Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!

Welcome.

How this works is simple.  You've already gotten signed in and found this board (board means subject -- in this case Shakespeare).

You can either reply to a post if it's in a thread or topic you want to add on to.  Or you can use the New Message feature to start an entirely new thread (in some boards; in others, only the moderator can start new threads, in order to keep things organized).  

Have you seen any productions of Twelfth Night?  There's a separate thread for discussing those. 

Anyhow, just read and share  your thoughts.  We're all friends here, so don't be shy!

marylis wrote:

This is my maiden voyage into online groups. Not sure how this works. And what is a
"tag"?

Shakespeare's plays have been an important part of my life since I first was introduced to them by a high school English teacher to whom I've always been grateful. It was Julius Caesar and since then I've seen many, many productions of the plays. I've also had the opportunity to read and study them in the US and England. I would be happy to discuss the plays with other afficionados.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

marylis wrote:

This is my maiden voyage into online groups. Not sure how this works. And what is a
"tag"?

Shakespeare's plays have been an important part of my life since I first was introduced to them by a high school English teacher to whom I've always been grateful. It was Julius Caesar and since then I've seen many, many productions of the plays. I've also had the opportunity to read and study them in the US and England. I would be happy to discuss the plays with other afficionados.

Welcome, marylis!  I know it can sometimes give you an uneasy feeling to post for the first time.  Will it show up?  Will it be in the right place, etc.?  You did great!

We're pleased to have you here.  The Shakespeare Book Club is always open--24/7, so you have the convenience of reading and posting at your own pace.

The tags are a relatively new feature here on the boards.  As I think I understand them (to be honest, I haven't used them myself yet) they give you the ability to put topic tags on posts so that you can search for them under headings that have meaning for you.  I can find out more about this, if you'd like.  (I should understand them better, really, so your post may get me moving on trying them out).  Possibly another of our members uses this feature and can comment further.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 03-05-2009 09:57 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Related to tags and tagging.  Here's Jon_B's original post on this new feature.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
SusanHG
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I've been following the Classics Book Club for a while now when I noticed that Twelfth Night is being discussed in March.  Both Jane Austen and Twelfth Night?  I'm in heaven.  Now all we need is some E.M. Forster....

Very happy to join!

Susan

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

SusanHG wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I've been following the Classics Book Club for a while now when I noticed that Twelfth Night is being discussed in March.  Both Jane Austen and Twelfth Night?  I'm in heaven.  Now all we need is some E.M. Forster....

Very happy to join!

Susan

Welcome, Susan.  We're very happy to have you join!  Many of the same folks on Classics are over here as well. 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Literary_AMP
0 Kudos

Good day to you all!

My name is Ann, and I greatly enjoy Shakespeare, and have since being required to read him in school. My favorite play (that I have read thus far) is As You Like It. Although it is difficult to choose only one as a stand out favorite I find that piece offers something new everytime I reread it. I find the thing that draws me to his works is his incessant ability to transend time with his relatable characters and situations. He is a great joy to read and study from.

Glad to have found this board! :smileyhappy:

"I'm just trying to matter." -June Carter Cash

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."-John Lennon
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Literary_AMP wrote:

Good day to you all!

My name is Ann, and I greatly enjoy Shakespeare, and have since being required to read him in school. My favorite play (that I have read thus far) is As You Like It. Although it is difficult to choose only one as a stand out favorite I find that piece offers something new everytime I reread it. I find the thing that draws me to his works is his incessant ability to transend time with his relatable characters and situations. He is a great joy to read and study from.

Glad to have found this board! :smileyhappy:

Welcome, Ann!  We're glad you found this board, too.  Jump right in any time.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
sabrina_909
0 Kudos

Hey, names Alice

I've always loved shakespeare.

I've especially love A Midsummer's night's dream. I mean i love the whole love square and, you got to admit that fairies are cool, and Puck (or Robin Goodfellow) is Awesome!!!

I still remenber the last lone from the play....

'If we shadows have offended

Think but this and all is mended

That you have slumbered here

While these visions did appear'

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

sabrina_909 wrote:

Hey, names Alice

I've always loved shakespeare.

I've especially love A Midsummer's night's dream. I mean i love the whole love square and, you got to admit that fairies are cool, and Puck (or Robin Goodfellow) is Awesome!!!

I still remenber the last lone from the play....

'If we shadows have offended

Think but this and all is mended

That you have slumbered here

While these visions did appear'

Welcome, Alice!  Those lines are so lovely, aren't they?  Jump on in to the club any time.  We're talking about the sonnets this month!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
LalQ
0 Kudos

I have always wanted to learn more about Shakespeare and study his plays.  My grandfather and Uncle used to rattle off quotes and they knew every one of Shakespeare's Plays. 

They have since passed and no one in our entire family knows a stitch about Shakespeare.  I hope that I can start my journey and learn about his plays in a friendly environment. 

I'm glad I found this book club! 

LALQ
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

LalQ wrote:

I have always wanted to learn more about Shakespeare and study his plays.  My grandfather and Uncle used to rattle off quotes and they knew every one of Shakespeare's Plays. 

They have since passed and no one in our entire family knows a stitch about Shakespeare.  I hope that I can start my journey and learn about his plays in a friendly environment. 

I'm glad I found this book club! 

Welcome, LalQ!  I can't think of a more loving reason to want to know more about Shakespeare than to connect with family members (and/or their memories) who appreciate/d him.

This is, indeed, a friendly environment where you can ask questions and get lots of help.  We have some folks here who might rival your grandpa and uncle in quotes and knowledge!

Wouldn't it be great if you could throw one or two quotes out at the next family gathering and help everyone remember your relatives by carrying on the tradition?  So nice.

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
sycorax
0 Kudos

Hi -- this is my first official post to any BN Book Club, so we'll see how this goes, haha.

Shakespeare has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I was homeschooled by my parents, and my dad (a professor of theatre) taught me to read through the study of different Shakespearean monologues. Once I started public school, I had the opportunity to further involve myself in the Bard's work by participating in the Utah Shakespearean Festival's high school competition.

Right now I'm getting ready for my sophomore year in college, where I am majoring in English and theatre. I love analysis from both literary and theatrical standpoints, and hope I am able to throw myself into some excellent discussion here.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

sycorax wrote:

Hi -- this is my first official post to any BN Book Club, so we'll see how this goes, haha.

Shakespeare has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I was homeschooled by my parents, and my dad (a professor of theatre) taught me to read through the study of different Shakespearean monologues. Once I started public school, I had the opportunity to further involve myself in the Bard's work by participating in the Utah Shakespearean Festival's high school competition.

Right now I'm getting ready for my sophomore year in college, where I am majoring in English and theatre. I love analysis from both literary and theatrical standpoints, and hope I am able to throw myself into some excellent discussion here.

Welcome, sycorax!  It's a pleasure to have you with us.  We're talking about The Tempest through May, but feel free to add to any thread on the board at any time.  Hop right in wherever the interest strikes you!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Sycorax--that's a terrific user name. 

We're just finishing up discussing The Tempest, and Sycorax is a character in the play, albeit unseen.  She's a witch who was the mother of Caliban.  She was banished from Algiers to the island Prospero later lives on.

New User
iloveedwardcullenRM
0 Kudos

Hey!!!

I have been a dedicated shakespeare reader since first grade, and really love his plays. I am an actress and a also a playwright( i am currently writing a play for my high school, well not really the whole thing it is a show called tragectories and you can write one act plays but i am kind of the only writer). I personally HATE Romeo and Juliet it is ARGH I think we should read Macbeth instead it is very annoying. I am 15 ( and 3 monthes 4 days). And just to put it out there the worst movie i've every seen is Romeo& Juliet starring Leonado Dicaprio, the 1968 version was soo much better. I relly enjoyed Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, Macbeth, Twelth Night, and his sonnets. I did not like The merchant of Venice, The Tempest, and as metioned Romeo & Juliet. Strangley I've never done any Shakespeare plays...but I want to!! I won't use my real name since that is dangerous so I can be called Riley.

Sincerly

Riley

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

iloveedwardcullenRM wrote:

Hey!!!

I have been a dedicated shakespeare reader since first grade, and really love his plays. I am an actress and a also a playwright( i am currently writing a play for my high school, well not really the whole thing it is a show called tragectories and you can write one act plays but i am kind of the only writer). I personally HATE Romeo and Juliet it is ARGH I think we should read Macbeth instead it is very annoying. I am 15 ( and 3 monthes 4 days). And just to put it out there the worst movie i've every seen is Romeo& Juliet starring Leonado Dicaprio, the 1968 version was soo much better. I relly enjoyed Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing, Macbeth, Twelth Night, and his sonnets. I did not like The merchant of Venice, The Tempest, and as metioned Romeo & Juliet. Strangley I've never done any Shakespeare plays...but I want to!! I won't use my real name since that is dangerous so I can be called Riley.

Sincerly

Riley

Welcome, Riley!  It's great to have you with us.  Join right in any time.  This month we're featuring Much Ado About Nothing, but you can always add to any of the threads you wish.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Centuryrain
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Century.

I'm young but have this strange need to consume any scribblings i might find that use this sort of dialect. Of course, Shakespeare would be one of the greats! I must say that sometimes i cannot help but speak so oddly due to my reading his plays ever so frequently. I tend to find myself laughing at Shakespear's humor and when i recite something silly, my friends just stare at me as if i'm insane for they do not understand :/ How dissapointing.

By the way, i hope you don't mind a sixteen year old in the group? Though most teens will say they are adults and aren't like everyone else...i will assure you that i am no bothersome child who complains about the simplest of matters. I hardly associate myself with the likes of my schoolmates. I hope this group will be rather insightfull and exciting :smileyhappy:

New User
iloveedwardcullenRM
0 Kudos

Hahaha me too, but since a lot of my friends are actors, or as you might call them "drama geeks", they sometimes laugh with me( or should I say AT me). And I agree I hate it when people are all, teenagers are soo imature that is not everyone some people are quite intellectual. I'd rather not go on anymore I am sure you are quite bored and as a serious analytical minded debator I could go on for a while. But I haven't experinced any good discussion insightfull or exiting, perhaps that will change....
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Centuryrain wrote:

Hello, my name is Century.

I'm young but have this strange need to consume any scribblings i might find that use this sort of dialect. Of course, Shakespeare would be one of the greats! I must say that sometimes i cannot help but speak so oddly due to my reading his plays ever so frequently. I tend to find myself laughing at Shakespear's humor and when i recite something silly, my friends just stare at me as if i'm insane for they do not understand :/ How dissapointing.

By the way, i hope you don't mind a sixteen year old in the group? Though most teens will say they are adults and aren't like everyone else...i will assure you that i am no bothersome child who complains about the simplest of matters. I hardly associate myself with the likes of my schoolmates. I hope this group will be rather insightfull and exciting :smileyhappy:

Hi, Century!  You are certainly most welcome as a 16-year-old here in the Shakespeare Book Club. We've had many teens with us in the past.  No worries!  Just jump in and join the discussion wherever and whenever it interests you.

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

iloveedwardcullenRM wrote:
Hahaha me too, but since a lot of my friends are actors, or as you might call them "drama geeks", they sometimes laugh with me( or should I say AT me). And I agree I hate it when people are all, teenagers are soo imature that is not everyone some people are quite intellectual. I'd rather not go on anymore I am sure you are quite bored and as a serious analytical minded debator I could go on for a while. But I haven't experinced any good discussion insightfull or exiting, perhaps that will change....

Welcome, ilovedwardcullenRM!  Great to have you. We're talking about Much Ado About Nothing this month, but you can always add to a previous thread about any topic at any time.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 295 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: