Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Krista
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hello everyone.  I haven't been around for quite some time and am looking forward to joining in on the discussions again.  I see that there have been good changes made to the format of the clubs :womanvery-happy: 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome (back), Krista!  I hope you'll feel free to jump right in and post away.  Thanks for your support!

~ConnieK

Krista wrote:

Hello everyone.  I haven't been around for quite some time and am looking forward to joining in on the discussions again.  I see that there have been good changes made to the format of the clubs :womanvery-happy: 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

Like others, I read a few plays in high school and have been regularly entertained by Shakespeare in the Park performances.

As I mentioned in another thread, I was recently loaned The Teaching Company course on Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories and Tragedies and have been working my way through it. (Because I didn't want to OD on Shakespeare--so many books! so little time!! I plan to take about a year doing it.

I recently finished listened to the audiobook of Shakespeare by Bill Bryson and was highly entertained and recommend it.

For all the other mundane details, I included a link to my LibraryThing profile on my profile page here.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, streamsong!

We look forward to hearing your impressions of the topics brought up here.

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Glad to hear of the resurrection Connie!

I am Choisya, a retiree from Over the Pond and since I live only 20 miles from London on a good train line, I often get to see Shakespeare at the Globe and the National.  I have seen most of the best productions over the years and most of the best actors too, starting with Donald Wolfit at Stratford-upon-Avon in 1948.  I like to see innovative productions - there were innovations in Shakespeare's day and I like to see them continuing.   I saw Tim Supple's Indian-Sri Lankan Midsummer Night's Dream at The Roundhouse last year, which included trapeze artists and acrobats as fairies - I loved it!  I hope some of you get to see it over there.  On the other hand, the RSC is currently doing a version based on British fox hunting!

SPOILER: Connie mentions the political relevance of Julius Caesar and a recent production by The Royal Shakespeare Company places the emphasis on a leader's ambition.  You can see a couple of clips here.

This famous company have a good website and extracts from several productions can be viewed online. 

I love to watch Shakespeare more than read him because he was a playright first and foremost and therefore his work is meant to be watched.  But I will enjoy discussing his wonderful writing with folks here too and I am sure we will be able to create some wonderful scenes in our minds' eyes:smileyhappy:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Delighted to have a "Londonite," so to speak, in the group, Choisya!  The group can only benefit from your many views of the plays right on the "home" stage in their mother country.  Thanks for joining us!  I suspect we'll be calling on you a lot for the "local" perspective!  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieK

Choisya wrote:

Glad to hear of the resurrection Connie!

I am Choisya, a retiree from Over the Pond and since I live only 20 miles from London on a good train line, I often get to see Shakespeare at the Globe and the National.  I have seen most of the best productions over the years and most of the best actors too, starting with Donald Wolfit at Stratford-upon-Avon in 1948.  I like to see innovative productions - there were innovations in Shakespeare's day and I like to see them continuing.   I saw Tim Supple's Indian-Sri Lankan Midsummer Night's Dream at The Roundhouse last year, which included trapeze artists and acrobats as fairies - I loved it!  I hope some of you get to see it over there.  On the other hand, the RSC is currently doing a version based on British fox hunting!

SPOILER: Connie mentions the political relevance of Julius Caesar and a recent production by The Royal Shakespeare Company places the emphasis on a leader's ambition.  You can see a couple of clips here.

This famous company have a good website and extracts from several productions can be viewed online. 

I love to watch Shakespeare more than read him because he was a playright first and foremost and therefore his work is meant to be watched.  But I will enjoy discussing his wonderful writing with folks here too and I am sure we will be able to create some wonderful scenes in our minds' eyes:smileyhappy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
EnglishTeach
0 Kudos

Hello all.  I am looking forward to discussing Julius Caesar.  I am an English teacher and have taught Caesar to sophomores.  Unfortunately, most fifteen and sixteen year olds do not "discuss" literature but rather merely listen to the teacher  It will be refreshing to discuss different aspects of the play with others that choose to read the play. 

Best,

EnglishTeach

New User
CoffeeGirl626
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm CoffeeGirl and I am new to this. I am a college student who started out as a literature major, but have since switched majors to early childhood education. I thoroughly enjoyed discussing literature with my peers as a literature major, and I found this book club through a desperate attempt to keep that passion burning. I chose this Shakespeare book club because to be honest I have only read one piece of Shakespeare, and I am anxious to read and learn more about this literary great!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, EnglishTeach!  I'm thrilled to have you with us!  Will you be teaching the play this fall?  I'd love to hear how it's going and what techniques you use to help bring the play alive for your students!

Thanks for coming!

~ConnieK

EnglishTeach wrote:

Hello all.  I am looking forward to discussing Julius Caesar.  I am an English teacher and have taught Caesar to sophomores.  Unfortunately, most fifteen and sixteen year olds do not "discuss" literature but rather merely listen to the teacher  It will be refreshing to discuss different aspects of the play with others that choose to read the play. 

Best,

EnglishTeach

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, CoffeeGirl626!  I'm pleased to make your acquaintance here at BN.com Book Clubs.  Out of so many clubs, I'm glad you chose to stop in here and chat with us!  All viewpoints and opinions are welcome, so jump right in whenever you have time.  We'll try to keep the fire burning for you in your love of literature!  We all love it, too!  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieK

CoffeeGirl626 wrote:

Hi, I'm CoffeeGirl and I am new to this. I am a college student who started out as a literature major, but have since switched majors to early childhood education. I thoroughly enjoyed discussing literature with my peers as a literature major, and I found this book club through a desperate attempt to keep that passion burning. I chose this Shakespeare book club because to be honest I have only read one piece of Shakespeare, and I am anxious to read and learn more about this literary great!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Welcome, RTA. Sounds as though you're going to fit in wonderfully

RTA wrote:

Hey there.  I just joined B&N book clubs on the suggestion of a fellow reader.  I’m hoping to jump in on the Julius Caesar discussion in September.  I’ve read a bit of Shakespeare here and there, both in school and for pleasure.  I once had a row with a lit. professor about whether Shakespeare could be legitimately considered a “feminist” writer.  And that was probably my most interesting encounter with Shakespeare.  I’ve attended performances both professional and at universities.  The only production I’ve ever worked on myself was A Midsummer Night’s Dream.  I look forward to discussion.

But, before I sign off, I just wanted to reply to the following:

Everyman wrote:

In approaching the plays, I tend to be a fairly staunch traditionalist.  I don't like directors who feel tha they have to put their stamp on the plays by some bizarre interpretation (Richard as a Nazi) or staging (bicycles in Midsummer Night's Dream.)  What's wrong with doing Shakespeare as Shakespeare wrote it?  If you want to do a play with bicycles, find one written for them or have one written for you.  Humph!

It seems, to me, that this establishes a sort of Shakespearian dualism that doesn’t really reflect my experience with his work.  I don’t consider myself to be a “staunch traditionalist;” but, I also don’t appreciate productions where it’s evident the director stamped the work with “some bizarre interpretation” either.  That is I think one can do “Shakespeare as Shakespeare wrote it” without necessarily remaining unflinchingly acquiescent to traditional staging.  The works themselves are raw as far as stage direction is concerned, and the universality of many of the themes can justify varied settings.  As long as the interpretation remains true to the work itself, I’m open to the possibility that diverse settings and costuming can house many of these works. 

And rather than try to describe a favorite non-traditional piece that I once saw on stage, I’ll submit Julie Taymor’s Titus as a work that I think, though not traditional, remains true to the Bard.  From cars and motorcycles to costuming that reflects both fascist and modern garb, Taymor’s stylistic anachronisms are obvious.  However, I think the film, even with its changes, remains a faithful interpretation of the piece, and I would certainly never tag it as faux, or sugar-coated Shakespeare. 

here.  I look forward to some great discussions with you.
0 Kudos

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, RTA!  And thank you for your very thoughtful comments on staging/interpretations.  I can see that September is going to be a great time already around the boards!

~ConnieK

RTA wrote:

Hey there.  I just joined B&N book clubs on the suggestion of a fellow reader.  I’m hoping to jump in on the Julius Caesar discussion in September.  I’ve read a bit of Shakespeare here and there, both in school and for pleasure.  I once had a row with a lit. professor about whether Shakespeare could be legitimately considered a “feminist” writer.  And that was probably my most interesting encounter with Shakespeare.  I’ve attended performances both professional and at universities.  The only production I’ve ever worked on myself was A Midsummer Night’s Dream.  I look forward to discussion.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Bolognaking
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Bolognaking.  I am a Shakespeare enthusiast and am interested in the plays both as the object of study in high school and university and also from the production standpoint.  I have had the opportunity to see live productions in London England, Stratford Ontario and elsewhere in Canada.  I also have a huge collection of video recordings of films, TV productions and live performances of the plays and a number of audio recordings as well.

I enjoy innovative productions as well as traditional ones, but insist that Shakespeare's language be retained.  If someone else wrote the script, even if it's the same story, it aint Shakespeare.

I'm looking forward to joining discussions on this message board.

"We're actors - we're the opposite of people" - Tom Stoppard
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome, Bolognaking!

Glad to have you with us!  I've been to the Stratford, Ontario, theaters as well.  What fun!

~ConnieK

Bolognaking wrote:

Hello, my name is Bolognaking.  I am a Shakespeare enthusiast and am interested in the plays both as the object of study in high school and university and also from the production standpoint.  I have had the opportunity to see live productions in London England, Stratford Ontario and elsewhere in Canada.  I also have a huge collection of video recordings of films, TV productions and live performances of the plays and a number of audio recordings as well.

I enjoy innovative productions as well as traditional ones, but insist that Shakespeare's language be retained.  If someone else wrote the script, even if it's the same story, it aint Shakespeare.

I'm looking forward to joining discussions on this message board.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-20-2008 04:42 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Benedict
0 Kudos

Hi,

I’ve read Julius Caesar so many times myself, and haven’t had an avenue to discuss it with others.  I have my entrenched opinions, and am looking forward to hearing other points of view.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 506 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: