Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ToughButFair
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi

I found this club to be in touch with other folks and make my reading a regular thing

Shakespeare is something I always wanted to read and had smaller versions of it during my school days

Hoping to get back in tune

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

ToughButFair wrote:

Hi

I found this club to be in touch with other folks and make my reading a regular thing

Shakespeare is something I always wanted to read and had smaller versions of it during my school days

Hoping to get back in tune

Welcome, ToughButFair!  Stop by any time.  The club is flexible to be here whenever you like!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
DylanMeeks
0 Kudos

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Dylan and I'm a freelance writer. I read my first Shakespeare play in 6th grade (Romeo and Juliet) and have been a devoted fan ever since. "As You Like It" is probably one of my favorites, but I also love "Hamlet" and "Much Ado About Nothing."

Although my professors have gone into detail about the more popular Shakespearean plays. I'm interesting in discussing some of the less popular Shakespeare plays and sonnets, that many people don't talk about very much.

I'm excited to be part of the group!

DM

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

DylanMeeks wrote:

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Dylan and I'm a freelance writer. I read my first Shakespeare play in 6th grade (Romeo and Juliet) and have been a devoted fan ever since. "As You Like It" is probably one of my favorites, but I also love "Hamlet" and "Much Ado About Nothing."

Although my professors have gone into detail about the more popular Shakespearean plays. I'm interesting in discussing some of the less popular Shakespeare plays and sonnets, that many people don't talk about very much.

DM

Welcome, Dylan!  It's great to have you with us.  We normally talk about one play/month and some months we alternate with sonnets.  We're doing the sonnets throughout July, for instance, but will return to talking about a play in August.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

I have been participating a bit in this book club and forgot to introduce myself first. I was an English major in college and studied Shakespeare. I was a middle school  English teacher and gave my students a taste of Shakespeare. I am now a private tutor and read Shakespeare with my students. I have seen many Shakespearean plays since I am fortunate enough to live in New York City. I also write poetry and have dared a sonnet once or twice and failed miserably.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mariposa wrote:
I have been participating a bit in this book club and forgot to introduce myself first. I was an English major in college and studied Shakespeare. I was a middle school  English teacher and gave my students a taste of Shakespeare. I am now a private tutor and read Shakespeare with my students. I have seen many Shakespearean plays since I am fortunate enough to live in New York City. I also write poetry and have dared a sonnet once or twice and failed miserably.

In case I haven't welcomed you elsewhere on the board, Mariposa, I want to be sure to do it here.  Thanks for telling us more about you!  You just gave me an idea for a new thread that maybe I'll post this week!  :smileywink:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
lovepink1980
0 Kudos

Hi~ I am new to the bookclub experience and I am looking forward to reading, having discussions and making new friends.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

lovepink1980 wrote:
Hi~ I am new to the bookclub experience and I am looking forward to reading, having discussions and making new friends.

Welcome, lovepink1980!  I hope you enjoy the online book club format.  I've been involved here at B&N.com since 2002 and have enjoyed it all that time.  We look forward to your participation!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Correspondent
passi0nate_1
0 Kudos

Hey, I've been around book clubs before but shakespeare is something I've always wanted to get really into it. I've been doing a little shakespeare in high school and I want to learn so much more. Looking forward to it!

Music is the cure.
I am the addiction.
Reader
battlemaiden
0 Kudos

Hi, I've enjoyed reading Shakespeare since High School and have recently been reading some of his histories ( Richard III, and Henry IV and V). I also enjoy reading English history especially about the War of the Roses and Tudor  periods. I'm new to online book clubs and am looking forward to the experience.

New User
fire55
0 Kudos

I can definitely recommend a few you would love! "A thralls tale" is a great read, but if you like the English period novels from the 9th to the 16th century (as I do) then you must read "the Jester", It is a true page turner. Check out the author Bernard Cornwall. His latest book "Agincourt" is a must read, especially if you the history on Henry V. Also, Cornwall's "Archer" was exceptional as well. 
New User
Renwick-Prime
0 Kudos

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Anthony and I'm an incoming graduate student for Psychology in SFA and after that, I plan on branching on for my PhD in Clinical Psychology. I have read my first Shakespeare play in high school, that being Romeo and Juliet.  Ever since college, I love Shakespeare and have read numerous works of his. Recently read, The Tempest, Titus Andronicus, A Comedy of Errors, and As You Like It.  Currently reading Pericles.  (I have this goal to read all of his works).

I'm interesting in discussing some of the less popular Shakespeare plays, like Coriolanus, Antony & Cleopatra, and King John, and the sonnets, that many people don't talk about very much.

Anthony Renwick

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

passi0nate_1 wrote:

Hey, I've been around book clubs before but shakespeare is something I've always wanted to get really into it. I've been doing a little shakespeare in high school and I want to learn so much more. Looking forward to it!

Super!  Glad to have you, oh, passiOnate_1!  We have members of all reading levels here, so feel free to ask any questions at any time.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

battlemaiden wrote:

Hi, I've enjoyed reading Shakespeare since High School and have recently been reading some of his histories ( Richard III, and Henry IV and V). I also enjoy reading English history especially about the War of the Roses and Tudor  periods. I'm new to online book clubs and am looking forward to the experience.

Welcome, battlemaiden!  We should be doing a history play sometime this next "season."  I hope you enjoy the online book club!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

fire55 wrote:
I can definitely recommend a few you would love! "A thralls tale" is a great read, but if you like the English period novels from the 9th to the 16th century (as I do) then you must read "the Jester", It is a true page turner. Check out the author Bernard Cornwall. His latest book "Agincourt" is a must read, especially if you the history on Henry V. Also, Cornwall's "Archer" was exceptional as well. 

Welcome, fire55, if I didn't do so before.  You can help us follow the coversation by clicking on "Quote Post" at the top right of the Reply screen.  That will copy the post you're replying to in the space, and then you can type your reply underneath it, and we'll know what you're referring back to.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Renwick-Prime wrote:

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Anthony and I'm an incoming graduate student for Psychology in SFA and after that, I plan on branching on for my PhD in Clinical Psychology. I have read my first Shakespeare play in high school, that being Romeo and Juliet.  Ever since college, I love Shakespeare and have read numerous works of his. Recently read, The Tempest, Titus Andronicus, A Comedy of Errors, and As You Like It.  Currently reading Pericles.  (I have this goal to read all of his works).

I'm interesting in discussing some of the less popular Shakespeare plays, like Coriolanus, Antony & Cleopatra, and King John, and the sonnets, that many people don't talk about very much.

Anthony Renwick

Welcome, Anthony!  We're currently discussing the sonnets through August, then will pick a play for September.  We'll let folks know the play's title next week. 

Glad to have you with us!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Midwest77
0 Kudos

Looking forward to reading some Shakespeare again!  
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Midwest77 wrote:
Looking forward to reading some Shakespeare again!  

Welcome, Midwest!  We're reading the Sonnets this month (we return to them from time to time throughout the year), but we will start a new play in September.  EnJOY!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
ybeltorres
0 Kudos

Hello. I was wondering if i could still join your book club? I am 20 years old and an avid reader! However, I dont fare too well with Shakespeare... I find it a bit difficult to understand now that I don't have a teacher breaking things down for me. I am determined not to give up yet, so i was hoping this would help! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ybeltorres wrote:

Hello. I was wondering if i could still join your book club? I am 20 years old and an avid reader! However, I dont fare too well with Shakespeare... I find it a bit difficult to understand now that I don't have a teacher breaking things down for me. I am determined not to give up yet, so i was hoping this would help! :smileyhappy:

Ybeltorres -- glad you are joining us!  Do know that there are others of us that struggle with the Great Bard, perhaps have not read him or seen one of his plays for some time, yet realize that there are lines that we may recall thanks to some teacher of many years past (not your issue your age!).  Your avid reading years ahead are likely to profit from whatever investments of time you may be able to make in exploring his plays and sonnets!

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 1,078 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: