.

Oh, please do join us, Mosquito52!  Many people read it in high school and not since.  Interesting, isn't it?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
dragonsscape
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

:smileyhappy: G'day. Ever since 12th grade I've liked Shadespeare. Had a wonderful English Lit professor, Mr Carpenter, who was one of the world~recognized Shakespearian scholars at that time. In fact, the year after I graduated (1965) he was invited to "read" (i.e., teach) at Cambridge University in England. At any rate, he inspired me to really get into the "books", to get to the history & culture behind the language of the plays (so t speak). I have read several of the plays & even managed to visit the original site of the Globe Theatre in London as well as his home(s) in Stratford~upon~Avon. I also enjoyed very much Sir Ian McKellen's "Acting Shakespeare" which I caught on PBS when it was originally aired. He is such a wonderful Shakespearian actor & his one~man performance in that film taught me the majesty of Shakespeare's words as they would've been spoken by the characters/actors of that (or any other) time. And finally there are those wonderful films by Ken Branagh ~~ filling the plays with humour, a joie d'vivre, exuberance & the lyricalality of Shakespeare's language. Yes, I have to say I am a Shakespeare fan to the bone. 

dragonsscape
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

dragonsscape wrote:

:smileyhappy: G'day. Ever since 12th grade I've liked Shadespeare. Had a wonderful English Lit professor, Mr Edwards, who was one of the recognized Shakespearian scholars in the world at that time. In fact, the year after I graduated (1965) he was invited to "read" (i.e., teach) at Cambridge University in England. At any rate, he inspired me to really get into the "books", to get to the history & culture behind the language of the plays (so t speak). I have read several of the plays & even managed to visit the original site of Shakespeare's theater in London as well as his home(s) in Stratford~upon~Avon. I also enjoyed very much Sir Ian McKellen's "Acting Shakespeare" which I caught on PBS when it was originally aired. He is such a wonderful Shakespearian actor & his one~man performance in that film taught me the majesty of Shakespeare's words as they would've been spoken by the actors of that (or any other) time. And finally there are those wonderful films by Ken Branagh ~~ filling the plays with humour, a joie d'vivre, exuberance & the lyricalality of Shakespeare's language. Yes, I have to say I am a Shakespeare fan to the bone. 

It's terrific to have you with us, dragonsscape!  Join in any time on any thread, wherever your interest takes you!  Have fun!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Correspondent
B_Lux
0 Kudos

I like Shakespeare, but as mentioned by others, have a with some of the language.  The other things that throw me are the colloquialisms that pop up.  Meaningful to the readers of the day, but a little more obscure for me.  I'm glad that there is a place to ask questions about these things.  I am looking forward to a great learning experience here.

B.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

B_Lux wrote:

I like Shakespeare, but as mentioned by others, have a with some of the language.  The other things that throw me are the colloquialisms that pop up.  Meaningful to the readers of the day, but a little more obscure for me.  I'm glad that there is a place to ask questions about these things.  I am looking forward to a great learning experience here.

B.

Fantastic, B_Lux!  Great to have you join us.  There are many levels of Shakespearean readers here--from newbies and students to longtime readers and former and current professors.  Please feel free to ask questions any time.  Readers of all levels of experience love to share their interest in Shakespeare!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Avid_Book_Reader10
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I love Shakespeare, and was introduced to him with Romeo and Juliet in 7th grade. Since then, I've read The Merchant of Venice, Measure for Measure, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, The Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest, Twelfth Night, Hamlet, King Lear, Macbeth, Othello, Titus Andronicus, Richard III, Henry V, King John, and the Sonnets. I've seen Midsummer, Two Gentlemen of Verona, and Much Ado onstage and have performed a few monologues of Lady Anne from Richard III in high school theatre. I've also taken 3 courses in college: Intro to Shakespeare, Shakespeare Before 1600, and Shakespeare After 1600. Books about Shakespeare that I have read are The Essential Shakespeare Handbook and Shakespeare After All by Marjorie Garber.

Can't wait to discuss the Bard!

Let books be your dining table,
And you shall be full of delights
Let them be your mattress
And you shall sleep restful nights.
~Author Unknown
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Avid_Book_Reader10 wrote:

Hi all!

I love Shakespeare, and was introduced to him with Romeo and Juliet in 7th grade. Since then, I've read The Merchant of Venice, Measure for Measure, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, The Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest, Twelfth Night, Hamlet, King Lear, Macbeth, Othello, Titus Andronicus, Richard III, Henry V, King John, and the Sonnets. I've seen Midsummer, Two Gentlemen of Verona, and Much Ado onstage and have performed a few monologues of Lady Anne from Richard III in high school theatre. I've also taken 3 courses in college: Intro to Shakespeare, Shakespeare Before 1600, and Shakespeare After 1600. Books about Shakespeare that I have read are The Essential Shakespeare Handbook and Shakespeare After All by Marjorie Garber.

Can't wait to discuss the Bard!

Welcome, Avid!  You certainly do seem to have a serious interest in Shakespeare. It will be great having you with us.  We've just finished another month of looking at the sonnets, which we do periodically throughout the year, and now we're moving on to our next play in January.  I'm not sure I see this play on your list, so maybe it will be a newer one for you to consider:  As You Like It.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Introductions

[ Edited ]

Rivers3167 wrote:

Hi!

Welcome (again, I believe?), Rivers!  It's great to have you with us here in the Shakespeare Book Club.  Generally, the club works this way--B&N chooses a featured play for a month or two. We set up threads to discuss the play by Act (if you'd like to discuss as you read) or by the "whole play" (anywhere you'd like), or other topics.  Members are also free to start threads on other topics related to the play that interest them (themes, e.g.).  Then we switch to a new play the next month, etc.  Certain months in the year, we return to the sonnets.  We've been reading them in order.  Over all of this, members are also encouraged to start threads about general topics in Shakespeare, such as your favorite Shakespearean character, scene, passage, etc. from any title; books of biography, criticism, culture/history, etc.

I hope this helps--if not, please do let me know!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
chinookrayne
0 Kudos

Hi ConnieK,

I was very glad to find this group.  I began reading Shakespeare in 1989 and have read all of his works at least once in a long term Shakespeare reading group.  Alas, all of the members, except me, have passed away and I've been looking for another way to experience Shakespeare.  I've seen lots and lots of plays, as well as videos, and "As You Like It" is my favorite play.   It was also the first one I saw performed live.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

chinookrayne wrote:

Hi ConnieK,

I was very glad to find this group.  I began reading Shakespeare in 1989 and have read all of his works at least once in a long term Shakespeare reading group.  Alas, all of the members, except me, have passed away and I've been looking for another way to experience Shakespeare.  I've seen lots and lots of plays, as well as videos, and "As You Like It" is my favorite play.   It was also the first one I saw performed live.

Welcome, chinookrayne!  It's great to have you with us.  Discussion in our Shakespeare club seems to vary.  Recently, it's been rather quiet, but it only takes 2 to get a conversation going!  What's fun about these online clubs is that you never know when/how many people will show up at any given time to talk about the plays and poems and Shakespearean happenings.

I hope you'll go down to the "Whole Play" thread and tell us why AS YOU LIKE IT is your favorite play.  I'd like to know, and I'm sure other members would, too! 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader 2
Mosquito52
0 Kudos

I hope to be here for Hamlet.  I have never read that play but have heard about it all my life through various sources.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Mosquito52 wrote:

I hope to be here for Hamlet.  I have never read that play but have heard about it all my life through various sources.

Mosquito -- look forward to your comments. 

I don't find Shakespeare easy to read, but I enjoy seeing his plays performed.  I don't go that often, but over the years I have accumulated a few.

I did just see Jude Law portray Hamlet on Broadway in November.  As I have said elsewhere, I was very, very impressed with his performance and was glad to had the chance to attend.  For once, I did some preparation before going, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to follow the Elizabethian English, since it had been awhile since I had gone to a Shakepearian performance.   The DVD that I really appreciated was the film by Kenneth Branagh, although the man sitting in front of us expressed the view that he used the performance with Oliver as his standard.   For much of the performance from Branagh, I was also able to follow the text directly from the book, which is not true of many others, which shorten or alter the sequence of the action. 

I don't know whether it was the quality of the actor's voices or the preparation (or both), but I was able to follow and quite enjoy the Broadway performance.  The farce, awkward play-within-a-play, sentimental love, family squabbles, political intrique, graveyard humor, and high tragedy all collaborate to make this a tour de force.  I hope you get to see and hear Hamlet as well as read it.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mosquito52 wrote:

Welcome, Mosquito52!  I know what you mean--sometimes, you've just heard of a title for so long, you want to read it for yourself and see what all the fuss is about!  Ha.  I hope you'll feel free to hop right in to our discussions!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Kauai-Guy
0 Kudos

I see that you're discussing Hamlet which is on my reading list. Right now I'm finishing up, The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet by Myrlin Hermes. It's a deconstructed version of Hamlet. Once I'm through I'll pick up the play and join your discussion. I'm glad I found this thread.

Best Wishes,

Rob

My blog: Books Are Like Candy Corn

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Kauai-Guy wrote:

I see that you're discussing Hamlet which is on my reading list. Right now I'm finishing up, The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet by Myrlin Hermes. It's a deconstructed version of Hamlet. Once I'm through I'll pick up the play and join your discussion. I'm glad I found this thread.

Best Wishes,

Rob

My blog: Books Are Like Candy Corn

Hi, Rob!  Great to have you with us.  Yes; feel free to jump right in with the HAMLET discussion!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
Wolfgirl22
0 Kudos

Hey, I'm Jessica =)

I am not a new BN user, I actually had this account for a while now, but the only book club i have been going to is the Teen Reads, since I'm only 17......ok, I lied. I'm 16, but i will be 17 in 2 more weeks. I just wanna start saying that i am 17 =)

I really love Shakespear......but I'm not sure why, I just really do.

http://psykhe22.blogspot.com/
http://psykhe22-challenge.blogspot.com/

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 210 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: