Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
chris_poe
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi,

My name is Chris.  My only experience reading Shakespeare is whatever I read in high school.  I loved it then but I am finding I am still confused by the language.  I am looking forward to reading Julius Caesar.  Also it my first time participating in a Book Club. 

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Oh, is that what was going on? I saw it but could not figure out whether it even had a setting. I don't recommend it, though I saw other things there this season that were very good.

dogearedcopy wrote:

As I'm still getting my feet wet, I think I'll  stick to Julius Caeser.

That said, there is a re-interpretation of MND at Oregon Shakespeare Festival whereby the whole of it is set in a disco a la Studio 54. I may just have grit my teeth and go see it now...

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Chris!  The online book clubs are great--you don't need to leave your house (if you have a home computer, of course) for a meeting, and you can tune in and participate at your own leisure and convenience. 

Julius Caesar is a good play, in terms of the language challenges, I think, with which to get your feet wet, so to speak.  Just so you know, the B&N paperback edition has a layout where the text is on the right-hand page and explanatory notes appear on the left-hand page.  That format is helpful for many readers.  Other editions use this technique as well.

We look forward to your joining us!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
dogearedcopy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Would you by any chance be local to Southern Oregon?

Laurel wrote:

Oh, is that what was going on? I saw it but could not figure out whether it even had a setting. I don't recommend it, though I saw other things there this season that were very good.

Message Edited by dogearedcopy on 09-04-2008 03:37 PM
Stay Cool & Keep the Faith
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I'm in northern Washington, but I've made the trip down there three times for a week each time. It's great fun!Laurel

dogearedcopy wrote:

Would you by any chance be local to Southern Oregon?

Laurel wrote:

Message Edited by dogearedcopy on 09-04-2008 03:37 PM

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
anaifrs
0 Kudos

HELLO. My name is Ana, and I have been yearning a book club for the longest timeI absolutely enjoy all genres, but am incredibly obsessed with Shakespeare and the internal struggle of all his charactersI enjoy his sonnets almost as much as his plays, but more importantly, I just like to peer into his complicated tales

Generally, I read once a day, but have been a little preoccupied with work and have been lazyI need to connect with my fellow Shakespearans once more, since Shakespeare is a never-ending discussion.

I look forward to being a part of this!

*ANA*
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Welcome, Ana!  You're absolutely right about Shakespeare.  Glad to have you here.

anaifrs wrote:

HELLO. My name is Ana, and I have been yearning a book club for the longest timeI absolutely enjoy all genres, but am incredibly obsessed with Shakespeare and the internal struggle of all his charactersI enjoy his sonnets almost as much as his plays, but more importantly, I just like to peer into his complicated tales

Generally, I read once a day, but have been a little preoccupied with work and have been lazyI need to connect with my fellow Shakespearans once more, since Shakespeare is a never-ending discussion.

0 Kudos

anaifrs wrote:

Welcome, Ana!  You'll find many fans of Shakespeare here in the book club.  And yes; we've already begun that never-ending discussion you speak of!  Ha.  We hope you'll jump right in!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Bolognaking
0 Kudos

anaifrs wrote:

Welcome Ana!  If you want a never-ending discussion, you need look no further than the "Legitimacy" thread on this site.
"We're actors - we're the opposite of people" - Tom Stoppard
Contributor
ashred1226
0 Kudos

Hi There!

My name is Ashley, you can call me Ash or Ashley, doesn't matter. I have been reading Shakespeare for years now, but to be honest I haven't read any in about 3 years! I know a LONG time. I can't wait to read MacBeth with everyone! Talk to you soon!

~*Ash*~
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

ashred1226 wrote:

Hi There!

My name is Ashley, you can call me Ash or Ashley, doesn't matter. I have been reading Shakespeare for years now, but to be honest I haven't read any in about 3 years! I know a LONG time. I can't wait to read MacBeth with everyone! Talk to you soon!

Welcome, Ashley!  Yes; Macbeth should be fun in October! 

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Literatech
0 Kudos

Hello,  I am new to the book club.  I enjoy the plays of Shakespeare but didn't always.  I became hooked after attending a live performance.  I think it was Hamlet.  I then read the play again, and again.   I look forward to discussing his plays with others who also enjoy  and appreciate the bard. 
Reader
WomBat
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,  I'm Tracy.  I look forward to discussing MacBeth with all of you in October!  Is MacBeth truly the only Shakespeare play in which the hero is a villain?
New User
Literatech
0 Kudos

Hello WomBat,  I always thought Titus A was villainous. 
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Literatech!

Hope you enjoy the forum!

~ConnieK

Literatech wrote:
Hello,  I am new to the book club.  I enjoy the plays of Shakespeare but didn't always.  I became hooked after attending a live performance.  I think it was Hamlet.  I then read the play again, and again.   I look forward to discussing his plays with others who also enjoy  and appreciate the bard. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

WomBat wrote:
Hello everyone,  I'm Tracy.  I look forward to discussing MacBeth with all of you in October!  Is MacBeth truly the only Shakespeare play in which the hero is a villain?

Welcome, Tracy/WomBat!  We start Macbeth on October 6 and will be glad to have you with us.  I'll let our club members contemplate and possibly respond to your question!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
mildone
0 Kudos

Re: mildone

It's been a long time since I have participated in a Barnes and Nobles Book Club but I am excited about activating my self in the study Julius Caesar. I forgot how to introduce myself since I have had extensive surgery and am a little confused mentally but I am an eager learner. I will profit from the participants insights since I find it difficult typing ,constructing proper sentences , and correct spelling. It took a lot of time just typing this sentence. I am not offering excuses but just happy to be able to type a reasonably intelligent paragaph. Happy to be back.

mildone

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

mildone wrote:

It's been a long time since I have participated in a Barnes and Nobles Book Club but I am excited about activating my self in the study Julius Caesar. I forgot how to introduce myself since I have had extensive surgery and am a little confused mentally but I am an eager learner. I will profit from the participants insights since I find it difficult typing ,constructing proper sentences , and correct spelling. It took a lot of time just typing this sentence. I am not offering excuses but just happy to be able to type a reasonably intelligent paragaph. Happy to be back.

mildone

Welcome back, mildone!  We are pleased to have you with us!

We never know what conditions people are working under from behind their computer screens, so please know that we will be supportive and understanding of your typing abilities in posting.  Not to worry--Enjoy!  :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Hi, Robert. It's good to see you again! Laurel

mildone wrote:

mildone

Contributor
StevePerk1
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I hope it isn't too late to join the Macbeth discussion group.  I coincidentally happened to start reading it just last week and I know I would benefit greatly from people's thoughts and comments.  I love to read and have always loved Shakespeare.  It's always amazed me how something so presumably dusty and old can be so rich, vital and engaging with a little work invested on my part! 

As for me, I'm an electrical engineer living in the Los Angeles area.  My job, wife and two kids (4 and 2) don't leave me a whole lot of time to read (or probably post), but I'd sure love to hang around and participate as much as I can.

--Steve

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 21 members 188 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: