Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

Re: Macbeth Films

My line-up includes:

- BBC with Nicol Williamson, Jane Lapotire - Watched this and it is a good solid standard production.

- An English film set in a post holocaust era with Sean Pertwee, Greta Scacchi. Actually works and an interesting interpretation of the character Macbeth.

- Roman Polanski's Macbeth with Jon Finch and Francesca Annis. Excellent but graphic film with nudity. Another good (and different) interpretation.

- Orson Wells - Watched it before but will have to watch it again.

- Royal Shakespeare with Ian McKellen and Judi Dench. Haven't watched this yet but really looking forward to it.

- I've also have Throne of Blood on my list but saving it for last.

Bucky
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Welcome back, Bucky!

leakybucket wrote:
My line-up includes:

- BBC with Nicol Williamson, Jane Lapotire - Watched this and it is a good solid standard production.

- An English film set in a post holocaust era with Sean Pertwee, Greta Scacchi. Actually works and an interesting interpretation of the character Macbeth.

- Roman Polanski's Macbeth with Jon Finch and Francesca Annis. Excellent but graphic film with nudity. Another good (and different) interpretation.

- Orson Wells - Watched it before but will have to watch it again.

- Royal Shakespeare with Ian McKellen and Judi Dench. Haven't watched this yet but really looking forward to it.

- I've also have Throne of Blood on my list but saving it for last.

Bucky

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

Laurel Wrote:

Second, the Zurich Opera production of Verdi's Macbeth, starring Thomas Hampson. This is about the sixth time I've seen this weird production, and it finally made perfect sense to me last night, thanks to our readings here. It starts out with the weird sisters, of course, and they are truly weird--they are obviously residents of an insane asylum, or should be. As they give Macbeth their prophecies you can hear madness coming on in his voice and see it in his face. From here on, the madness only deepens for Macbeth and his wife, and there's no language but Italian for madness. There's more--the music is glorious, the singers are perfect, the use of children is heartbreaking, the imagery of written words is thought-provaking--but that's all the opera I will bore you with today.
-----------------------------

I like this version too and think Hampson is the best Macbeth (operatically), but still don't understand a lot of it. Maybe you can enlighten us next November when we get to Verdi's Macbeth again.

Bucky
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

bdnmgrey wrote:
This may not be the appropriate spot for this post, but here goes. There is also an interesting operatic treatment of the theme, though not close to the Shakespeare text. It is the opera by Dmitri Shostakovich, the great Soviet composer. The opera is called "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk," and is one of the great operas of the 20th c. Shostakovich was originally lauded for the work, but then Stalin saw a production, hated it, wrote a negative review in "Pravda" where he attacked Shostakovich's formalism, and Shostakovich had to apologize for the work.
One further note -- there is a Japanese film treatment of the story called "Throne of Blood" -- great film.

Not really a "Macbeth". I suppose there is kind of tie-in since Ismailova gets her lover to murder her husband but beyond that not a lot else in common. One of my favorite operas but pretty brutal. Too bad Shostakovich was so scared out of his wits that he never wrote another opera.

Bucky
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

I think Stalin disapproved more because it didn't adhere to what Stalin envisioned should be the Soviet music standard. Also there is a bit of negative satire towards the police. Either that or it was too brutal for him!

Bucky

Choisya wrote:
Thanks a lot for this insight into what can be done with Shakespeare's plays worldwide Bdnmgrey. It just shows what great literature can do to inspire people through the ages. Do you suppose that Stalin hated the production because it dealt with the killing of a ruler??

bdnmgrey wrote:
This may not be the appropriate spot for this post, but here goes. There is also an interesting operatic treatment of the theme, though not close to the Shakespeare text. It is the opera by Dmitri Shostakovich, the great Soviet composer. The opera is called "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk," and is one of the great operas of the 20th c. Shostakovich was originally lauded for the work, but then Stalin saw a production, hated it, wrote a negative review in "Pravda" where he attacked Shostakovich's formalism, and Shostakovich had to apologize for the work.
One further note -- there is a Japanese film treatment of the story called "Throne of Blood" -- great film.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I find that far too proscriptive Everyman because it would mean missing out on a lot of classics, which we both favour. I rarely do any modern literature. I had thought we had been getting on better lately but it seems I was mistaken:smileysad:.

(And I was joking Laurel. I have now removed the message, although I can't remove it where it was copied in other folks' posts.)

Everyman wrote:
Probably the best thing would be for us not to discuss the same books, but to agree to alternate participation. She has said she doesn't want to do paradise Lost, so I'll do that and leave Utopia and Mansfield Park to her. In Shakespeare, we can alternate; I'll let her have the choice whether she wants to take the next play after Macbeth or leave that to me, and then we can alternate, a month on and a month off for each.

That's probably the only way to assure peaceful coexistence.

Laurel wrote:
I think it would be a good rule for the two of you not to say anything about each other. Ever.

Choisya wrote:
Sorry Everyman - I was only joking:smileysad:. I know how you dislike these sort of productions.

Everyman wrote:
Even with the smiley, that was gratitous and unnecessary.

Choisya wrote:
Oh my yet another production to upset Everyman:smileysurprised: Sit down and have a drink of Earl Grey Everyman.:smileyhappy:

bdnmgrey wrote:
There is a version that I think was done for British-TV a few years ago. It featured Sean Pertwee in the title role, and Greta Scacchi (sp?) as Lady Macbeth. The film was shot in what looked like a quarry, and the costuming looked like something post-apocalyptic (rather like Road Warrior or Mad Max). It's such a dark story that this sort of look seemed to fit pretty well.

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-16-200702:32 AM

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-16-200708:42 AM

Frequent Contributor
cheryl_shell
0 Kudos

Throne of Blood

Laurel wrote:
I've been avoiding Shostakovich's opera, but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. Do you recommend the Japanese film?

bdnmgrey wrote:

Laurel, I will jump in here and say that I definitely recommend the Kurosawa version, Throne of Blood. It's different, but fascinating, and very well done. And it's fun to see how Kurosawa has changed the basic plot.
Frequent Contributor
cheryl_shell
0 Kudos

Men of Respect

Laurel wrote:

cheryl_shell wrote:

I agree, Laurel. Welles does a fine job in this movie. He really is a superb actor, although I must say the film is a little melodramatic for my taste. As for the Verdi, I'm intrigued. Italian for madness? Hmmmm . . .

Very passionate. You knowa what I mean?

If you want more Italian Macbeth (though decidedly unmusical), I'd also recommend Men of Respect, starring John Turturro. It's dark, moody, scary--all the elements of Macbeth, but set in modern times in--of course--the Mafia. Since our love affair with La Cosa Nostra continues, I think it's time for a revival of this film!
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Throne of Blood

Thanks, Cheryl! I've put a hold on it at my library.

cheryl_shell wrote:

Laurel wrote:
I've been avoiding Shostakovich's opera, but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. Do you recommend the Japanese film?

bdnmgrey wrote:

Laurel, I will jump in here and say that I definitely recommend the Kurosawa version, Throne of Blood. It's different, but fascinating, and very well done. And it's fun to see how Kurosawa has changed the basic plot.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Men of Respect

"If you want more Italian Macbeth (though decidedly unmusical), I'd also recommend Men of Respect, starring John Turturro. It's dark, moody, scary--all the elements of Macbeth, but set in modern times in--of course--the Mafia. Since our love affair with La Cosa Nostra continues, I think it's time for a revival of this film!" --Cheryl

Thanks, cheryl. I found it.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks for that recommendation Cheryl - I will order it from my FVF Club. Is the Shostakovitch on DVD Laurel?

cheryl_shell wrote:

Laurel wrote:

bdnmgrey wrote:

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

At least thrice.

Choisya wrote:
Thanks for that recommendation Cheryl - I will order it from my FVF Club. Is the Shostakovitch on DVD Laurel?

cheryl_shell wrote:

Laurel wrote:

bdnmgrey wrote:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

What all the movies so far have gotten wrong is that they don't understand that Duncan was never actually killed, that it was all a dream of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. But later editions cut out the waking up scene and Duncan's presence at the banquet, so modern audiences don't see how it was really intended to be.
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
What all the movies so far have gotten wrong is that they don't understand that Duncan was never actually killed, that it was all a dream of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. But later editions cut out the waking up scene and Duncan's presence at the banquet, so modern audiences don't see how it was really intended to be.

They're waiting for you.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
An interesting variation Everyman?:smileyhappy:

Laurel wrote:

Everyman wrote:

They're waiting for you.

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-17-200712:33 PM

Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Has anyone yet mentioned Scotland, PA? It's an interesting indie film loosely based on McBeth, starring Maura Tiernay and Christopher Walken.

Here's the plot description from IMDB:

Joe McBeth is a hard-working but unambitious doofus who toils at a hamburger stand alongside his wife Pat, who has a significant edge in the brains department. Pat is convinced she could do a lot better with the place than their boss Norm Duncan is doing, so she works up a plan to usurp Norm, convincing Mac to rob the restaurant's safe and then murder Norm, using the robbery as a way of throwing the police off their trail. Though two stoners and a would-be fortune teller warn Mac that bad luck awaits him, he gathers his courage and goes through with his wife's scheme. At first, things seem to have gone just as Pat hoped, and after Norm's sons sell the restaurant to the McBeths (they pay for it with the money they stole from Norm), business takes off. But vegetarian police detective McDuff is convinced there's foul play at the new center of the fast food universe, and when the McBeths fear that fry cook Banco knows more than he's letting on, Mac takes charge in the plotting department and decides there may be more dead meat on the menu.

I kid you not. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265713/.

cheryl_shell wrote:
Here is a space to recommend and critique film versions (and adaptations) of Macbeth.

The film I like the most is Roman Polanski's version. The cinematography is fabulous and really makes you feel like you are there in Scotland in the middle ages. Also excellent is the choice of actors: the youth of Macbeth and his wife, and the fact that both are so attractive makes the sexual undercurrent that I've always thought was present in this play much more evident. The witches are almost too creepy, but that works too. After all, they're supposed to be scary.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Macbeth Films & Plays

[ Edited ]
LOL Friery - Now that really is divergent thinking! I love the idea of a vegetarian McDuff and a Fry cook called Banco!:smileyhappy:

I wonder if anyone saw this American production last year, which imagines Macbeth as President Lyndon Johnson:-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/12/AR2006091201349.html?nav=emailpage

friery wrote:
Has anyone yet mentioned Scotland, PA? It's an interesting indie film loosely based on McBeth, starring Maura Tiernay and Christopher Walken.

Here's the plot description from IMDB:

Joe McBeth is a hard-working but unambitious doofus who toils at a hamburger stand alongside his wife Pat, who has a significant edge in the brains department. Pat is convinced she could do a lot better with the place than their boss Norm Duncan is doing, so she works up a plan to usurp Norm, convincing Mac to rob the restaurant's safe and then murder Norm, using the robbery as a way of throwing the police off their trail. Though two stoners and a would-be fortune teller warn Mac that bad luck awaits him, he gathers his courage and goes through with his wife's scheme. At first, things seem to have gone just as Pat hoped, and after Norm's sons sell the restaurant to the McBeths (they pay for it with the money they stole from Norm), business takes off. But vegetarian police detective McDuff is convinced there's foul play at the new center of the fast food universe, and when the McBeths fear that fry cook Banco knows more than he's letting on, Mac takes charge in the plotting department and decides there may be more dead meat on the menu.

I kid you not. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265713/.

cheryl_shell wrote:
Here is a space to recommend and critique film versions (and adaptations) of Macbeth.

The film I like the most is Roman Polanski's version. The cinematography is fabulous and really makes you feel like you are there in Scotland in the middle ages. Also excellent is the choice of actors: the youth of Macbeth and his wife, and the fact that both are so attractive makes the sexual undercurrent that I've always thought was present in this play much more evident. The witches are almost too creepy, but that works too. After all, they're supposed to be scary.

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-17-200712:04 PM

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-17-200712:15 PM

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Can you cite textual evidence for that interesting variation Everyman?

Cheryl has made clear that there is no need at all here to cite textual evidence for any position taken. So get off my back.
0 Kudos

Re: Throne of Blood and other Variations.

[ Edited ]
ROFL Everyman.

Everyman wrote:

Choisya wrote:
Can you cite textual evidence for that interesting variation Everyman?

Cheryl has made clear that there is no need at all here to cite textual evidence for any position taken. So get off my back.

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-17-200701:35 PM

Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Re: Macbeth Films & Plays

Maura Tiernay does a pretty credible Lady M in Scotland, PA. (Someone once called her "a thinking man's Carmen Electra." That's Maura Tiernay, BTW, not Lady M.)

Choisya wrote:
LOL Friery - Now that really is divergent thinking! I love the idea of a vegetarian McDuff and a Fry cook called Banco.

friery wrote:
Has anyone yet mentioned Scotland, PA? It's an interesting indie film loosely based on MacBeth, starring Maura Tiernay and Christopher Walken.

cheryl_shell wrote:

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 435 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: